Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
What's do you find horrible about Skype?

If it's their pricing on Skype-to-phone, this might be a good plan, but IME, they tend to have the best voice quality over slow/bad connections, and if you can't get good voice signal on them, in my experience, you won't on Google Voice.

You also need at least temporary access to a US phone number separate from the one you are porting; they can detect other Google Voice numbers -- I don't know if they can detect other VoIP providers.

You only need the VPN to set up the account (and should not use the voice connections over VPN, which is likely to make any voice quality issues worse.)

It does work if you have a fast enough connection (I've used one of my prior employer's VoIP servers while abroad, and that required using the corporate VPN) but there is no reason to do so with Google Voice.
Thanks all for the responses!

I don't find the service quality on Skype that great. When I make calls on the computer with Skype and with Google Voice, I find the calls with Google Voice much better quality.

However, the main reason I want to switch is to be able to send/receive texts without hassle via either the GV app or online.

Its great to know I only need VPN to setup the account, the only part I don't quite get is why you need another number to setup the account when porting? Is that number always tied to the account?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Consider getting a US number from a service like VoIP.ms (you could probably port your current number to them). They do offer SMS as well, it's currently a free/beta service. You'll get a lot more features, and can use an app like Bria on your phone for calls.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I know lots of people who have Google Voice US numbers by setting them up using US cellphone or US Vonage numbers and have been using Google Voice in conjunction with say Vonage without issue (even without using VPN or any other kind of routing games) for years.
Cell phones definitely work, as do corporate-owned VoIP numbers. Good to know that Vonage does.

Originally Posted by sal930
I don't find the service quality on Skype that great. When I make calls on the computer with Skype and with Google Voice, I find the calls with Google Voice much better quality.
Interesting; mileages vary. I find Google Voice much more dependent on the relative quality of the line; the quality is at least as good on a fast, low-latency connection, but their echo cancellation is worse as the latency gets worse, and they degrade quicker on low-bandwidth connections. I've found Skype usable down to EDGE speeds, while Google Voice was pretty much useless at < 100kbps.

Its great to know I only need VPN to setup the account, the only part I don't quite get is why you need another number to setup the account when porting? Is that number always tied to the account?
I'm pretty sure you can remove it as soon as the account is verified. I think this comes out of Google Voice originally being intended as a forwarding service, and making sure you didn't use it as a primary carrier. That's long abandoned, but having to have some existing US number seems to still be part of their account setup process.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I know lots of people who have Google Voice US numbers by setting them up using US cellphone or US Vonage numbers and have been using Google Voice in conjunction with say Vonage without issue (even without using VPN or any other kind of routing games) for years.
I have a google voice number set up using my US virtual vonage number (located in Canada). Also added my US Tracfone pay-as-you-go cell number. So yes, definitely works with vonage and the US number doesn't even have to be your primary number as mine is just a virtual US number.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:08 pm

If I have a google voice number and am on vacation in Japan , and my friend has a google voice number and is in Spain can we call each other for free ?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
If I have a google voice number and am on vacation in Japan , and my friend has a google voice number and is in Spain can we call each other for free ?
Assuming you both have local flat-rate data service of some sort with reasonably good bandwidth, and are using the PC-browser-based or Hangouts-dialer-based calling, yes.

When I've done something similar, voice quality wasn't especially good, suggesting to me that it was routing the calls back through the US despite both of us being in Asia.

If you both have Google Voice, why not just use Hangouts to do an IP-only call without phone numbers being involved? Equally free, and it leaves Google free to route the data purely more directly. Might not matter for Japan to Spain, in that particular case.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
I am quite familiar with Google Voice, having used it for several years, but am seeing some different behavior so wanted to know if anyone else has seen it.

For VOIP calls, i.e. not forwarding to a mobile/landline, there used to be an option within Hangouts allowing one to select whether the device should ring when there is an incoming call to one's GV number. In the latest version of the apps, both Android and iOS, that options seems to have been removed. Incoming calls to the GV number also seems to no longer cause the call to ring in Hangouts.

Combined with the recent direction change at ring.to, it makes me wonder if there are changing coming to how Google Voice will operate going forward. I personally hope it is a bug in the new versions of the apps.

I don't use Hangouts to receive calls but a friend is currently overseas and got a GV number on my advice to be able to keep receiving calls, but it is not working. Outgoing calls in Hangouts still work fine by the way.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
That option is certainly still in the latest iOS version of Hangouts - go to Settings | Phone Number and you'll see the option to turn on Incoming Phone Calls that will Ring Hangouts.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by AnalogMan
I am quite familiar with Google Voice, having used it for several years, but am seeing some different behavior so wanted to know if anyone else has seen it.

