Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by arjunrc
Yup. In another thread I posted what I plan to use as my charging configuration. [/IMG]
I just have a quick question about the edimax micro/nano router. I bought one (which I've since misplaced ...) and I noticed it doesn't keep the MAC address if I power it off. I know this isn't a tech-help forum but I wonder if anybody has the same issue or it's a problem with my unit.

For clarity; suppose I register for Internet using my laptop, I would then attach the nano-router and change the settings so the router would look like it was actually my laptop - that's what I mean by MAC address. If I unplgu the router and plug it in again I have to go through the whole rigmarole again.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Hi NeverFirst, I think you are doing this the other way around. It would work the way you describe but it may be better if you use the Mac of Edimax.

1. Power on Edimax
2. Connect to Edimax from your laptop/device
3. In Edimax wisp mode select the hotel wifi you want to connect to
4. At this stage the Edimax will reboot

5. Make sure your devices are connected to the Edimax SSID
6. From any device browse the net - you'll be presented with a portal login

Note that the internet provider is now seeing the Mac of the Edimax not your device behind it. Authenticate and connect. The Mac of the Edimax will now be associated with the connection.

Even if you power off/on you will retain this setting subject to duration of connection governed by the internet provider. I can't answer why Edimax is not retaining Mac cloning settings because I've never used it this way.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Hi NeverFirst, I think you are doing this the other way around. It would work the way you describe but it may be better if you use the Mac of Edimax.
A-ha - lightbulb moment! Now I just have to remember where I put the darned thing.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Have you looked at the Kenu Airframe that was listed above in this thread? I am looking to purchase that.
Okay, so I retract my previous statement. I bought the Kenu Airframe from Amazon last week and am a convert. Unlike the product I owned previously, it seems to fit the wonky spiral vents, and it's a lot lighter and smaller than the suction cup contraption I was using.

Not sure how well it will hold up, but even if it only lasts a year or so, I think the size/weight benefits make it worthwhile. If you're on the fence, I'd say for $25, it's definitely worth picking up the Airframe.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
I don't want to highjack the thread but my since my search skills failed me, I'm asking here : is there a thread about which bag do you guys use ?

Arjunrc mentionned his Tumi pouch, I've seen people post about their computer/tablet pouch but I couldn't find a thread discussing pro/cons of different bags.

I apologise if I missed it or if this has already been asked a bazillion times.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

A. Dell Latitude E6530
B. European Power Strip (only for Euro trips)
C. Spare Phone Battery and Charger
D. Phone Charger-y thing (assembled from a Kindle wall adapter and random micro-USB to USB)
E. Camera Data Cable
F. Overpriced International Adapter, bought in an airport last minute on one trip
G. 2 Amp Micro-USB Charger (used for my phone or other gadgets)
H. 2 Amp Micro-USB Charger (used for my tablet exclusively)
I. Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet
J. Mini Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad
K. Stylus/Pen/Penlight Combo
L. Power Brick for the Laptop
M. Halo Portable Power Charger
N. Keys
O. 64GB Flash Drive
P. Samsung Galaxy S4
Q. Cannon PowerShot SX160 IS
R. Logitech Joystick for FS2004, because I'm a nerd.

I carry all of this in my High Sierra Elite Business Daypack, except for the joystick which only goes on trips where I'll have a lot of down time and goes in my suitcase.

Wires mostly go in an old Delta Tumi BusinessElite amenity kit.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scifience
Okay, so I retract my previous statement. I bought the Kenu Airframe from Amazon last week and am a convert. Unlike the product I owned previously, it seems to fit the wonky spiral vents, and it's a lot lighter and smaller than the suction cup contraption I was using.

Not sure how well it will hold up, but even if it only lasts a year or so, I think the size/weight benefits make it worthwhile. If you're on the fence, I'd say for $25, it's definitely worth picking up the Airframe.

Agreed. I'm very satisfied with the Kenu. Once you fit it in well (the important part), its no problem pulling your phone out and pushing it in - the airframe stays in its place. Awesome product. I've probably owned it for over a month or two now.

Originally Posted by Enthilza
I don't want to highjack the thread but my since my search skills failed me, I'm asking here : is there a thread about which bag do you guys use ?

Arjunrc mentionned his Tumi pouch, I've seen people post about their computer/tablet pouch but I couldn't find a thread discussing pro/cons of different bags.

I apologise if I missed it or if this has already been asked a bazillion times.
Are you taking about a bag where all your electronics go? Like a laptop bag or a shoulder bag, or just the pouch for your wires and chargers? I use the Tumi pouch for the latter. I'm sure there have been threads in the past - I recall there was one just for shoulder bags... maybe someone who book marked something relevant may post a link here

Originally Posted by sky303

A. Dell Latitude E6530
B. European Power Strip (only for Euro trips)
C. Spare Phone Battery and Charger
D. Phone Charger-y thing (assembled from a Kindle wall adapter and random micro-USB to USB)
E. Camera Data Cable
F. Overpriced International Adapter, bought in an airport last minute on one trip
G. 2 Amp Micro-USB Charger (used for my phone or other gadgets)
H. 2 Amp Micro-USB Charger (used for my tablet exclusively)
I. Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet
J. Mini Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad
K. Stylus/Pen/Penlight Combo
L. Power Brick for the Laptop
M. Halo Portable Power Charger
N. Keys
O. 64GB Flash Drive
P. Samsung Galaxy S4
Q. Cannon PowerShot SX160 IS
R. Logitech Joystick for FS2004, because I'm a nerd.

