Finsix vs. Twinkle 65

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finsix vs. Twinkle 65

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Finsix vs. Twinkle 65

I know we're expecting the Finsix out soon, http://www.finsix.com/index.html, but has anyone had any experience with the Twinkle 65: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-notebook-a...rds=twinkle+65?

Looks to be approximately double the weight of the Finsix (45 gm vs. 100 gm) and a bit bigger in size (ignoring the cords, roughly USB thumb drive for the Finsix while pack of cards size for the Twinkle). The EU plug is nice, but a weird oversight that Twinkle doesn't provide a UK plug. Two advantages for the Twinkle: based on the rumors of the Finsix's cost, which are certainly subject to revision, about 60% of the price, and it's available now. A big advantage for Finsix, and I mean this seriously: it just looks cooler.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Since no one had apparently had any experience with the Twinkle 65, I ordered one from Newegg--$45 with free shipping so worth satisfying my curiosity: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0B1-00WM-00001. This isn't a direct comparison with the Finsix since that hasn't hit the market as of the date of this post.

The intended use is for a Samsung NC10 netbook that is in third place on the list of portable machines I have, behind a Lenovo and an HP but which may very well go with me this summer for six weeks in the UK and which will, unsurprisingly, be used for non-power user tasks, such as email and word processing--graphics-intensive apps are just not part of my work. It easily runs Windows 7 and Office 2010 and is about 75% of the size of the HP 11.6" ultrabook I was thinking of taking instead.

The Twinkle 65 was delivered today. My original estimate of the size of the power block as a pack of cards was a bit inaccurate. It's smaller than that. The Twinkle power block, excluding the power cord and the plug, is more like 80% the size of the Anker 40W charger (as thick but about 20% shorter) and, like the Finsix, is at the plug end of the cord. The power cord, which is eight feet long, is about 50% thinner than the power cord from the computer to the power block and 75% thinner than the cord from the power block to the wall plug. The combination of the smaller block and the thinner power cord results in significant space savings--about 60% smaller than the bulk of the NC charger it replaces, which, of course, was significantly smaller than many of the chargers that were in place before netbooks started changing the game in 2007-2008. I was able to fit the entire unit into a felt bag that originally came with a set of AudioTechnica in-ear headphones.

Interchangeable tips, and it will fully operate on my other two machines apparently. FSP includes a warning that for Dell computers, it may supply power but not recharge the battery. The NC10 was down to about 50% when I plugged the Twinkle into it, and it took about 80 minutes to recharge completely. No unusual heat issues noted with the power block during recharging. As mentioned in my above post, US and EU adapter plugs, but no UK plug available so far as I can tell, even as an add-on, which just seems an odd omission.

Not a game changer, especially given the power supplies for tablets and what's on the horizon from Finsix and USB 3.0 power charging, but a very worthwhile, affordable update for an old machine that might still have a use. There seems to be little traffic for this item--no reviews at Newegg, and very little chatter on the internet. I'll provide any other details I notice as I get to play with this device, but the space savings will make this useful for my trip this summer and may very well make this charger a part of my travel bag even when I'm carrying the HP or Lenovo or, for that matter, the HP laptop assigned by work.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Mar 26, 2014 at 3:13 pm Reason: Spelling correction
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any way to tell whether it will work on a Samsung Series 9 Plus?

Edit; Ordered one anyway, if it doesn't work, I can send it back.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Any way to tell whether it will work on a Samsung Series 9 Plus?

Edit; Ordered one anyway, if it doesn't work, I can send it back.
That was my attitude, but if the Samsung Series 9 is using the same power-in plug as the NC10, there's no reason why not. The caveat FSP mentioned was only for Dell laptops, which we used before switching over to HP at work and which had significantly larger power blocks.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

The Twinkle has a velcro strap attached to the power cord, but if you attach a slight longer strip, such as the type you can purchase at a home improvement store, the thinner cord allows the power cord to be wrapped and secured around the power block--meaning the entire unit can be reduced to a roughly 3" by 4" size, even with the adapter plug and the US power plug attached. Total weight, including power cord and plugs is 160 grams (showing both the original and attached velcro straps--the original is just about an inch too short to wrap entirely around the unit). Here's a photo of the unit placed next to one of those credit card sized free music download offers from Starbucks:

Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: DL GM SPG National Emerald
Smallest Laptop Power Adapter Now Available

very limited quantities as this was a kickstarter campaign but incredibly small power adapter for laptop not needing more than 65W of power (includes Macs too although at a higher price)...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/14/f...ter/#continued

for those who are not in the kickstarter (i.e. probably all of us) they don't ship until November or December but very limited quantities (it was a single production run based upon the kickstart funding of an MIT patent) so I'd recommend jumping on these as quick as possible.
Good luck
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:46 am

I misread the blog entry, the kickstarter campaign is still going so you can get the early pricing. $79 for PC users, $130 for global version, $148 for Macbook (up to 65W) version (higher price due to them having to source MagSafe2 connectors by purchasing retail MBA power adapters @ $79 since they are not available to OEMs).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I just pledged $79 this morning for one. FYI - it also has a 2.1A USB charger inline as well. Hope they make their goal as it would be nice to have that small a charger.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

With the announcement that the Finsix Dart won't actually arrive if you order through Kickstarter until November at the earliest, http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/14/f...ter/#continued, and that the price will be $79/$89/$119, rather than the $45 I paid back in March, I'm pretty glad I got the Twinkle. No problems with this device charging Lenovo, HP, and Samsung laptops/netbooks. No 2.1A USB port, but I've added an inline adapter--and still come out $25 cheaper than the cheapest I can get this through Kickstarter with the added benefit that I'm actually using it now rather than waiting for a possible announcement in September of another delay in product release.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:15 pm

I just pledged for the Mac version. I use a rMBP so unfortunately (well only in this context) this is technically underpowered but I'm counting on it keeping up for the moderate loads I'm typically under and fully bringing battery up during standby charge. My fan doesn't kick on often so I'm sure I'm not pulling nearly the full power requirements of the system (which comes with an 85w PS).

Also, they were at $50k to their $200k goal when I posted this earlier this morning, they are now at $138k. $79 version is sold out already, I'd say jump on this if you're interested.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:48 pm

Wow, that's really cool. But at $148 for an MBA adapter, I'll suffer with lugging around the extra 300g...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
The one thing about the plug-end adapters is that you may need a short extension cord or something, depending on how the outlets are configured. I'm often in conference rooms with the outlets recessed into a well on the tabletop and this would not easily fit in those. Also tricky for certain hotels with not-easily-accessible power outlets. Otherwise, this looks great.

EDIT: found a review for the twinkle 65
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/fsp_twinkle_65/
Overall, the FSP Twinkle 65 Universal Notebook Adapter from FSP Group is a great charger that delivers flexibility, compatibility, and efficiency without any compromise in terms of its compact size or portability. This one is a keeper and the bulky power-brick is on the bench from now on.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I just want more information about the Global Dart. They reference it in the rewards panel, but don't mention it anywhere. Is it like the PlugBug World where you put on a different adapter? They say see the information page for it, but don't have one!

I hope they reply soon. If they take too long and I can't go back to an early bird reward I'll just cancel my pledge.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I opted for the mac version....plenty of power for my macbook air.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nkle-65-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.