Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

eBook Readers: Kindle vs Nook vs other — any recent experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBook Readers: Kindle vs Nook vs other — any recent experience?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just as an FYI, Amazon doubled the memory to 4GB.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/15/a...white-storage/
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I have a Kindle DX with the keyboard. It's heavy and cumbersome to use the keyboard unless you have it lying flat. No two-thumb typing here. I wish I had my old original kindle back (lost it).

Last edited by Nanook; Aug 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by manneca
I have the basic Kindle and an old Nook. I think there are more books available for the kindle. I like the basic Kindle because it uses eInk. You can read kindle books on an iPad (as well as Nook books), so my first question is why would you want a kindle if you have an iPad
These days it's very easy to convert books into/out of Kindle/Nook/Sony/Google Play Books/Adobe formats, if you don't mind buying them on your computer and then converting them.

I don't know if there's any way to get books out of iBooks or Kobo for other readers.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The Ultimate Ebook Library.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by nkedel

I don't know if there's any way to get books out of iBooks or Kobo for other readers.
Not sure about iBooks but Kobo uses standard epub format. I've had 2 Kobo's. I dropped the first one and it landed screen first on the corner of a dresser. I replaced that with a Kobo Glo which I rate very highly.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Just as an FYI, Amazon doubled the memory to 4GB.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/15/a...white-storage/
This is a plus but I found out on my Kindle 4 that too many books just slowed it down.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new Kindle Voyager review:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/20/a...voyage-review/

Looks nice, but not $200 nice to pull my away from 1, my Paperwhite, and 2, a regular book.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
The new Kindle Voyager review:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/20/a...voyage-review/

Looks nice, but not $200 nice to pull my away from 1, my Paperwhite, and 2, a regular book.
Yeah, it doesn't seem worth the premium. I'm figuring it's probably going to come down in time.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:09 am
formerly known as ravishah

I have had a couple of Sony's and Kindles

Sony PRS - great build (metal) could have external mem cards and played music but was heavy
Kindle - light, works as I have Prime so get the free book a month
Kindle Paperwhite - love it as it doesnt really weigh more than my other kindle, can read in bed while the other half sleeps

I would recommend you get a cheap cover to protect it a bit e.g. on the beach etc I use mine all the time there saves me taking the ipad out and not that worried as it is cheap.

I think the browser is beyond rubbish so only every use it to login to wi-fi e.g. at hotels normally I have my phone if I need the web.

Also recommend Calibre like the others have as you can get plenty of free books and covert them to work.

Only downside if you like books/comics with pictures then they will not look that great, maps are okay.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:27 am

Long time Kindle fan. Owned the keyboard model and luved it...upgraded to Paperwhite back in summer and it was even better. But heard that new model coming so returned the Paperwhite before 30 days. Only downside for Paperwhite was the cumbersome turn page function and was looking forward to new model.

My Voyage literally just arrived, opened to check out, set up and load a book. Initial comments:

1. Touch screen not as sensitive as paperwhite, almost have to jab and/or press hard on screen?

2. Lighting in my office with a skylight isn't great. I've set it for auto mode, so it adjusts to local environment. It's also raining outside so no sunlight to test outdoors.

3. I sent a back via wifi but even sync/download nothing. Then downloaded using usb, again nothing. Did a reset and same two titles appeared?

4. Turning pages is easier but much prefer the old keyboard kindle buttons ;(

So far, not wowed, especially with the premium pricing....fortunately have 30 days to try out! YMMV
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:05 pm

Anybody here tried one of the premium e-readers? Not the cheap (as in price) ones by Amazon or BN.
I thought the flexible screen one is especially cool. Don't know if that is actually useful though.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:53 pm

Kindle Fire HD7 is a fully packed HD tablet with all features at a breakthrough price. it is easy to share with all your family as it has always been one of the best android tablets.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paperwhite has been updated again. Higher resolution screen listed as the improvement. The storage is listed as[strike] just "thousands." 4 GB.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...le-paperwhite/

Last edited by WIRunner; Jun 17, 2015 at 11:32 am Reason: Added link and storage info.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The Kobo Aura H2O has a larger screen, waterproof, fantastic even lighting . Oh and you are not buying the reader of a company which can and did reach into their customers readers and removed a book they bought. Yes, there was a short period of time when I wavered and had a Paperwhite when it was the only lighted screen reader but I got rid of it ASAP and now I am back to a staunch anti Kindle position.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I had an old Sony PRS that I simply did not use much. Heavy, no wifi, seemingly short battery life.

Last year I bought a Kindle Paperwhite. It's lightweight, love the adjustable screen light, long battery life, very responsive. In fact I sometimes tap the screen by mistake (usually while holding it up to read in bed) and it changes the page. A cheap flip stand case is great for protecting the screen and instantly putting into sleep mode although the stand doesn't work in landscape mode.

I like the little extras: dictionary, highlighting, annotations.

The browser is only good for checking reviews of other books on Amazon so you can spend even more money on 1-click, LOL.

If I want colour, high resolution and a great browser experience I use my phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.