Reload this Page >

New inexpensive laptop advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New inexpensive laptop advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:13 pm

What we used to do through PCMCIA/PC Card slots we now do through various USB devices, so the slots are no real loss, IMHO. Do look for USB 3.0 ports though. It makes a real difference sometimes.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow, I don't know where you guys are seeing these deals. Even with the coupon, the best I can find a <13" notebook for is about $400 with a Centrino processor.

I did find on Newegg a Thinkpad X201, core i5, 4GB, for $319. Which seems absurdly cheap. It's refurbished, and the customer reviews are that it is in great condition. So I got one. We'll see!

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jan 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Wow, I don't know where you guys are seeing these deals. Even with the coupon, the best I can find a <13" notebook for is about $400 with a Centrino processor
Obviously, by definition, the Dell Outlet is handling used or returned systems, and they sell worldwide, so the inventory can literally change day by day (even minute by minute). Seems you were in somewhat of a hurry, so you looked and what you needed was not available at the time you wanted it. However, if one isn't in a rush, knows the model they want, and can afford to "stalk" your prey, you have a much greater shot at success.

I will say, to me, things like twitter coupons have made it actually more difficult to score what you want because the outlet tends to get emptied out as soon as a coupon goes out...

Regards
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I did find on Newegg a Thinkpad X201, core i5, 4GB, for $319. Which seems absurdly cheap. It's refurbished, and the customer reviews are that it is in great condition. So I got one. We'll see!
That does seem absurdly cheap. I'd recommend spending the $40 to bring it up to 6gb or 8gb (depending on if the current 4gb is 2x 2gb or 1x 4gb), and a 120-128gb SSD can be had for as little as $80 these days (for that machine, a slower drive like the Crucial M500 is fine as it is 3Gbps SATA to begin with, and would be my recommendation.)

Very easy machine to add/swap memory into, and very easy machine to swap disk for SSD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.