Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Israel (and non-prepaid)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
Israel has full-service carriers and MVNOs (to the consumer, there is ZERO difference between the 2!)

Full Service
  • Orange (also known as Partner Communications)
  • Cellcom - Promotion: 2 unlimited cellphone, 15 MBs home internet (sapak only), and home phone line with unlimited calling - NIS 199/month for 6 months (after which price increases to NIS 249)
  • Pelephone
  • HOT Mobile* (Note: stores are closed Saturday night, contrary to what's listed on the website). HOT Mobile customers benefit from free internet service ("sapak") through HOTnet (though must still purchase "tashtit."
  • Golan Telecom*

MVNOs*
  • Rami Levi Communications
  • YouPhone (also known as Alon Cellular) - Current promotion: NIS 39/month for first 4 months for unlimited talk/text and unlimited internet (speed throttled after 1GB). After 4 months, price goes up to NIS 79. Add NIS 10 to increase base internet to 3GB
  • Home Cellular
  • 012Smile - Roams off parent company, Orange

*None of these carriers work with BlackBerry. If you have a BlackBerry (including the new Q10 or Z10) and you get a SIM from any of these companies, calls/SMS will work, but no data (internet, BlackBerry data such as BBM, push email,) will work. You will need to be connected to WiFi to connect to internet.

If coming to Israel for just a few days, it's probably not worth going through the hassle of signing up with a carrier, and just renting a SIM through one of the following companies: Talk n Save, Israel Phones, TravelCell, or World SIM Travel.

If you're going to be traveling to Israel frequently, then it becomes worth signing up with a carrier. HOT Mobile offers a plan that has no monthly charge, and costs 13 agurot/minute to call Israeli phone numbers, 13 agurot/domestic SMS, cheap direct dialing rates abroad, (15 agurot/minute to USA,) and 13 agurot/MB internet. The cost of the SIM is a one-time fee of NIS 39. Sign up is possible with a foreign credit card and with a passport number in lieu of an Israeli identity number (Teudat Zehut). (Note that this plan isn't listed on the English site.)

If you plan on being in Israel for a month or two, Golan is another option. They have a special now for new subscribers which is their regular plan, free of charge for the first 2 months. The plan includes unlimited domestic calling and unlimited domestic SMS, unlimited 3G data (speeds throttled after 3GB), and international calling. After 2 months, the cost goes up to NIS 99. Sign-up is possible with a foreign credit card and a passport number.

A unique benefit of Golan is the ability to have a virtual phone number, free of charge.

If you'll be in Israel long-term, both HOT Mobile and Golan offer the same unlimited plans at NIS 99, with specials now, such as NIS 49 or NIS 59 for the first few months.

Note regarding prices: All prices include the 18% VAT (Israeli Value Added Tax, or sales tax in Israel)
Prices are listed in (ILS) shekel (NIS = New Israeli Shekel). 100 agurot equal 1 shekel. Google "convert XXX to ILS" to check current exchange rates between shekel and local currency.

How to dial internationally from Israel?
HOT Mobile - dial 00-country code-local phone number OR dial "+" followed by country code and then local number
Golan Telecom - same as HOT Mobile
Orange - 012-country code (via 012 Smile)
Cellcom - 013-country code (via Netvision)
Pelephone - 014-country code (via Bezeq)
Rami Levi - 015-country code (via 015Hallo)

LTE!
Advanced LTE has made it to Israel, though not every carrier currently has it available.
Orange (Partner Communications) and subsidiary 012Smile offer Advanced LTE. To benefit, you must have a phone that supports either LTE band 3 or band 7.
All other networks in Israel use band 7 only!
They are: Pelephone and Cellcom
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - Israel (and non-prepaid)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Are you gonna be in Israel for a short period of time? Would you like for a tablet as opposed to a phone?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:28 pm

Prepaid SIM cards and Topup plans for Israel

Orange and Cellcom both offer unlimited data plans with the prepaid SIM card, you need to unlock your phone and you can use a prepaid SIM card with your device.

You can buy any prepaid SIM card for Israel online for $20 with free shipping, for your needs i recommend going with Orange since the unlimited plan is cheaper.

The Prepaid SIM card includes a local Israeli phone number and is yours to keep with no monthly fee or contract, all incoming calls and SMS are free and the SIM card will stay valid forever as long as a call or text message is either sent or received once per year.

Buying a Prepaid SIM card for Israel is the best solutions for travelers, prepaidisraelisim.com offers SIM cards and Topup plans for all the providers in Israel.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:24 pm

Orange and Cellcom both offer unlimited data plans with the prepaid SIM card, you need to unlock your phone and you can use a prepaid SIM card with your device.

