Registering a domain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Registering a domain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions.

I went with Namcheap in the end, so far no spam

Once its up and running I will update if there are any issues.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I got a Google Domains invite, and I debating between them and NameSilo. It's about a $3/yr difference between the two. I'm trying to figure out how to setup all of my Google Apps pointers on each website. Google Domains detects and auto-populates; it appears you have to go through an extra few steps with NameSilo. Associating domains to Google Apps on Namecheap looks very complex.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:23 pm

I have one Google Domains invite to send out (used the other 4). If anyone wants one, I will send it to the first to PM.

I will post again when it is gone.

$12/year isn't awful, with privacy.

What annoys me now is that Namecheap won't let me transfer some domains out. THe only thing I can figure out is that annual renewal date is within 60 days, even if it is years away.

EDIT: Invite is gone. I'll repost if I get any more....

Last edited by dakuda; Oct 4, 2014 at 4:17 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:32 am

Like many of us, I've heard some bad things about GoDaddy (spam, changing the terms and charging extra without notification, etc). Not sure if those rumors are well founded. I use BlueHost for domains and hosting and I usually like it, though it's a bit more expensive than some of the alternatives. (If you are interested in BlueHost, search for a deal on other sites before buying through their website! They usually have deals scattered around the internet for discounts on the first year or so).
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:27 am
Suspended

Need to secure the domain name and let it sit, or are you actually going about building a site?

I'm using Squarespace, and it's amazing. Domain registration is free w/ 1 year package (under $200).

I've used GoDaddy -they're terrrrrible.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:54 am

I use Enom. I started using them because they offered free dynamic DNS, as well as URL and email forwarding. Have been with them for a number of years now, and am pretty happy with them. I pay USD9.90 per domain each year. Pm me if you would like an account with them with this price (com/net/org).

Wherever you go, make sure that you register your own domain name (don't get one 'free' or through your Web host), and that the registrar is ICANN accredited.

I'd personally avoid GoDaddy and NameCheap. Lots of horror stories about GoDaddy online, and NameCheap is known to hold customer's domains hostage over charges unrelated to those domains , which puts them on my permanent do-not-ever-use list.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slowmail
I'd personally avoid GoDaddy and NameCheap. Lots of horror stories about GoDaddy online, and NameCheap is known to hold customer's domains hostage over charges unrelated to those domains , which puts them on my permanent do-not-ever-use list.
I agree on avoiding GoDaddy simply for their difficult-to-use and always-trying-to-upsell-you website, not to mention all the spam they send you.

The Namecheap story you sent looks pretty much like the guy just instituted a chargeback through Paypal without ever trying to rectify the situation with Namecheap, who then locked his account.

I use Namecheap and like them fine, though I only use them for DNS registration.

I used Joker.com for years (they were by far the cheapest when I first registered a domain in the late 90s). I still like them a lot - all the main features you want for no extra charges, and a simple website. I only moved to Namecheap because Joker doesn't support two factor authentication for login and I was feeling paranoid. They also don't let you use any WHOIS masking services.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The Namecheap story you sent looks pretty much like the guy just instituted a chargeback through Paypal without ever trying to rectify the situation with Namecheap, who then locked his account.
They didn't just lock his account. They also changed all of the domain name's ownership details to their own, over a payment dispute unrelated to that name or it's registration. They did eventually reverse that position after the thread was posted on WHT, but they never did give a clear explanation why they took ownership of a domain name unrelated to that payment dispute in the first place (or why they later changed their mind and returned it...)

Another reason why one should always register your own domain name, and keep your registrar separate from your hosting account.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:57 pm

I have at least 8 domains registered with GoDaddy and the only email I receive from them is renewal notifications. I don't understand why everyone complains about SPAM; I'm certainly not getting it.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I have at least 8 domains registered with GoDaddy and the only email I receive from them is renewal notifications. I don't understand why everyone complains about SPAM; I'm certainly not getting it.
They probably aren't aware that 'WHOIS' (which shows the domain's registered owner) information is public. Spammers are known to regularly scrape email addresses from whois.

It doesn't matter who your registrar is, any email address you publish on whois is going to get spammed. However, it is also important that it is a valid email address that can reach you, and that it is an email address that you have full control over (as it can also authorize transferring the domain name to another person).
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:57 am

I am using Goddady. No problems so far. I just wish that they would stop trying to up sel in every possible way.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jacob
I am using Goddady. No problems so far. I just wish that they would stop trying to up sel in every possible way.
That to me is the problem with GoDaddy. There's nothing technically wrong or missing in the way of features. It's the constant spam and upselling.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
That to me is the problem with GoDaddy. There's nothing technically wrong or missing in the way of features. It's the constant spam and upselling.
Can someone who likes GoDaddy explain to me why anyone would use them over Squarespace?

The template building for GoDaddy is a mess.

FWIW, I know nothing about building a website, which is why I'm partial to Squarespace. They make it too easy IMO.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Can someone who likes GoDaddy explain to me why anyone would use them over Squarespace?

The template building for GoDaddy is a mess.

FWIW, I know nothing about building a website, which is why I'm partial to Squarespace. They make it too easy IMO.
Because web sites aren't the only thing domain names are good for?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: DL GM
I've been using GoDaddy for domain hosting, DNS management, and email service for several domain names since 2008 and have no complaints. The only emails I receive from them are the expected periodic reminders to renew domain registration.

The only up-sell "pressure" I've felt from them are the website suggestions to add incremental features or options during checkout while purchasing products.

I'm not claiming GoDaddy is the best domain hosting option out there, but I certainly don't find them difficult or annoying to work with. Just my two bits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.