Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any success getting 200MB/month free T-Mobile tablet data?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Anyone taken their free 200mb abroad? They claim it works as part of their data anywhere plan

. I'm getting my t-mobile SIM this week and am leaving the country in a few weeks. If I don't soak thru the 200mb, I can check when I'm abroad. I'll post results, maybe even for free on the ipad using T-mobile
You can be the guinea pig.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I went to a T-Mobile store just to buy the SIM cards, but the idiots in the store gave me cards activated with a prepaid monthly voice plan. It took more than an hour on the phone to get it fixed.

No commission on selling sim cards I suppose.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Error 601
... T-Mobile ... idiots in the store gave me cards activated with a prepaid monthly voice plan. It took more than an hour on the phone to get it fixed. No commission on selling sim cards I suppose.
Probably only "credits" toward their retail sales quota ... and they didn't "sell" you refill cards, LOL.

Another reason to avoid the stores if possible, especially around the holiday season. Our friendly UPS driver said, "T-Mo, again"

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Success. My problem was that the version of Safari in iOS 5.1.1, did not like the T-Mobile activation pages. I tried and had success with Mercury Browser ... Going to the T-Mobile store was useless, they said I could only activate online now for this plan and could not do in the store.
Loved reading about a happy ending (aside from the store idiots, of course ...)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:33 am

Been using this since Nov. you will need the simple choice plan which is a minume of 500 mb for $20.00 a month. That being said i'm using an ipad air from T Mobile. So far it has worked great. Worked in the following countrys so far.

China
Korea
Japan
Brazil
Germany
Colombia

Didnt work in Guam or afganistan
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Probably only "credits" toward their retail sales quota ... and they didn't "sell" you refill cards, LOL.

Another reason to avoid the stores if possible, especially around the holiday season. Our friendly UPS driver said, "T-Mo, again"

Loved reading about a happy ending (aside from the store idiots, of course ...)
My attempts to order online have failed and neither T-Mobile or Visa could explain why...

What one of the half dozen people on the phone said was the salesmen know that if they screw-up an activation in a self-serving way that will require that the sim has to be re-provisioned from scratch that the commission chargeback will probably never find its way back to them because the technicians just don't care while lesser screw ups that can be fixed by customer service will.

Jokes on them, I would have gone back there to setup one of the global plans.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
No dice on Nexus 7 4G. Had an existing mobile broadband plan that was scrapped and replaced with the 200MB one when TMo announced the plan. I could log in and see my account is active, but I keep seeing a 'log on to network' message which takes me to the upsell page.

Went to the store and they couldn't help me either. Even tried to start a new account, same problem. An hour not well spent in the store.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
T-Mobile has the SIM card activation kits no cost with free shipping for a limited time. They are usually $10 each. If you use for a tablet, don't follow the instructions that come in the packet. Put the SIM in and connect to the T-Mobile signal and it will redirect you.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...m-cards-filter
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spectre17
Originally Posted by unmesh
Has anyone been successful doing this with a Nexus 7? Or is it iPads only?
Any tablet you want. See their site here.
Not 100% sure about that.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700

T-mo have been running free SIM offers recently for "phone" SIMs and charging $10 for "data" SIMs. The "phone" SIM works for the free data plan.

Just plug the SIM in, turn off WiFi, and then launch a browser to be redirected to the sign up page.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:03 pm

Just ordered two free Micro sims, will try again on Nexus 7 4G when they arrive. Will report back if successful.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
FYI, I got my free 200MB data just fine with a new iPad Retina Mini.

However, when I went on a $20/mo plan so I could get free global data, there was no service in either Costa Rica or Nicaragua (despite being listed on T-Mobile's site as available).

So, there's that.

AT&T works just fine, so I'm probably not switching my phone over. That would suck.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
free?

Originally Posted by jercdevil
Been using this since Nov. you will need the simple choice plan which is a minume of 500 mb for $20.00 a month. That being said i'm using an ipad air from T Mobile. So far it has worked great. Worked in the following countrys so far.

China
Korea
Japan
Brazil
Germany
Colombia

Didnt work in Guam or afganistan
are you saying you got the 250MB free data service to work in these countries, or did you do the 500MB and it worked for free (or only the 20$ you paid) in these countries?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by deirdre
FYI, I got my free 200MB data just fine with a new iPad Retina Mini.

However, when I went on a $20/mo plan so I could get free global data, there was no service in either Costa Rica or Nicaragua (despite being listed on T-Mobile's site as available).

So, there's that.

AT&T works just fine, so I'm probably not switching my phone over. That would suck.
Were you on a postpaid plan where they ran your credit? If not, you don't get the global roaming.

From their website: Qualifying postpaid Simple Choice Plan and capable device required.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by unmesh
Has anyone been successful doing this with a Nexus 7? Or is it iPads only?
I have it working on my Nexus 7.

It was a PITA to get it working though, spent over an hour in the store, but eventually one of the employees got it working after a long session with their technical support. The SIM card provisioning (and the account I set up online) was completely borked and took a while to sort out.

Meanwhile, the other employee in the store said the Nexus 7 was ineligible, and told me that the website was wrong and that I should just give up and go home.

So, it is possible to get it working, but the employee training on this is not great. You might need to go through multiple customer representatives to get there...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:27 pm

tried again with a new micro Sim (one that said for prepaid phones on the package) and was able to create new account with new email address and got it to work on my Nexus 7 4G. not sure if old account(s) associated with the previous email address is the problem but hope this helps others. I have spent probably 5 hours working on this including 1.5 hours in a store to no avail.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm probably not the best guy to discuss this, inasmuch as I don't use a smartphone, but: I was working on the computer last night and in the course of the evening I viewed a couple of Youtube videos (mostly music) and maybe a little web surfing. Not much more than that.

Before I shut down, I checked the data traffic - over 300 Mb incoming.

It seemed to me that if I was doing all the hip wonderful things the ads show folks doing with their phones, I'd burn through 200 Mb in a day or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.