Wiki Posts
Search

tablet (primarily) for young child

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue
tablet (primarily) for young child

Sorry for yet another 'which tablet?' thread.

By way of background, I've never wanted or felt the need for a tablet. I use my laptop (vaio z) a lot when I travel, including work for which I need a really good keyboard, and I love my smartphone (galaxy S2) -- which is fine for a day-trip. I don't like paying for apps/content -- and as far as I could tell, almost all tablet use was for a little browsing, but mostly for watching movies/ playing games/ reading the NYT -- most of which cost extra!

However, my daughter is nearly 4 and I'm thinking that despite on the surface (no pun intended) it appearing gimmicky, there do appear some cool educational apps out there. I'm not too familiar with what's available, but mostly looking at basic literacy (she's trilingual, but only started the very basics of reading), numeracy etc. It might also double as an in-flight entertainment provider for her (although currently she's content watching 'Lady & the Tramp' back to back four times!).

A secondary use would be for general browsing/ fb for my wife when we travel - she hates travelling with a laptop. My wife has an iPhone (the only apple product we own), but is not wed to the ecosystem (I bought it because it looked/is beautiful but I didn't want to use one myself!).

Major criteria that I've identified are:
- Price (don't want to shell out $600 for an iPad -- looking around $200- $250 mark or so - that would buy a lot of books)

- educational app availability (again, preferably low/no-cost, which would push me towards Android, but quality is important here).

- robustness -- my daughter, even now, has an amazing capacity for destruction - she likes to explores the physical limits of most objects (including me!)

Something I have no idea about and would appreciate input is the 7" vs 10" form factor. I've only briefly played with the original sized tablets, and that feels intuitively as a nice size. The smaller size would be fine for adult use, but would love feedback as to what children appear to prefer -- not just for one-time use, but to keep them engaged.

thanks!

tb
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I just bought a tablet for exactly that purpose, but for a 2-year-old. In the end, I bought the second-cheapest 7" Android tablet I could find (yet still was running 4.0) because of two things:
a. If it breaks, we just broke a cheap tablet and not an expensive one.
b. It's for running a few games, not much more. Maybe hangouts if MrsBarn uses it when travelling.

In the end I got an off-brand Prestigio PMP3570C which is worth every cent of the roughly USD$100 I paid for it. First reactions were:
1. The screen resolution and sensitivity are definitely not Nexus 7 standard and a 2-year-old can tell.
2. It is noticeably slower, but not unuseable. Just... slower.
3. It is much more fragile than a more expensive tablet. This is NOT Gorilla Glass. GET A CASE. (and, of course, it got dropped and cracked. waiting on repair now).
4. The battery life and brightness are fine for indoor/aircraft. Good enough. Charges via included charger OR microUSB.
5. It's got a microSD slot, easily accessible, very nice.
6. Speakers aren't great and while it can play HD content, it struggles and isn't watchable when streaming over DLNA, unlike the Nexus.

If this is to be a tablet for a kid who will use it heavily, the screen thing may be an issue. But if this is a tablet for a kid who has never used one before and you will be in the position to upgrade it soon, then I'd get a cheap one.

As for size: I really like the 7" factor and find that for small hands it's just easier to hold. It's also easy to throw in a pocket or a diaper bag (or child's backpack) and take with you. If I had a 5"+ phone then maybe I'd go for the 10" but right now the 7" comes with me almost everywhere.

As for games: I also don't know the child in question, but I've found that the most popular game we've got is Puzzingo. It may be a bit young (keep in mind I'm basing this off the recommendation of a 2-year-old) but it's cool nonetheless. Few free maps, buy loads of others for not that much. I like it and would easily recommend it. All the other kids' games I have, though, are certainly too young. Mostly alphabet/numbers games.

But for not-necessarily-kids' games, Little Things Forever is sort of a "where's waldo" scavenger hunt that can get pretty intense some times. Might be a bit old, but you could play it together.

I'm just waiting for the day that I can get my kid hooked on Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride.

On the other hand, if your daughter likes My Little Pony, the Android game is of VERY high quality. Right down to how they got all the voice actors back to do loads of in-game dialogue. Just make sure to restrict down the rights of the game so it's not constantly annoying you with notifications and online connections. But overall I'd recommend it and that's probably saying far too much.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for such a comprehensive response DJ Bitterbarn!

The Nexus 7 looks good, and good to know you've found a lot of decent Android apps. I don't think lack of SD card will be an issue, but don't know, tbh!

