Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
This link seems to work better:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31748592
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Andrus Ansip, the former PM of Estonia who is now the EU commissioner for crafting a single digital market strategy, supports ending roaming charges as soon as possible.

However, this roaming charges issue seems to be tied to the debate about net neutrality. The European Parliament is for net neutrality while the Germans appears to be for prioritization of "special services."

It doesn't sound like the EU bodies have much clout other than advisory roles on this issue. Sounds like ultimately, the member govts. will make the final decision.

In Europe, governments have taken a softer approach. This month they agreed to allow telecom operators to charge premiums for certain Internet services, such as online television, to guarantee speedy connections—provided the Internet connection for the majority of users wasn’t impaired by such deals.

That position, and a decision to leave mobile-phone roaming charges in place until at least 2018, sets up a clash with the European Parliament over the bloc’s telecom market overhaul. EU lawmakers have advocated strict rules on net neutrality that would force Internet service providers to treat all traffic equally, and have called for an end to mobile roaming fees by year-end.

For the plans to become law, national governments must thrash out a compromise deal with the European Parliament and with the commission. The commission, which made the initial proposal, can also withdraw it if it is unhappy with the direction the negotiations have taken.

In calling for “strong net-neutrality rules,” Mr. Ansip seemed to side with the parliament—and against Günther Oettinger, his fellow EU commissioner and Germany’s powerful representative in Brussels.

“We need an open Internet for consumers...no blocking or throttling,” Mr. Ansip said.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/eus-digi...ity-1427215501
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:51 am
Suspended

So they announced an agreement today to end roaming charges by June 2017. Who knows after all the previous false starts whether this will stick?

Data roaming charges are set to be abolished within the European Union by June 2017, it has been announced.

The ban will be preceded by a 14-month interim period, in which companies can still add surcharges - but at a reduced rate.

A deal, reached on Tuesday, also sets out rules requiring telecom operators to treat most internet traffic equally.

But the net neutrality rules will allow firms to favour some services, such as internet TVs.

From April 2016, telecoms operators will be able to add a surcharge of no more than:
€0.05 (3.5p) extra per minute for calls
€0.02 extra per SMS sent
€0.05 extra per megabyte of data used

The cap would make roaming within the EU 75% cheaper during the interim period, the European Commission said.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33325031

So the timeline is for member states to ratify these new rules, including the net neutrality (with exceptions) rules, by December of this year:

The agreement will be presented to the EU's member states between July and December this year for formal adoption.

The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) - the fourth largest grouping of MEPs in the European Parliament - has previously criticised regulators for trying to water down plans to end data roaming.

But it welcomed Tuesday's announcement.

The president of the ALDE group, Guy Verhofstadt, said the "great roaming rip-off" was to be brought to an end.

The group blamed the delay in successfully negotiating the deal on member states, which have been accused of seeking to protect their national operators in the past.

But Marietje Schaake MEP, another member of the group, renewed the attack on the net-neutrality deal, saying: "The compromise reached now is a watered-down version of the strong ambitions of the European Parliament."

Gunther Oettinger, the commissioner for the digital economy and society, defended the net-neutrality proposals as a "pragmatic" approach.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:54 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
The full press releases are:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/e...-informal-deal

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release....htm?locale=en
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
So will this mean, assuming that everything goes according to plan, that starting June 2017, if I have a SIM from any network registered in the EU (does this include the UK?), then I can use it from anywhere in the EU to call/SMS anywhere in the EU, all with whatever the "local" rate is (or free if on an unlimited plan)?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by joshwex90
So will this mean, assuming that everything goes according to plan, that starting June 2017, if I have a SIM from any network registered in the EU (does this include the UK?), then I can use it from anywhere in the EU to call/SMS anywhere in the EU, all with whatever the "local" rate is (or free if on an unlimited plan)?
Generally, but abuses will be prevented.

However, there will be rules to prevent abuses of the new set-up. For example, if a user buys SIM card in another EU country where domestic prices are lower and then uses it at home. Or if a user permanently stays abroad with a domestic subscription from their home country. These instances are “permanent roaming” and could impact domestic markets negatively, said the commission.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Problem is that those fees will need to be made up somewhere else. Most likely in the basic rates. This means that those who are "power users" of roaming will likely save, while the average user who either never roams or roams rarely, will see a hefty increase.

Sort of like the German decision to require the sale of tickets which permit the use of segments out-of-order. Sure, the tickets are available, but they are far from a bargain.

What remains to be seen is how the consumer does.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Problem is that those fees will need to be made up somewhere else. Most likely in the basic rates. This means that those who are "power users" of roaming will likely save, while the average user who either never roams or roams rarely, will see a hefty increase.

Sort of like the German decision to require the sale of tickets which permit the use of segments out-of-order. Sure, the tickets are available, but they are far from a bargain.

What remains to be seen is how the consumer does.
I don't think so. Competition has done an excellent job of keeping the rates down. If the operators had the ability to raise their rates significantly and keep customers they would have done that long ago. This is why communications services in Europe are a whole lot cheaper than the US which has much less competition.

I've had unlimited phone roaming in Europe for a couple of years now. But I buy one of the most expensive plans and quadruple play. Yet my quadruple play still costs less than the cell phone only plans of my US colleagues.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have no doubt that we will see some rate increases at the bottom end of the scale but I suspect that they will be very limited for normal contract customers.

When 3 introduced roaming abroad as an included service a couple of years ago (I was incredibly lucky - I'd just signed up with them because they offered a significantly cheaper package, and then this came along allowing me to use my phone extensively in the USA for no cost), I noticed that they followed it up with across the board rate increases (disguised, for sure, but they no longer offer the bargains) so that they are now one of the more expensive of the operators.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:43 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
lhrsfo is right. I can't see Three UK continuing to offer it's 3p/min, 2p/text & 1p/MB deal on prepaid any more if it has to charge these same prices throughout the EU. Also with prepaid it's very easy to switch providers every month or two whenever one reaches the roaming fair usage limit. Of course, we don't yet know the periods over which these fair usage limits will be applied, but the principle is the same.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:43 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
YAY!
That would make traveling so much easier in the EU.
I don't see them changing the prices in Poland as there are so many competitors and all of them offer very similar rates. I could see them enforcing this kinda like Tmobile USA does with their unlimited roaming in which you need to be local for a certain amount of time between roaming (I think its 2 weeks roaming or so for 2 weeks at home?) which would prevent those buying up SIMs in other countries.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:53 am

It's about time
Roaming has become incredibly cheap for mobile providers, but at least in Germany price's won't go down. Maybe because of 2-year contract structure
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bigger deal is that this is all tied to Net Neutrality. So the operators won't be able to prioritize certain Internet flows over others.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

It is tied with that. EU ISPs can prioritize certain services, such as Internet TV.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
It is tied with that. EU ISPs can prioritize certain services, such as Internet TV.
You sure about that? Right now they prioritize ADSL and fiber optic TV at the ATM layer. So it's not Internet TV. And I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to prioritize IP streaming, Youtube, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.