Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any success getting 200MB/month free T-Mobile tablet data?

Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM

** I had success and what I did for my iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1 is post 11. It required me to use a browser other than Safari.

I'd like to take advantage of the 200MB/month data that T-Mobile is offering free to unlocked/contract-free tablets on my iPad 1. I ordered a micro SIM kit for free (current promo) and have already run into problems. The online Web activation won't go forward on my computer since it is not a phone. Since I'm stuck on iOS 5, I don't get the View Account option in iOS 7. The T-Mobile activation pages on the iPad go nowhere. Phone customer service is clueless.

I read that the whole offer has been a debacle and I can see why. I think I'm going to visit a T-Mobile store in the area to see if they can get it set up.

Anyone have success getting the 200MB free data on a tablet without already being a T-Mobile customer?

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Definitely hit the store. I've used a couple in my area and they've always been fairly successful in overcoming activation issues. That said, I haven't tried activating T-Mobile on my iPad yet.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
The free SIMs are typically for phones, not tablets. Is that the case here?

I know...they SHOULD be the same, but perhaps there's something different about them, maybe they way they're configured or something.

I have 2 SIMs sitting here now, haven't had a chance to try in a tablet.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Not sure what you ordered, but I simply ordered a free sim online, I did pick one for tablet broadband, but don't really think that should be an issue. put the SIM in, up popped t-mobile, then had to do the activation dance, but I only chose the 200MB plan, so no credit card was needed. It took about 10 minutes all in.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Activated several of them without issues. Go to a store and let them deal with it.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:37 am

I am not a T-mobile customer, and I have 2 iPad Mini Retina using T-mobile SIMs and getting the free 200Mb per month. It was really easy to set up too. Everything was done on the iPad in a few minutes and it was off.

I have not reach the monthly renew date yet, so I don't know if it would auto renew smoothly or not.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by CApreppie
... The online Web activation won't go forward on my computer since it is not a phone. Since I'm stuck on iOS 5, I don't get the View Account option in iOS 7. The T-Mobile activation pages on the iPad go nowhere. Phone customer service is clueless ...

Anyone have success getting the 200MB free data on a tablet without already being a T-Mobile customer?
T-Mo corporate stores should be able to do it and you do NOT need to be an active T-Mo customer but an account will need to be established.

Online activation has to be done on the iPad itself - make sure you will OFF WiFi on the device first so that it is using mobile data (as that normally will bring you to the T-Mo signup webpage.) It checks for the IMEI on the mobile tablet & it is then "locked" with the Sim so you cannot move or switch it around to other devices while on this free 200MB plan.

Did you order specifically the (free) data (micro) Sim card as it is bundled differently without activation code and mine came in a small plastic pouch?

4G LTE on T-Mo is very fast and 200MB data will burn very, very quickly - unless you are using it on the road to check email & not to surf, which I'm sure you knew already.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Online activation has to be done on the iPad itself - make sure you will OFF WiFi on the device first so that it is using mobile data (as that normally will bring you to the T-Mo signup webpage.) It checks for the IMEI on the mobile tablet & it is then "locked" with the Sim so you cannot move or switch it around to other devices while on this free 200MB plan.

Did you order specifically the (free) data (micro) Sim card as it is bundled differently without activation code and mine came in a small plastic pouch?
I think that is where I goofed. I didn't realize that there was a separate data micro SIM that you had to order. I see there is a page on T-Mobile's website on them. I ordered one of the free ones and didn't realize it was phone only.

I will go the T-Mobile store five minutes away and beg them to help me out.

This will be more for occasional surfing/checking email since I have my iPhone 5 with me at all times anyways.

Glad to hear that people are taking advantage of it. I haven't been a T-Mobile user since the iPhone 3G and am thinking of going back when the iPhone 6 comes out.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
It checks for the IMEI on the mobile tablet & it is then "locked" with the Sim so you cannot move or switch it around to other devices while on this free 200MB plan.
Has anyone been successful doing this with a Nexus 7? Or is it iPads only?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by unmesh
Has anyone been successful doing this with a Nexus 7? Or is it iPads only?
Any tablet you want. See their site here.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Success. My problem was that the version of Safari in iOS 5.1.1, did not like the T-Mobile activation pages. I tried and had success with Mercury Browser.

How the process went for me.

1. Connected to T-Mobile 3G signal
2. Opened Mercury Browser (great Safari alternative) and attempted to go to Google.com
3. Redirects to the T-Mobile activation page and from there you choose to activate your Mobile Internet Device
4. Select the register for new account and fill out some personal information: address, birthday, phone number, email, password.
5. Select the 200MB free plan
6. Agree to the T&C and confirm
7. Check your email for the T-Mobile Confirmation emails. Very important to save and note the Device # they assign you which is essentially your device's phone number. Mine came with the area code that my address is. T-Mobile requires this phone number/device number as well as email and password when you log into My T-Mobile to check your usage, change account information, buy more data, etc.

I haven't seen how the process works on iOS 6/7, but I think it is simpler since there is a View Account option that iOS 5 does not have. Perhaps someone can clarify what happens with newer iOS versions.

Going to the T-Mobile store was useless, they said I could only activate online now for this plan and could not do in the store.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Going to the T-Mobile store was useless, they said I could only activate online now for this plan and could not do in the store.
That's disappointing, but congrats on finding a solution. Using another browser sure wouldn't have been the most obvious choice!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spectre17
That's disappointing, but congrats on finding a solution. Using another browser sure wouldn't have been the most obvious choice!
Who knows if that was actually the case or the right info. They didn't seem to be too interested in trying to help me there on the spot. YMMV store to store.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Spectre17
Any tablet you want. See their site here.
Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Anyone taken their free 200mb abroad? They claim it works as part of their data anywhere plan

. I'm getting my t-mobile SIM this week and am leaving the country in a few weeks. If I don't soak thru the 200mb, I can check when I'm abroad. I'll post results, maybe even for free on the ipad using T-mobile

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.