Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus 5 on T-Mobile as a global phone?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline independent, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Nexus 5 on T-Mobile as a global phone?

Thinking about my next phone - I know the US version of the Nexus 5 works all around the world and T-Mobile has the free data + text and 20 cent/minute roaming... has anyone made the leap to use the phone and the plan as their only phone?

And if I want to swap SIMs while traveling abroad, should I buy the Google version to ensure that the phone is unlocked?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any benefit to buying it from a carrier? Google's price is lower than the unsubsidized carrier price.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: most of them
I think buying it from Google makes sense if it is cheaper.

I got my Nexus 4 from the Play store. And then got a SIM from T-mobile with the $30/month plan. Which does not qualify for their international plan. But it is easy enough to just get a cheap prepaid SIM wherever you happen to be.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:22 pm

On day of launch, got for my son via google store, fast shipping, unlocked and he's now on holiday in HK using the TMO global data plan ^

During initial launch phase, TMO price was slightly higher; not sure if they adjusted for holiday
season. And TMO usually has policy of locking phones until fully paid for -- sometimes with additional 30-40 day wait period.

Best to double check n compare both on-line store fronts.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Dirt
If you want to pay for the phone in installments or enroll in the JUMP upgrade program you have to buy it from T-Mobile. Otherwise, Google Play store is $100 less.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:56 pm

The TMobile version supports WiFi calling. This means free calls on wifi and their version of VOIP is pretty rare and is not on the radar of of every VOIP blocking system. Is that worth the surcharge? I leave that to you. I've wondered about it as a travel as travel phone but have also thought about a dual-SIM Galaxy S4 mini (dual sim).
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
We're left CDMA behind along with VZW & cheerfully gave up our grandfathered 3G/4G data plan including our 2 HTC global devices for the Nexus 5, not looking back & so far so good.

All of the N5 sold directly via Play Store and by T-Mo or Sprint are UNLOCKED, there is no carrier lock. Local Best Buy stores are supposed to price match them, just show them the Google Store prices (16G or 32G, in black or white) if they are in stock & you'll also save on shipping. OTOH, 1 Day & 2 Day UPS Air are available at reasonable costs in addition to Ground Shipping (3-5 days) all coming out of Louisville, KY warehouse outsourced by Google to & handled by UPS logistics once LG's bulk shipment arrived.

The newest production batches have production sequence #311 (instead of #310's) with enhanced buttons & bottom speaker opening - OTA updated twice to Kitkat 4.4.2 now and it's very smooth (for most) - we owned 2 of them now & use micro-Sims (be VERY careful if using nano to micro-Sim, switching back-n-forth to iPhone 5's due to Sim slot design.) Have it setup with Google Voice (along with Skype) & Talkatone for WiFi calling - it's not a perfect Android (speaker output & volume, etc.) but pretty close as priced, and HD screen is just beautiful - battery life is good once Apps are optimized, lasting 1 to 3 days or more depending on usage & screen-on time, running rooted stock rom & kernel only.

Using them on AT&T and T-Mo's 4G LTE network, and even in HSPA/+ area, it's blazing fast, rival that of WiFi speed off Fios links, depending on towers & coverage. (On my next Pacific run, I need to swap my China Mobile sim to a micro-Sim so that I can run it thru the N5 ... if only it can take dual micro-Sim - going to pickup a Qi wireless charger for it)

Be sure to get a good bumper case and/or protective pouch/cover for it as dropping it isn't going to be fun. It has native WiFi hotspot feature for tethering (unless blocked by carrier, etc.) and a perfect companion to my Nexus 7 with mini BT keyboard.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Dec 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
I'll be going to Japan with exactly that setup: Nexus 5 + T-mobile unlimited plan with free global roaming. I'm wondering if the speeds will hold up. I figure that if I get at least Edge data and can load maps and email, I should be fine. For all other use cases, there's Wifi.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by kpowed
I'll be going to Japan with exactly that setup: Nexus 5 + T-mobile unlimited plan with free global roaming. I'm wondering if the speeds will hold up.
Read the tmo global data coverage thread, there are some detail comments re experience in japan, generally quite positive!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:08 pm

I've seen a number of comments to suggest that throttled 3g is still better than EDGE because of the reduced latency.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
The TMobile version supports WiFi calling.
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 sold through T-Mobile channels are the exact same ones sold through Google. The only perk is that you can finance your purchase through T-Mobile

I must have TMo wifi calling, so, unfortunately, I can never consider the Nexus line.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 sold through T-Mobile channels are the exact same ones sold through Google. The only perk is that you can finance your purchase through T-Mobile

I must have TMo wifi calling, so, unfortunately, I can never consider the Nexus line.
Unfortunately you are correct and I retract my prior post. I put the question point blank to the sales person at a TMobile company store. He talked to other employees and said "Yes."
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:56 pm

"Using them on AT&T and T-Mo's 4G LTE network..."

So the Nexus 5 is getting LTE speed on T-Mobile? My Nexus 4 doesn't support LTE apparently without some hacking...??
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by xooz
"Using them on AT&T and T-Mo's 4G LTE network..." So the Nexus 5 is getting LTE speed on T-Mobile? My Nexus 4 doesn't support LTE apparently without some hacking...??
N5 officially supports 4G LTE and HSPA/+ and plenty of bands covered on stock rom & kernel, no tweaks necessary or required. Got 2 of them running on AT&T and T-Mo's "native" network, good to excellent speed & low latency - better than our "turbo" boosted cable broadband speed as offered to most homes a year ago and rival that of Fios network.

Link to XDA where speedtest results are being shared & posted among users on different carriers and in other countries as well - very impressive as a whole (mine is in there somewhere) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2518329
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline independent, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
This is all great advice, thanks so much! Think I'm ready to ditch Verizon and my aging Galaxy Nexus for Tmobile, whee!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.