Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with replacing landlines with OBiTALK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Bwahaahaaa...

Tell that to all the people in the NE who had phone service even though the power was out for weeks in some cases.
OK.

Peeps of the NE. Get a horse. If you lose power and gas can't be pumped, you can commute with it. You can also burn the poop for heat/cooking. Think of it as insurance against a 100 year event.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Whatever.

I was just offering advice based upon my experience last year.

Instead, I get mocked. Way to go ^^^
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
OK.

Peeps of the NE. Get a horse. If you lose power and gas can't be pumped, you can commute with it. You can also burn the poop for heat/cooking. Think of it as insurance against a 100 year event.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Why does Hotmail, yahoo and the others not have something similar to GV? Patents?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Why does Hotmail, yahoo and the others not have something similar to GV? Patents?
uh because it loses money? LOL.

It's a total money loser. It's sole benefit is in keeping users tied more to Google so they'll click on more ads...probably doesn't even do that...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Whatever. I was just offering advice based upon my experience last year. Instead, I get mocked. Way to go ^^^
Well, anyone in a house newer than the last ~10 years (~20 in many places) won't have the option of a true landline: they're all fibre optic now, even if the cabling in the building is copper. No one is putting in copper cabling for the backhaul part of the equation for over a decade.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I can't even get fiber optic at my house. We're here 17 years.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by richard
uh because it loses money? LOL.

It's a total money loser. It's sole benefit is in keeping users tied more to Google so they'll click on more ads...probably doesn't even do that...
I think that google voice is used by a tiny percentage of the population, which would make it a rounding error on page 483 of GOOG's quarterly report. I personally don't know anyone else who uses it, and I know a lot of people whom you might consider to be "power users" of all things electronic/data/etc.

(Though admittedly, we prefer google hangouts for direct communication).

BTW, every time I see this thread title in OMNI, I think it has something to do with obituaries...
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
OK.

Well, clearly as a son of a deity, you have lighting bolts of power available to you at any time. The rest of us are not so lucky.

Double
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Mrs. Swede uses GV as her business line. She logs approximately 2500-3000 minutes per month. It's especially sweet when she works remotely overseas.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How are people using Obi abroad, doesn't GV restrict it's use to within the US?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

No, they don't. My OBi is used from Romania daily.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Once it's all set up you plug it in to a router wherever you are and it works. It doesn't really matter where the router physically is.

That's the same reason why I use Vonage: I take the adapter with me and that's all there is to it. Why Vonage? Well, overall, it works out cheaper for me because I'm making a bucketload of calls to India, Brazil, China, and Japan. It is also far, far easier to set up and move than anything else I've seen. All that and I can't be bothered researching and switching services if I'm only going to save a dollar or 10 a month on something that's tax deductible for me anyway. Obviously, YMMV.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

Did you first set it up here and then take it there?

Anyone have ideas on alternatives to GV?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL

Originally Posted by Denolloyd

Did you first set it up here and then take it there?

Anyone have ideas on alternatives to GV?
Ah yes, I did. And think this actually must be done.

I have not looked at other providers just yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.