For VOIP calls, i.e. not forwarding to a mobile/landline, there used to be an option within Hangouts allowing one to select whether the device should ring when there is an incoming call to one's GV number. In the latest version of the apps, both Android and iOS, that options seems to have been removed. Incoming calls to the GV number also seems to no longer cause the call to ring in Hangouts ... I don't use Hangouts to receive calls but a friend is currently overseas and got a GV number on my advice to be able to keep receiving calls, but it is not working. Outgoing calls in Hangouts still work fine by the way.
One of my line is tied to GV/Hangouts ringing on my Nexus 5 (X is on its way) running the newest security patch (Jan. 2016) and I noticed that change you've described - only on Android devices ... for now.

Please check to see if Hangouts Dialer is installed - if not, go to Play Store & install it, done & you should be good to go. It used to be configured with the checked box option to ring or not, apparently, the recent revision scheme ...

Give it a try to see if it is ^ or

On a related note / FYI for others - we had managed to override & change the default incoming voice call ringtone to our personal choice (i.e. old classic Bell ring tone vs. default Hangout ringtone) running custom 6.0.1 ROM with Exposed & XHangouts modules ... well, the latest updates/patched it up & back to having "no" choice. IMO, that default ringtone is just not a good one - guess it's time to move to "Fi" and play.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Thanks everyone, I looked at the latest Android and iOS Hangouts apps, and do see the option to enable calls. I must have been in a hurry and missed it last time.

Having said that, something is still not quite right. I can get incoming voice calls in Hangouts on both Android and iOS, but my friend who is overseas can't. He doesn't have a VPN (to get an US IP) to test with, I might be able to VPN to get a foreign IP and see if incoming calls stop working.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've read so much about Google Voice that I'm now confused. I have a GV number that rings to my house Obi VOIP. I used a landline to verify it. Works well. I added it to my Hangouts app and can make outgoing calls within US. I turned on "ring" but nothing happens on incoming test calls. Also, wondering about this: will be using t mobile in UK and France. Is GV outbound using hangouts free to US? What about to UK?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've read so much about Google Voice that I'm now confused. I have a GV number that rings to my house Obi VOIP. I used a landline to verify it. Works well. I added it to my Hangouts app and can make outgoing calls within US. I turned on "ring" but nothing happens on incoming test calls. Also, wondering about this: will be using t mobile in UK and France. Is GV outbound using hangouts free to US? What about to UK?
Are you sure you are logging into the Hangouts app with the same Google account that you're using for the Obi? If not, that could explain why it's not ringing. If you are, then there's probably some other setting possibly on the Google Voice side that needs to be changed...I'm not as sure with that.

As far as GV outbound calls, those are free to US and Canadian numbers I believe. Even if you're traveling in another country, as long as you have a data or wifi connection, you can make calls to the US/Canada and it won't cost anything. If you want to make a call to the UK, you need to add GV credit to do this (this is because your GV number is a US-based number so even when you're traveling you'll still have that number assuming you are connected over wifi or data).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jplee3
Are you sure you are logging into the Hangouts app with the same Google account that you're using for the Obi? If not, that could explain why it's not ringing. If you are, then there's probably some other setting possibly on the Google Voice side that needs to be changed...I'm not as sure with that.

As far as GV outbound calls, those are free to US and Canadian numbers I believe. Even if you're traveling in another country, as long as you have a data or wifi connection, you can make calls to the US/Canada and it won't cost anything. If you want to make a call to the UK, you need to add GV credit to do this (this is because your GV number is a US-based number so even when you're traveling you'll still have that number assuming you are connected over wifi or data).
Yeah, so I double checked that and it's the same GV/Google account as the Obi. I'll check the help section. Thanks for the info re calls. Sounds like it will act like I'm in US even when abroad, so will get charged US-->UK rate for any calls I make from UK with GV to UK number.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yeah, so I double checked that and it's the same GV/Google account as the Obi. I'll check the help section. Thanks for the info re calls. Sounds like it will act like I'm in US even when abroad, so will get charged US-->UK rate for any calls I make from UK with GV to UK number.

Hm, and you have the Hangouts *Dialer* app installed too right? There's an option in the account settings that has a switch for "Incoming Phone Calls" under your GV number (on Android - for IOS you have to click on the "phone number" then enable it). I just tested this and it seems to work ok.

As far as it "acting" like you're in the US when abroad, that's exactly right - it's as if you're making calls from the US regardless. So the GV rates will apply anywhere you are in the world (and they are reasonably cheap).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jplee3
Hm, and you have the Hangouts *Dialer* app installed too right? There's an option in the account settings that has a switch for "Incoming Phone Calls" under your GV number (on Android - for IOS you have to click on the "phone number" then enable it). I just tested this and it seems to work ok.

As far as it "acting" like you're in the US when abroad, that's exactly right - it's as if you're making calls from the US regardless. So the GV rates will apply anywhere you are in the world (and they are reasonably cheap).
I'm now in OBI hell. For some reason, my obi isn't even getting incoming calls. I can call out but nothing coming in. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I don't use that phone in June (long story), so it's possible it's been like this for a while (and my IP address weirdly was changed by comcast about a month ago). But because hangouts and obi aren't getting incoming then I feel like it's related.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.