Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Anyone can give me a old Windows XP Pro Key?

Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Hi. Can anyone provide me a legal Windows XP Pro Key he didn't need anymore? Have to create a virtual image of my old system but I can't activate it with my old key, hotline say its fraud. I have the original label and its a HP OEM PC, so I really don't know why its not working.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Does it have anything to do with Windows XP no longer being supported?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:11 am
Original Poster

I don't think so. Its still possible to download updates for XP, they just dont release new updates.
I have a special software that I can only use with XP, so I need to keep it alive in a virtual system.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 31570324
Hi. Can anyone provide me a legal Windows XP Pro Key he didn't need anymore? Have to create a virtual image of my old system but I can't activate it with my old key, hotline say its fraud. I have the original label and its a HP OEM PC, so I really don't know why its not working.
It's not working because it's an OEM key.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457078.aspx
Large PC Manufacturers known as Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have the ability to pre-activate Microsoft® Windows XP software installed on new PCs. As a result, end users are typically not required to activate the software during the set up process by typing in the product key found on the Certificate of Authenticity attached to the PC (COA Key).

In order to reduce a significant source of piracy, Microsoft has disabled online activation for COA Keys that are attached to PCs that have been pre-activated by OEMs. This change should have a minimal impact on licensed users who generally do not use their COA Key to activate the software because it has been pre-activated by the OEM. However, if a licensed end user needs to activate because the OEM pre-activation does not work as expected (e.g., after the replacement of a defective motherboard) they can do so via phone-based activation.

To help minimize the potential impact on licensed users, this whitepaper provides steps licensed end users can take to preserve OEM pre-activation when reinstalling the operating system using any of the four scenarios outlined below (sysprep, OOBEinfo, manual and unattended).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Poster

they can do so via phone-based activation .... Thats exactly what I did but its not working for me. May someone have a valid Key he don't need anymore, I guess there a lot useless Keys in many offices now.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
If you have no luck here, there are lots of keys to software floating around the internet... some are more easily available than others.

Try googling for starters, and then go into various forums where people exchange software and other files. Be aware, of course, that what you're trying to do is technically illegal.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though it's old software, I believe this still technically constitutes piracy. Let's keep the conversation to (legitimate) ways to activate the OP's copy of XP.

That said, I seem to recall being able to speak to an actual person on the activation line. Tell them you had to switch the motherboard and hard drive.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:54 am

if you look on the back on your old computer most likely it will work on another computer unless you have reloaded with that ID.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that wouldn't work.

You have a key that's tied to HP hardware and you're trying to run it on something that's not an HP.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I created a copy of the old activated windows with VM Converter, so I guess this should imitate the old hardware to the image?
I can't get in contact with any human person from on the activation hotline, its just a voice machine. No option fo speak a real person.
If its necessary I buy a Key from ebay, but I thought a lot people still own useless keys for Windows XP. One nice guy from this board send me one, but it wasn't for Win XP Pro.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I created a copy of the old activated windows with VM Converter, so I guess this should imitate the old hardware to the image?
I can't get in contact with any human person from on the activation hotline, its just a voice machine. No option fo speak a real person.
If its necessary I buy a Key from ebay, but I thought a lot people still own useless keys for Windows XP. One nice guy from this board send me one, but it wasn't for Win XP Pro.
Usually if activation by phone fails, you are transferred to a live agent. Don't know if that changed with XP end of life though.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Usually if activation by phone fails, you are transferred to a live agent. Don't know if that changed with XP end of life though.

No transfer, just the information that I possible have a illegal Key, thats it.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can You Move Windows To A New Computer

If it's a retail Full or Upgrade license - yes. You can move it to a different computer as long as it's only installed on one computer at a time (and if it's a Windows 7 Upgrade version the new computer must have it's own qualifying license). The previous Windows installation on the old computer must be formatted/deleted. You might have to call Microsoft and explain what happened to complete the activation. Activating it on the second computer will automatically in effect "deactivate" the license for the first computer. The key will work with both 32 and 64 bit, but only one can be installed at a time.

If it's an OEM license - no. OEM licenses, including Windows preinstalled on a computer before purchase and Windows bought separately, are tied to the first computer they are installed on and can not be transferred to a different computer. To install Windows on a different computer you will need to buy another copy.
You might have better luck finding a cracked XP ISO on a torrent site...not that I would encourage such a thing.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL GM
Nope. When you convert a physical machine to virtual a Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) is created on the guest VM to abstract the virtual guest XP operating system from the physical host hardware. Windows XP in the newly converted virtual machine detects this as a change in hardware and prompts for reactivation of the OS.

It's unlikely that Microsoft will re-enable your OEM XP license to run on an alternate platform than that it was originally licensed for.

If your new OS is Windows 7 you might look into Windows XP Mode, which is essentially a fully licensed virtual instance of Windows XP running on Windows 7. It's included for free with Windows 7, but not with Windows 8.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all, after further consideration I've decided to close the thread. It's just close enough to illegal activity to give me pause, and the OP's question has been answered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.