Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any success getting 200MB/month free T-Mobile tablet data?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:35 am

Does anyone know what the phone number associated with the T-mobile account on the iPad do? Just an ID and nothing else?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by Need
Does anyone know what the phone number associated with the T-mobile account on the iPad do? Just an ID and nothing else?
yeah just to identify your account. My verizon SIM for my iPad has an associated phone number too.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:15 am

I got my old 3G iPad 1 working yesterday, TMO store gave me a microsim as the TMO sim I had was a full size one .
I tried activating it online with 3 browsers and I never could get it working ,

So I called the toll free number , got the run around some, as most agents do not even know about this , asked for a Supervisor and she knew exactly what to do , you need the number off the sim and the IMEI number from the iPad.

She said it would be "live" in 2 hours......no idea how long it really took but 6 hours later it was working .......YEAH

the 200mb is for 30 days , not starting on the 1st of the month , so you might want to set it up so it starts at travel time .

Anyway thanks for the hint , I would never have found it myself
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
the 200mb is for 30 days , not starting on the 1st of the month , so you might want to set it up so it starts at travel time .
I have 2 iPads activated the free 200Mb plan on different day of the month, but they both ended up with a 20th of the month start date for the 2nd month. They are activated under different name and email, so I am sure they are not linked. I guess 20th is the start date for all Tmobile plan unless you change it?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: MR Platinum

In case anyone find themselves out in the country as I did, the free data plan does work on EDGE too, and usage does count against the 200MB limit.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Where did that work for you?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Error 601
Where did that work for you?
Southwest of Houston along the coast. T-Mobile coverage map showed good 2G coverage for the area.

The same areas had AT&T HSPA and supposedly Verizon LTE coverage though, so I used the free data only for Google Maps navigation and left the other more demanding tasks to my AT&T devices.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'll be taking my iPad overseas soon. I'll see how the free 200MB data works overseas.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I'll be taking my iPad overseas soon. I'll see how the free 200MB data works overseas.
Wait, does that work? I thought I read upthread that the free international data roaming was only on the paid plans?

I hope I'm wrong.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by lensman
Wait, does that work? I thought I read upthread that the free international data roaming was only on the paid plans?
I hope I'm wrong.
When I signed up at the TMO store, supervisor who assisted specifically advised this is domestic deal only.

He said be careful if you use overseas.....if you're going abroad, worth calling CS to reconfirm.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by lensman

I hope I'm wrong.
You both were correct. I thought it was, but after searching the web, it looks like only for the paid plans. Not sure I will bring my iPad with me then since its a clunky gen 1.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Need
I have 2 iPads activated the free 200Mb plan on different day of the month, but they both ended up with a 20th of the month start date for the 2nd month. They are activated under different name and email, so I am sure they are not linked. I guess 20th is the start date for all Tmobile plan unless you change it?
How do check if your account has been reset ?

is it on the devise (iPad) or on TMO website ?

And often on my iPad it will say "no sim card" when there is one and I have to reboot and hope it shows up !
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:23 pm

I get an email every 30 days telling me that my 200 MB data pass is active.
You can check on the website too, at mim.t-mobile.com
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Finally got it working on another iPad (iPad 2 AT&T). When I first tried with Safari, the sign up page wouldn't display correct and I would get an error page. The next time I tried I tried to use Chrome, also errored out. Finally downloaded Mercury browser and it worked. Crazy.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
easy peasy for my att ipad mini retina....just ordered and activated according to directions....reception is worse than att in iowa and the parts of the bay area (at least the places i was hanging out), but way better than att or verizon in the south suburbs of chicago.

I am thinking about using my 200 free mb, and then switching the att card that has the 3 month, 1gb plan to supplement over usage. or maybe ill just use the att most of the time and switch to tmobile paid plan for international travel....choices, choices, choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.