Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

2014: Favorite Android App

2014: Favorite Android App

Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: US/AA Plat | Marriott Gold | National Exec Elite
For those of us that have conference calls while on the road - MobileDayhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obileday&hl=en

The app will dial into a con call and input the passcode for you. One of the things I missed coming from Blackberry a few years ago and then I found this
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
Electric Sleep: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...leepbeta&hl=en

It's a sleep cycle alarm clock. Set the alarm, place the phone on your bed and it'll use the accelerometer to detect when you are in a light sleep phase right before your alarm time and wake you up then when your easy to wake up. It also is useful afterwards to track exactly when you fell asleep and how long you were actually asleep for.

There's also another one that's more updated called Sleepbot but when I tried it, they couldn't let you change the wake up alarm tone which was a deal breaker for me.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is there a good sports app out there that includes all of the following:

- NCAAF
- NCAAB
- MLB
- MLS
- NFL
- Barclay's Premier League
- Major international rugby union (Six Nations, etc.)
- Major international cricket (Ashes, etc.)
- NCAA Hockey

AFAIK, Yahoo would get me everything from the top through the Premier League.

I'd be happy with a single app that had decent rugby and cricket along with everything else...that doesn't seem like too much to ask, right? I get that college puck is kind of niche. (I have an ECAC app that I can live with.)
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:58 am

Android isn't safe

deleted

Last edited by dtsm; Mar 3, 2014 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:17 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by dtsm
Rather than starting a new thread, posted this admissions here: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02...roid-not-safe/
What's this got to do with the best Android app?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What's this got to do with the best Android app?
deleted

Last edited by dtsm; Mar 3, 2014 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Which is exactly why I asked for Moderator to make the final call.....or did you miss the second sentence

I didn't post to flame Android users, having just bought my first, a Moto G. It was something I thought would be interesting to read......
Your claim that the article represents an admission that "Android isn't safe" is at best misleading.

As we've seen with the iOS flaw that was apparently known about but left in place for years, no platform is ever "safe". The actual point about Android is that its open architecture makes keeping it relatively secure more of a challenge than doing the same in a closed system like iOS or WP8.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Mar 3, 2014 at 7:22 am
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Your claim that the article represents an admission that "Android isn't safe" is at best misleading.
The title of the article is: Google admits Android wasnt designed to be safe

I didn't realize how upsetting this was going to be so will remove my original posts.....
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The title of the article is: Google admits Android wasnt designed to be safe

I didn't realize how upsetting this was going to be so will remove my original posts.....
"wasnt designed to be safe" isn't at all the same as "isn't safe", especially when speaking in terms relative to other complex systems.

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out your linked article's inherent bias and error. It would be silly to be defensive about an operating system to the point of getting upset about it.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:53 am

Visiting Taiwan?

This might be useful for anyone touring Taiwan: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/l...r-develops.htm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Thanks

Originally Posted by smitts
For those of us that have conference calls while on the road - MobileDayhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obileday&hl=en

The app will dial into a con call and input the passcode for you. One of the things I missed coming from Blackberry a few years ago and then I found this
Oohh I needed this--thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:08 am

I really like are TimeClockConnect for keeping track of clients and billable hours. The other is called CamScanner, for taking photos of documents, receipts, etc. and turns them into clean PDF documents.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:07 pm

B-Folders

I like B-Folders (am using v4) and found it to be useful and reliable across both Android and Windows platforms for securing data, incl. codes, passwords, etc. It also logs into websites and auto fills log-in details.

What's nifty is that you can easily sync data between devices, eg, PC, smartphone and tablet through peer to peer transmission.

Data is saved on local drives and is encrypted with a 256-bit password cipher.

The software is available for a number of platforms: WIN, Mac and Linux and costs around $30 to install. It is free for use on Android devices.

I have been a long-time Roboform user and fan and use the software on local drives; however, its Android version compels users to store data in cloud and while I'm sure it is secure up there, I have not reached the comfort level to do so myself, B-Folders 4 provides a useful alternative.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I like the TripIt app, especially along with TripIt Pro. At my last job we used Egencia to book travel, which automatically dumped reservation details into Outlook IF you booked through their portal, which was easier but I MUCH prefer being able to aggregate reservation details from any booking source.

I also like GateGuru for finding what restaurants/shops are at airport terminals/concourses and whether it's worth walking to a different concourse/terminal for something better.

Pulse News is my biggest time killer, mostly aggregating various tech blogs.

DashClock is an excellent customizable lockscreen/homescreen widget... I use it exclusively on the home screen and it presents a good amount of useful information through extensions in a fairly minimalist format. You do have to pay attention to what wallpaper you use, though, so as to not wash out the white text.

DynamicNotifications is a great customizable app that brings the Motorola ActiveNotification system to other non-Moto phones. I use it as a lock screen replacement. It's even more useful for desk-dwellers, especially with a dock, as notifications will "breath", re-presenting themselves at a set interval until you dismiss them. It works best on AMOLED screens where black pixels are completely off/unpowered, but it works fine on LCD as well.

I also use Google Now Launcher and all of my widgets scroll just fine (Dash Clock and Event Flow). I'm not sure if being on a Galaxy S4 running a GPE ROM makes a difference, since the S4 GPE is officially supported by Google Now Launcher.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hodor Keyboard

Bonus: If your passwords are all "hodor", it's also an excellent password management system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.