Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Sweden

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
Almost all of these can be purchased from convenience stores and mobile phone stores in Sweden. If you arrive at Arlanda Airport Terminal 5, when you exit and walk towards SkyCity, there is an unmanned Lycamobile kiosk with a stack of free SIM card packages.
Note: all SIM card purchases now requires ID registration. Most can be done on the website. For Americans, it appears that REAL ID-compliant driver's licenses are not accepted, so you will need to take a picture of your passport page.

Telenor (Updated 30 June 2023)

Fastpris
  • Unlimited domestic calls
  • Unlimited domestic texts
  • 500MB (49 kr)
  • 2 GB (99 kr)
  • 5 GB (149 kr)
  • 10 GB (199 kr)
  • 20 GB (249 kr)
  • 40 GB + 500 int'l calling minutes (299 kr)
  • 100 GB + 1000 int'l calling minutes (349 k)
  • 150 GB + 1500 int'l calling minutes (449 kr)
  • Valid for 31 consecutive days except for 500MB plan
  • Valid for roaming in EU
Lycamobile [MVNO using Telenor towers] (Updated 30 June 2023)

Lyca Smart
  • Unlimited domestic minutes
  • Unlimited domestic text
  • EU roaming included (roughly 35-50% of data plan allowed)
  • International calling to most countries included with most plans (# minutes indicated)
  • Valid for 30 days
  • 3GB | 0 minutes (85 kr) [Lyca Smart M]
  • 5GB | 100 minutes (99 kr) [Lyca Smart L]
  • 10GB | 300 minutes (149 kr) [Lyca Smart Super]
  • 15GB | 500 minutes (199 kr) [Lyca Smart XL]
  • 50GB | 500 minutes (238 kr) [Lyca Smart Starter]
  • 100GB | 1000 minutes (340 kr) [Lyca Smart Standard]
  • 200GB | 1000 minutes (398 kr) [Lyca Smart Pro]
3 (Tre) - no longer sells pre-paid SIM plans (Updated 30 June 2023)

Telia (Updated 30 June 2023)

Ladda Fastpris
  • Valid for roaming in EU
  • 1GB data - 7 day pass (59 kr)
  • 1GB data (109 kr)
  • 3GB data (199 kr)
  • 5GB data + 100 int'l minutes (249 kr)
  • 10GB data + 300 int'l minutes (329 kr)
  • 15GB data + 500 int'l minutes (459 kr)
  • Valid for 30 consecutive days

Ladda Surf
  • Data only
  • Valid for 30 days
  • Unknown if valid for roaming in EU
  • 500MB (49 kr)
  • 2GB (149 kr)
  • 30GB (499 kr)
  • Unlimited - 72 hours only (249 kr)
  • Unlimited (899 kr)
Comviq/Tele2 (Updated 30 June 2023)

Fastpris
  • Valid for 30 days
  • Valid for EU roaming
  • 500MB data - valid 7 days (45 kr)
  • 5GB data (145 kr)
  • 10GB data (195 kr)
  • 20GB data + 100 int'l minutes (245 kr)
  • 40GB data + 500 int'l minutes (295 kr)
  • 100 GB data + 1000 int'l minutes (345 kr)

Fastpris Mini (95 kr)
  • 200 domestic minutes
  • 2000 domestic texts
  • 3GB data included
  • Not valid for roaming outside of Sweden

Halebop (Updated 30 June 2023)

Halebop Fastpris
  • Valid for EU roaming
  • 2 GB data (129 kr)
  • 6 GB data (209 kr)
  • 20 GB data (319 kr)
  • 50 GB data (369 kr)
  • 100 GB data (429 kr)
Hallon (Updated 30 June 2023)
  • Unlimited domestic minutes and texts
  • Unknown if valid for roaming in EU
  • 4 GB data (99 kr)
  • 8 GB data (149 kr)
  • 25 GB data (249 kr)
  • 50 GB data (299 kr)
  • 100 GB data (349 kr)
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Updated Telenor's offerings.

They have simplified pre-paid to how much data you want to pay for.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: SK EBG *G
Updated Comviq/Tele2's offerings. New option Fastpris Mini, increased data allowances on the other packages.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Upon entering the T5 arrivals hall at Arlanda, there was a small desk with a bunch of SIM card packages for Lycamobile. I grabbed four of them. Upon further research, they are an MVNO utilizing Telenor towers. Since I know I get pretty good coverage at the summer house, I jumped on it.

I inserted the SIM card. After a few minutes, a text message pinged assigning me a phone number. With that phone number, I went to their website (lycamobile.se), clicked on Refill/Tanka, entered the phone number, selected the pre-paid plan I wanted (35GB for 199 kr), paid, and I got a text message (and e-mail) confirming my purchase shortly afterwards. Very easy process.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: too many
Back in 2008, when I was an exchange student, Tele2 had excellent prices for international calling (Data was not prevalent at that time), I remember it was something like 0.02 €/min to EU destinations
I can't remember the name of the price plan, but it was a pay as you go.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Upon entering the T5 arrivals hall at Arlanda, there was a small desk with a bunch of SIM card packages for Lycamobile. I grabbed four of them. Upon further research, they are an MVNO utilizing Telenor towers. Since I know I get pretty good coverage at the summer house, I jumped on it.

