Search

Someone used my email to subscribe to mailing lists

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by paytonc
If there's an help form, I use it and berate the company for not requiring email verification. If there's a "lost password" link, I use it, and change both the password and email address to gobbedlygook (hey, they're not verifying email addresses, right?).
I usually change it to, "[email protected]"...if they're going to spam me, they can spam themselves instead.

I do admit, I got an email from an unnamed airline that I've never flown telling me that my miles were going to expire but I could use them for magazine subscriptions. Clicked on the "I forgot my password" link. Got the password. Ordered myself some magazines. If you're too much of an idiot to know your own email address, well, then you're undeserving of your miles.

The one that's pissing me off of late: Apparently there's some law requiring sites geared toward young kids to collect the parent's email address when a child registers. And I'll get emails--from major companies, like Disney--saying, "Your kid Honey Boo-Boo registered for an account and listed you as their responsible parent." Except I don't have a kid named Honey Boo-Boo. And it's almost impossible to go online and say, "No, I didn't authorize this account. Please delete it."
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I usually change it to, "[email protected]"...if they're going to spam me, they can spam themselves instead.

I do admit, I got an email from an unnamed airline that I've never flown telling me that my miles were going to expire but I could use them for magazine subscriptions. Clicked on the "I forgot my password" link. Got the password. Ordered myself some magazines. If you're too much of an idiot to know your own email address, well, then you're undeserving of your miles.

The one that's pissing me off of late: Apparently there's some law requiring sites geared toward young kids to collect the parent's email address when a child registers. And I'll get emails--from major companies, like Disney--saying, "Your kid Honey Boo-Boo registered for an account and listed you as their responsible parent." Except I don't have a kid named Honey Boo-Boo. And it's almost impossible to go online and say, "No, I didn't authorize this account. Please delete it."
That really sucks. Especially since one would think that would be an automatic option for a sign up like that (a parent having the ability to shut down their kids account)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zeeb
That really sucks. Especially since one would think that would be an automatic option for a sign up like that (a parent having the ability to shut down their kids account)
I know...right?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I was getting these as well about a year ago to an unused email account. I originally thought it was legitimate, as there was a place for me to unsubscribe, however, I wonder if it wasn't a phishing expedition trying to get a parent to sign up with some personal information. After a few months it stopped.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I was getting these as well about a year ago to an unused email account. I originally thought it was legitimate, as there was a place for me to unsubscribe, however, I wonder if it wasn't a phishing expedition trying to get a parent to sign up with some personal information. After a few months it stopped.
I don't think that's the case with the ones I've received. Most come from major companies (Disney and the like) and don't seem to be asking the parent to do anything.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Got it. The ones I got wanted me to confirm it was ok to allow access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.