You can buy any prepaid SIM card for Israel online for $20 with free shipping, for your needs i recommend going with Orange since the unlimited plan is cheaper.

The Prepaid SIM card includes a local Israeli phone number and is yours to keep with no monthly fee or contract, all incoming calls and SMS are free and the SIM card will stay valid forever as long as a call or text message is either sent or received once per year.

Buying a Prepaid SIM card for Israel is the best solutions for travelers, prepaidisraelisim.com offers SIM cards and Topup plans for all the providers in Israel.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Dani26

I found the coverage better with Orange but I use the 30 day 3 gig of data option for 79 shekel.

I've bought them in Israel for cash but Does anyone know where I can buy using an American credit card?

Last edited by estroh; Jan 17, 2014 at 10:20 am
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Heading to Israel for 12 days and need a lot of data (and minimal/no calling). I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 (I understand my phone may not work with the Israeli LTE bands; 3G is fine.) The unlimited data plan from Golan sounds appealing, and even at 99 shekels seems a good cost compared to some other countries.

Question: during the registration process, it asks for my US passport and then an address. Does this address need to belong to me? If so, that's obviously a problem--I'd be using a hotel's address. Also, is this the address they'll mail it to, and if so, how long does it take for them to send it? I'm kinda bumping up against the last minute, here...I leave tomorrow.

If Golan won't work due to the address thing, which of the carriers will sell and register a SIM (with unlimited or at least 1-2GB of data) to me as an American with a U.S. passport? Or will any mall kiosk be able to help me? A quick skim of the wiki and other posts in this thread seem to indicate it won't be a problem, but I just wanted to check.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Heading to Israel for 12 days and need a lot of data (and minimal/no calling). I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 (I understand my phone may not work with the Israeli LTE bands; 3G is fine.) The unlimited data plan from Golan sounds appealing, and even at 99 shekels seems a good cost compared to some other countries.
You're correct that the Israeli LTE bands won't work for you because Israel, as crazy as it sounds, doesn't yet have LTE!

One of the major carriers is apparently set to deploy it across the country, and it may even be advanced LTE (skipping a "generation), but that won't be ready until later in the year at the earliest.

Question: during the registration process, it asks for my US passport and then an address. Does this address need to belong to me? If so, that's obviously a problem--I'd be using a hotel's address. Also, is this the address they'll mail it to, and if so, how long does it take for them to send it? I'm kinda bumping up against the last minute, here...I leave tomorrow.
Likely that is the address it will be sent to. From recollection, Golan sent me a SIM to my house but in the regular mail. So the hotel may be able to pick it up for you and hold it, but leaving tomorrow doesn't bode well as it won't get there next day.

If Golan won't work due to the address thing, which of the carriers will sell and register a SIM (with unlimited or at least 1-2GB of data) to me as an American with a U.S. passport? Or will any mall kiosk be able to help me? A quick skim of the wiki and other posts in this thread seem to indicate it won't be a problem, but I just wanted to check.
Where will you be? Golan works with an electronics store chain, Bug. You can go there and pick up a SIM card with your US passport and foreign credit card, and don't have to worry about getting lost in the mail.

Alternatively, you can get prepaid service from the post office (there's one in the airport) or from many cellphone stores such as "Top Phone" - including Orange BigTalk.

Finally, you can rent a SIM from an American company, like Talk n Save. Depending on when you leave, they may be able to get your SIM to you before you get there, or may have a way of getting you the SIM at TLV.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You're correct that the Israeli LTE bands won't work for you because Israel, as crazy as it sounds, doesn't yet have LTE!

One of the major carriers is apparently set to deploy it across the country, and it may even be advanced LTE (skipping a "generation), but that won't be ready until later in the year at the earliest.
Ha, funny. I came across a site that showed LTE bands by iPhone model and country, and it had Israel (and most of Europe) listed under the Verizon model. (The phone compatible with AT&T apparently only has the LTE bands for North and South America.) The fact Israel was listed kind of led me to assume it was already present there! It is surprising that it's not.

Likely that is the address it will be sent to. From recollection, Golan sent me a SIM to my house but in the regular mail. So the hotel may be able to pick it up for you and hold it, but leaving tomorrow doesn't bode well as it won't get there next day.

Where will you be? Golan works with an electronics store chain, Bug. You can go there and pick up a SIM card with your US passport and foreign credit card, and don't have to worry about getting lost in the mail.

Alternatively, you can get prepaid service from the post office (there's one in the airport) or from many cellphone stores such as "Top Phone" - including Orange BigTalk.
Staying the first day, at least, and possibly a little more in TLV near the Trumpeldor cemetery. No plans firmed up beyond that. I will have a rental car, so getting around won't be a problem (other than parking...). Good to know there are options around. I'll do some more reading on the prices of the options.