I inserted the SIM card. After a few minutes, a text message pinged assigning me a phone number. With that phone number, I went to their website (lycamobile.se), clicked on Refill/Tanka, entered the phone number, selected the pre-paid plan I wanted (35GB for 199 kr), paid, and I got a text message (and e-mail) confirming my purchase shortly afterwards. Very easy process.
If needing less data than that and having an eSIM-capable device, Airalo sells Sweden eSIMs with a 1GB/7 day one for $4.50, a 3GB/30 day one for $8, a 5GB/30 day one for $12, and a 10GB/30 day one for $18. Those eSIMs use Telenor’s network.

And for those transiting Denmark or other European countries on a trip to/from Sweden, the European regional SIM can be a good option that includes Sweden and most of the typical European transit airports for TATL trips to/from Sweden.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updated prices and added a bit of information that you have to register your pre-paid SIM card on the mobile provider's website. I would recommend doing it on a device where you can take a picture and a selfie easily. I tried using my REAL ID-compliant Colorado driver's license and it wasn't accepted with Lycamobile.

I bought a new plan then travelled to Italy about 48 hours later. It took a while for the phone to register on the Italian network, but it eventually did; however, whenever going from being connected to wifi to mobile wasn't as seamless. I often had to toggle airplane mode for the phone to reconnect to the mobile network; sometimes multiple times, and sometimes it wouldn't connect for 10-15 minutes. This seemed to be more of an issue for my T-Mobile (now unlocked) phone versus the purely unlocked Samsung and iPhone that Mrs. Swede and Miss Swede use.

Also, it seems like all of these pre-paid plans do not have eSIM capability except for Comviq/Tele2.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:54 am
Suspended

Updated prices and added a bit of information that you have to register your pre-paid SIM card on the mobile provider's website. I would recommend doing it on a device where you can take a picture and a selfie easily. I tried using my REAL ID-compliant Colorado driver's license and it wasn't accepted with Lycamobile.

I bought a new plan then travelled to Italy about 48 hours later. It took a while for the phone to register on the Italian network, but it eventually did; however, whenever going from being connected to wifi to mobile wasn't as seamless. I often had to toggle airplane mode for the phone to reconnect to the mobile network; sometimes multiple times, and sometimes it wouldn't connect for 10-15 minutes. This seemed to be more of an issue for my T-Mobile (now unlocked) phone versus the purely unlocked Samsung and iPhone that Mrs. Swede and Miss Swede use.

Also, it seems like all of these pre-paid plans do not have eSIM capability except for Comviq/Tele2.
During Q3 2022, a Swedish law went effective requiring that all then current and future prepaid Swedish phone number SIMs be blocked from loading of any funds for phone calls, SMS and data unless the accounts are registered with ID documents that meet certain specs. From my understanding, US drivers licenses of all sorts are to be rejected in the process by the Swedish mobile phone network operators and MVNOs when it comes to Swedish mobile phone numbers. Did you get a different plan operator to accept any of your ID beside a US passport?
Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No, but I figured since it was REAL ID-compliant that it would be accepted. I know that it's not the same, but Miss Swede's boyfriend used his Colorado driver's license when buying alcohol in a restaurant without issues. I occasionally had to show my CO DL at Systembolaget, and that was also accepted.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:01 pm
Suspended

No, but I figured since it was REAL ID-compliant that it would be accepted. I know that it's not the same, but Miss Swede's boyfriend used his Colorado driver's license when buying alcohol in a restaurant without issues. I occasionally had to show my CO DL at Systembolaget, and that was also accepted.
If anyone finds a Swedish phone number SIM provider which routinely accepts any US DL’s, I would love to know about it if only because it would be nice to set up the plans at times when presenting a current US passport for the prospective Swedish SIM/eSIM user is not possible. I guess the backup plan is that it’s possible to use anyone’s currently valid US passport even if it’s not for the person who is to use the Swedish SIM/eSIM.

Also, if registering a SIM in Sweden, try to opt out of the marketing communications stuff and see if you can opt to keep the number from being publicly listed.

On a side-note: REAL ID-compliant or non-REAL ID-compliant means officially zero in Sweden and the rest of Europe, and so where the REAL ID-complaint US-state issued ID gets accepted, non-REAL ID-compliant US state-issued ID would almost certainly work too. [Driving in Sweden is a case in point, as REAL ID-compliant DL does nothing more than US state DL’s that are not REAL ID-compliant. And in the case of at least elsewhere in the EU, even swapping a US DL for a local DL is no different based on whether the DL is REAL ID-compliant or not.]

About prepaid with eSIMs, Telia was taking some prepaid physical SIM accounts and allowing them to be switched to prepaid eSIM accounts even without going into a Telia shop. Not sure if Telia have discontinued that service option, but they didn’t unwind it for the prepaid accounts that they had switched from a physical SIM to eSIMs.
pseudoswede likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.