I carry all of this in my High Sierra Elite Business Daypack, except for the joystick which only goes on trips where I'll have a lot of down time and goes in my

Wires mostly go in an old Delta Tumi BusinessElite amenity kit.
Sky303, thanks for your contributions. I love laid out and numbered images. ^
Love the joystick as part of your portfolio. Have you considered one of the recommended 4 port chargers - it may replace some of your power bulk (you'll still have the wires, but not so many chargers)
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Love the joystick as part of your portfolio. Have you considered one of the recommended 4 port chargers - it may replace some of your power bulk (you'll still have the wires, but not so many chargers)
Ooooh, thanks! Just ordered a Skiva Quad Fire on amazon!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky303
Ooooh, thanks! Just ordered a Skiva Quad Fire on amazon!
FYI - I had (well, still have) the Skiva. I just ordered the Monoprice over it. It's a little bigger, but my Skiva was not giving me full power on both the ports it was supposed to.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:18 pm
Suspended

My slimmed down tech pack;

Only things not pictured are;

- Blackberry Curve (work provided)
- Kindle Paperwhite (I will leave my iPad Mini at home if I take it)

Items in photo;

- Bose QC20i
- USB to Micro Lead - supplied with the Bose headphones
- PowerGen Battery Pack (built in torch)
- iPad Charge Cable
- Lenovo X230 (built in sim card for mobile data)
- Lenovo Power Brick & UK Lead
- iPad Mini
- Tumi Cable Pouch

The USB to Micro Lead is used to charge my Blackberry, Kindle, Bose QC20i & PowerGen Battery Pack.

I'm due to change the mobile phone to avoid the locked down Blackberry. Thankfully I can use my work sim-card in a personal phone which means I am likely to no longer take the iPad and instead take the Kindle. I'm VERY tempted to replace it with something that uses the Micro USB charge cables I can drop the extra cable

Last edited by FlyerTalker68098; Jul 5, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by GarethK
I'm VERY tempted to replace it with something that uses the Micro USB charge cables I can drop the extra cable
There are adapters for that
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...ro-usb-adapter

Integrated lightning + micro usb cable so you don't lose the adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freecia
There are adapters for that
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...ro-usb-adapter

I really could kiss you
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia

Ah sweet... must have...
What's your opinion on mono price cables? I've only had one experience whilst setting up a movie room - I bought a 25 foot HDMI cable as my projector was at the back of the room and the receiver in the front. They were very poorly made and the HDMI head snapped right off in a few days. I eventually bought a much more expensive 50ft cable from HomeDepot but it was worth it. I am therefore very wary of mono price cables. Add to that that Apple products are very particular about their cables, do you know if these are Apple certified?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Whoa Gareth, thats a really slim line you are carrying around there except the laptop brick - a colleague of mine recently bought a dell ultra book - they've done a great job slimming down the brick - maybe Lenovo sells slimmer ones too these days.

Just 2 cables? How do you manage charging multiple devices at night?

Originally Posted by GarethK
My slimmed down tech pack;

Items in photo;

- Bose QC20i
- USB to Micro Lead - supplied with the Bose headphones
- PowerGen Battery Pack (built in torch)
- iPad Charge Cable
- Lenovo X230 (built in sim card for mobile data)
- Lenovo Power Brick & UK Lead
- iPad Mini
- Tumi Cable Pouch

The USB to Micro Lead is used to charge my Blackberry, Kindle, Bose QC20i & PowerGen Battery Pack.

I'm due to change the mobile phone to avoid the locked down Blackberry. Thankfully I can use my work sim-card in a personal phone which means I am likely to no longer take the iPad and instead take the Kindle. I'm VERY tempted to replace it with something that uses the Micro USB charge cables I can drop the extra cable
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:35 am
Suspended

Just 2 cables? How do you manage charging multiple devices at night?
I plug the laptop in at the hotel desk and use the 'always on' USB port to charge the Blackberry over night. I'll also charge up the iPad if needed - the battery PowerGen doesn't need charging during trips and the same for the Bose headphones. Worse case and I need to charge whilst travelling I use the Powergen pack.

Lenovo does a slimmer version of the power brick but it's 80 and not that much smaller so giving it a miss. I am very jealous at those that can use a two pin plug - I would have been one of the first backers of 'Dart'. I hope they make a UK version (their website is suggests 2015 - I can't wait). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...laptop-adapter

Last edited by FlyerTalker68098; Jul 6, 2014 at 5:31 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.