Finally, you can rent a SIM from an American company, like Talk n Save. Depending on when you leave, they may be able to get your SIM to you before you get there, or may have a way of getting you the SIM at TLV.
Doubt it can get to me in time here. In all of the other cases I've looked into when traveling to other countries, too, the rates are a good bit higher than just buying one upon arrival. If it's not a huge problem to get one from somewhere after I land, I'll be fine--just need a good map to get from the airport to where I'm staying.

Thanks for the prompt assistance!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just looked at their website. The Post Office branch in Terminal 3 is closed between 18:00-19:00. Otherwise, you can get a prepaid SIM there for YouPhone, another company with decent service. You can even do that just for a bit until you get Golan from Bug which will give you more data (3GB at fixed price).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just looked at their website. The Post Office branch in Terminal 3 is closed between 18:00-19:00. Otherwise, you can get a prepaid SIM there for YouPhone, another company with decent service. You can even do that just for a bit until you get Golan from Bug which will give you more data (3GB at fixed price).
T3 landside and outside of immigration and all of that, I assume? If so, that would at least get me to my hotel (I understand Waze, which I love, is a very popular app there ). My flight arrives at 9:20am, so that should be perfect. Thanks!

Found my Europlug adapter in my stack-o-stuff, so hopefully I'm all good to go tech-wise, now...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Waze is highly used in Israel, making it extremely reliable. To get to the post office (AFAIK, there's just 1 in T3) - after clearing immigration and customs, you'll head upstairs to departures. If you head past check-in towards security, there's a long "hallway" right in front of security. With your back to security (meaning facing check-in), head all the way to the right.

Alternatively, in the baggage claim hall, there should be an information desk immediately upon entering. You can ask if there's another Post Office in the terminal. They can also point you to an Orange BigTalk (another prepaid option) in the baggage claim hall itself or right upon clearing customs, so no need to head upstairs.

I know that was a lot, so sorry. To sum up:
1. Try the information desk
2. If that fails, upon clearing customs, scan the desks there for a post office or cellphone stand to get a prepaid SIM
3. If that fails, follow my directions to the post office upstairs
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that was a lot, so sorry.
Nah, I'm a detail guy, so that was fine. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:40 am

When I was just in Israel, the airport post office did not have Sim Cards that fit an iPhone 5. Has anyone been able to find one that fits? Or do you buy one and cut the Sim Card your self?

Waze is highly used in Israel, making it extremely reliable. To get to the post office (AFAIK, there's just 1 in T3) - after clearing immigration and customs, you'll head upstairs to departures. If you head past check-in towards security, there's a long "hallway" right in front of security. With your back to security (meaning facing check-in), head all the way to the right.

Alternatively, in the baggage claim hall, there should be an information desk immediately upon entering. You can ask if there's another Post Office in the terminal. They can also point you to an Orange BigTalk (another prepaid option) in the baggage claim hall itself or right upon clearing customs, so no need to head upstairs.

I know that was a lot, so sorry. To sum up:
1. Try the information desk
2. If that fails, upon clearing customs, scan the desks there for a post office or cellphone stand to get a prepaid SIM
3. If that fails, follow my directions to the post office upstairs
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, this is wonderful. I realized while I was on my flight over that I had recently had my phone exchanged at the Apple Store (battery issues)...and the replacement phone they gave to me was most likely NOT SIM-unlocked. I've contacted AT&T to see if they can whitelist my IMEI, but it's a slow process and they have not responded yet. Third-party unlock solutions that used to be $5 and instant are now $50+ and take several weeks (guess the loophole was closed), so it looks like there is no quick fix.

Hertz could rent me an iPad with unlimited tethering for $20/day. Umm, no thanks. Surely I can do better than that.

Some of the vendors listed in the wiki will rent USB modems and Mifis for $6-8/day, which I'd be willing to pay at this point, but it looks like those are the kind that require shipping in advance of your trip. Since I don't have definite plans of where I'm going (I'm taking it day by day), that is not a great option.

Anyone know of a local place (ideally with an outlet in/near Tel Aviv, preferably in the central area) that will rent a Mifi (or, less preferable, a USB modem) that I can go to and walk out with one?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this type of service in Israel. The closest would be something like Talk n Save which rents mobile hotspots. They can deliver in Israel, so they could likely deliver to a hotel. In addition, Orange sells MiFi plans, except you need to purchase the device itself for 482 shekel. The service itself can be canceled at any time though
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shockingly, AT&T processed an unlock for my iPhone 5, even though it's only 16 months old. The fact I have been with AT&T for 13 years and have four lines on my account and a monthly recurring charge of $220 might have helped.

Now, to find a SIM in semi-rural Galilee (well, Tiberias, but headed south along route 90 to Eliat)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.