Wiki Posts
Search

Why does my iPad keep crashing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Why does my iPad keep crashing?

Haven't seen the answer to this by searching, so hoping for a little help. I have a first generation iPad, which over the last six months is becoming increasingly prone to crashing while web surfing. It is also getting slower and slower to load web pages. Is it just becoming obsolete and unable to keep up to the technology, or could it be something else?

Thx much.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Do a full restore and see if that help.

Make sure back up everything first.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by garykung
Do a full restore and see if that help.

Make sure back up everything first.
Thanks, tried that a couple of weeks ago, didn't help.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Two other things to try:
1. Free up as much memory as you can.
2. Switch to Chrome web browser.

Good luck!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Review your list of Apps running & updating in the background (iOS5 or 6 ??) including iCloud as you can update those as needed instead of continuously - being memory hogs. Available storage - free up internal space if it is running close to / near its full capacity including uninstall of "dormant" Apps. Go with a simple background/wallpaper & switch off some of the bells & whistles.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
+1 on using Chrome. Safari is total garbage.

I don't know how much longer you'll be able to use the legacy device. Might be time to upgrade to Gen5.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:42 am
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
What you are experiencing is common among us 1st gen iPad owners. It appears to be a combo of the autorefresh, the inability of IOS 5 to handle more than one tab or two at the same time.
Try another browser, that helped me. But of course the biggest help was getting a new iPad air.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Well just know your experience is typical on newer iPads as well. Safari crashes all the time on my iPad w/Retina display. It's gotten worse since iOS 7 came around... not a day that goes by that I don't regret "upgrading."
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:57 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Chrome crashes as much as Safari. My only solution was an ipad air. I think the first gen just doesnt have the chops.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by gwade
Chrome crashes as much as Safari. My only solution was an ipad air. I think the first gen just doesnt have the chops.
My iPad Air has crashed a few times; twice simply by opening a web page and once launching the Netflix app. I hope iOS 7.1 improves things; I don't remember my iPad 2 ever crashing.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Two other things to try:
1. Free up as much memory as you can.
2. Switch to Chrome web browser.
you could jailbreak and monitor just how much memory it is taking up. Whether you use Chrome, Safari, Atomic or anything else - the underlying browser engine is the same as in Safari - it is only the extra features like the bookmark syncing, file saving, etc that are unique to the other browsers.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by quick_dry
Whether you use Chrome, Safari, Atomic or anything else - the underlying browser engine is the same as in Safari - it is only the extra features like the bookmark syncing, file saving, etc that are unique to the other browsers.
:-: Absolutely correct. Many people assume that you should use Chrome on iOS devices because it's better than other browsers on PCs and Macs. Chrome on iOS devices is actually significantly slower than Chrome for JavaScript performance as Apple only allow the Nitro acceleration to be used on Safari. This difference is really dramatic on many modern websites that use JavaScript extensively.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by star_world
Apple only allow the Nitro acceleration to be used on Safari. This difference is really dramatic on many modern websites that use JavaScript extensively.
here is another reason to jailbreak especially on an older iPad - you can enable Nitro acceleration at all times, LOTS of apps are really just a wrapper around a webpage, so it comes in handier than just when/if you decided not to use Safari.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Consider upgrading the hardware, even if it's to a gently used 2nd or 3rd gen.

The original iPad only had 256MB of RAM, that doubled with the iPad 2.

Barring that, check your iOS version. The original running iOS 5 was prone to a lot of crashing and that was somewhat mitigated by 5.1.1.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:19 am

I've found that clearing the Safari Cache helps. Not sure if it was just clearing the history or both Cookies and Data, but it helped my iPad 3g for a while.

Settings > Safari > Clear History / Clear Cookies and Data

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.