Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

AA app forces upgrade to newer Android version - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)

Currently have a Motorola Droid 3 CDMA 'global' phone where the CDMA part is activated on pageplus (Verizon MVNO) for use in the US. The GSM slot has a toggle SIM in it. This has worked very well for me ever since, giving me all the global connectivity I need/want for about $100 per year all in all.
I really like the phone as well with its physical keyboard and full smartphone features.

Now, my problem. The phone runs Android 2.3, which the AA app will cease to support come May. The AA app is a must-have feature.
Seems like I need to either get a new phone or somehow put a newer version of Android on mine.
Are there any phones out there that have a physical keyboard, run Android 4.XX and are NOT 4G/LTE? Verizon will not let any 4G/LTE device run on their network on anything but its (far too expensive and for my needs overblown) contracts and limits prepaid and MVNOs to 3G.

Alternatively, how easy is it to upgrade my current phone to Android 4? Some cursory web research went on about rooting, getting around locked bootloaders and installing custom ROMs. Don't really want to get into all that (and risk bricking my phone). Anyone able to recommend a reliable service provider who could do an upgrade for me?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just backup the current app APK, uninstall all of their apps and keep running the old one. Then, hope it actually still works

Upgrading it to 4 is not that hard, you just need to find a site with the best instructions.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

the wording on the login screen says "After May 31, you will be unable to access our app with your current device" and goes on about requiring Android 4.0 or newer.
So I guess hoping for the old one to continue working is pretty futile in this case unfortunately. Not very customer-friendly, considering 2.3 still has more than 20% market share.
The BB app they used to have for the legacy BB OS met the same fate - the old one was discontinued, and they decided to not develop one for BB10.

I'll check on upgrading, thanks.
There's a zillion pages about that, and everyone seems to recommend different software packages.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:19 am

Remember to look over at XDA Developers for unofficial ROMs. I upgraded my Android el cheapo that way and got a root access at the same time which means tethering. Rooting and upgrading isn't hard. There are people on Craig's List who offer to do it for your. Also many of the independent phone stores will do it.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Currently have a Motorola Droid 3 ....

Alternatively, how easy is it to upgrade my current phone to Android 4? Some cursory web research went on about rooting, getting around locked bootloaders and installing custom ROMs. Don't really want to get into all that (and risk bricking my phone). Anyone able to recommend a reliable service provider who could do an upgrade for me?
It looks like you could pick up another Droid 3 for $100 or less on eBay. Then you could practice rooting that one to make sure you've got the technique down. Once you get to Android 4, you can choose the better phone and go on with that one.

I thought a physical keyboard was indispensable when I got my first smartphone, so I chose the original Droid. Much to my surprise I rarely used its (admittedly really crappy) keyboard. Now I'm on my third phone in the Droid line, a Droid Maxx. I can type much faster on its Swiftkey predictive keyboard than I could hope to on a physical phone keyboard. So another option you might consider is a newer phone that meets all your requirements save the keyboard.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
several sites detailing the process to upgrade the Droid 3 to 4.0 ICS. However, looks like a bit of work for the uninitiated (myself included). May take Dubai Stu's advice and find someone with experience to do it for you.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Does VZW really block usage of a new LTE phone entirely from its network, or it just doesn't allow LTE connections (falling back to 3g/CDMA)? Seems fine to just buy a 4g phone and get 3g speeds. See this link: http://www.asty.org/2014/01/04/mvnos...t-and-verizon/
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Currently have a Motorola Droid 3 CDMA 'global' phone where the CDMA part is activated on pageplus (Verizon MVNO) for use in the US. The GSM slot has a toggle SIM in it. This has worked very well for me ever since, giving me all the global connectivity I need/want for about $100 per year all in all.
I really like the phone as well with its physical keyboard and full smartphone features.

Now, my problem. The phone runs Android 2.3, which the AA app will cease to support come May. The AA app is a must-have feature.
Seems like I need to either get a new phone or somehow put a newer version of Android on mine.
Are there any phones out there that have a physical keyboard, run Android 4.XX and are NOT 4G/LTE? Verizon will not let any 4G/LTE device run on their network on anything but its (far too expensive and for my needs overblown) contracts and limits prepaid and MVNOs to 3G.

I have had 3 android phones over the last 4 years. I rooted all of them and none of them had any problems.
If you need a physical keyboard I can connect the mobile to my computer and send SMS from the computer.
As for the AA app, why do you need it?
I can see my AA statement on my computer and I usually do OLCI on my computer.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input.
@BobbySteel: It is not possible to activate any LTE phone on the VZW network through an MVNO. They do not automatically fall back unfortunately... However, there's a thriving cottage industry/enthusiast community who have developed workarounds by disabling LTE in those phones via software hacks (called 'flashing') so they'll fall back to 3G and are accepted on the network.

I've read some more about all those custom ROMs out there now and will give upgrading to one of these a shot. And experience which one is preferable?
If that leaves me with unsatisfactory results, I'll get me a newer Droid4 with factory ICS/Jelly Bean (those have massively come down in price now, $100 on ebay) and disable LTE by 'flashing' it. The process for this is easier than upgrading the OS. And equally easily reversed, so if pageplus ever gets around to offering LTE I'm already prepared.

I use this phone while traveling, without access to a computer and especially printers. The AA app is indispensable for getting a mobile boarding pass. I'd have missed quite a few flights already if not for the mobile boarding pass....
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've read some more about all those custom ROMs out there now and will give upgrading to one of these a shot. And experience which one is preferable?
I always liked CyanogenMod.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Not directly related to the app/OS question, but is it possible to view the BP via mobile web? UA allows you to open the BP in a mobile web browser, wonder if AA does the same.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I use this phone while traveling, without access to a computer and especially printers. The AA app is indispensable for getting a mobile boarding pass. I'd have missed quite a few flights already if not for the mobile boarding pass....
You don't need the app to get a mobile boarding pass on AA. In fact, I almost always go paperless and almost never use the AA app. Just email yourself the PDF of the boarding pass when you check in.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Thanks for all the input.
@BobbySteel: It is not possible to activate any LTE phone on the VZW network through an MVNO. They do not automatically fall back unfortunately... However, there's a thriving cottage industry/enthusiast community who have developed workarounds by disabling LTE in those phones via software hacks (called 'flashing') so they'll fall back to 3G and are accepted on the network.

If that leaves me with unsatisfactory results, I'll get me a newer Droid4 with factory ICS/Jelly Bean (those have massively come down in price now, $100 on ebay) and disable LTE by 'flashing' it. The process for this is easier than upgrading the OS. And equally easily reversed, so if pageplus ever gets around to offering LTE I'm already prepared.

Flashing a custom ROM is quite easy. XDA-forums has a great set of threads for each handset.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:41 am

Add one more to the list of people who thought a physical keyboard was a must-have, and now thinks they're a waste of time. I went through some pretty crappy phones to keep a physical keyboard, only to find that about two weeks after I switched to a touch-screen keyboard only, there was no going back.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I liked the physical keyboard, but don't need them at all anymore. Once you get used to it, the touchscreen works just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.