Any other parents care to chime in?

tb
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I should probably clarify something, we got the cheap tablet because I didn't want my Nexus getting broken. But I guess one could consider the Nexus 7 a cheap tablet as well. And if that's the case, then I very highly recommend it. Yes, there's no SD card which is more or less the biggest thing, but I've been lucky enough to not need it.

And, more importantly, Barn the Younger also recommends it and actively preferred the Nexus 7 over the Prestigio.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
My niece is now 3, but has been playing with an ipad since she was about 2 without problems.

She used to play with my old iPad 1, but is happier with her iPad mini (or my Dad's HTC one) - they're a better fit for small hands.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:29 pm

My boy is three years old. I picked up the iPad mini for him and the 7" form factor works very well. He is also trilingual so using this to help with his English has been very useful.
The unit is 16 GB which has been plenty for us. Every couple months we change the movies to the flavor of the month which keeps him amused on long flights (12 - 14 hours ).
Value for money most reviews list the Nexus 7 as the tablet of choice. What ever tablet you choose, a good quality cover and screen protector is essential. Even when my boy is trying to be careful the tablet gets it freefalling time.

Last edited by Free Falling; Jun 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: AP, MP
Get a cheapo Android from China sub $100. Chances are ot won't last long. Good starting point

My friend got one for his 7 yrs old boy, and he cracked the screen in a couple of months. People who spend $600-700 on tablets for their kids should be examined IMHO.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, US Airways, United, American, Delta
For a kid, I would try to find something used. I know I gave someone my original ipad free (basic model w/wifi only), and sold my ipad 2 to someone for 150 a few months ago. I am sure folks are selling android devices as well as the new ones come out. Talk to those friends that have to have the latest and greatest and see if you can get a used one, especially for a young one. Then tell them you will give them $100 for the old device if they go buy a new one if they are teetering on the edge of getting a new one.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Kindle Fire coupled with Amazon's Freetime

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/a...ime-unlimited/
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ohliuw
Get a cheapo Android from China sub $100. Chances are ot won't last long. Good starting point

My friend got one for his 7 yrs old boy, and he cracked the screen in a couple of months. People who spend $600-700 on tablets for their kids should be examined IMHO.
Agree that $600 tablet for a kid is overkill, but too cheap a device, and it's more breakable, ironically. I'd rather spend $200 and it last twice as long (admittedly no guarantee that it will). Also, lack of google play on Chinese tablets is an issue for a non-techie like me.

Originally Posted by ibecowtippin
For a kid, I would try to find something used. I know I gave someone my original ipad free (basic model w/wifi only), and sold my ipad 2 to someone for 150 a few months ago. I am sure folks are selling android devices as well as the new ones come out. Talk to those friends that have to have the latest and greatest and see if you can get a used one, especially for a young one. Then tell them you will give them $100 for the old device if they go buy a new one if they are teetering on the edge of getting a new one.
Used market here in Beijing is not so great -- lots of rich (unlike us!) ex-pats and Chinese who don't do the whole second hand thing.

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Kindle Fire coupled with Amazon's Freetime

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/a...ime-unlimited/
As stated in my OP, I'm really anti this whole subscription model thing -- I know that's the business model, but I'd like to resist if possible.

Originally Posted by Free Falling
My boy is three years old. I picked up the iPad mini for him and the 7" form factor works very well. He is also trilingual so using this to help with his English has been very useful.
The unit is 16 GB which has been plenty for us. Every couple months we change the movies to the flavor of the month which keeps him amused on long flights (12 - 14 hours ).
Value for money most reviews list the Nexus 7 as the tablet of choice. What ever tablet you choose, a good quality cover and screen protector is essential. Even when my boy is trying to be careful the tablet gets it freefalling time.
Thanks. The 7" form factor seems to be the one to go for from all the replies, so that's really helpful. Have you got any apps you want to recommend?

Looks like the nexus 7 (despite lack of SD slot) might be the one to go for...

tb
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I don't see the need for such a small child to have a tablet.

At that age they need human contact and interaction - there's not the value in "educational" software, IMHO.

Kids can only really take advantage of these devices when they can read and follow instructions themselves. Otherwise, you need to do the parent thing and amuse them with toys, games and other activities to stimulate them.

I held out until my son was seven before getting a tablet - the age when he can read and is computer literate to some extent.

Victorian Dad.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I don't see the need for such a small child to have a tablet.

At that age they need human contact and interaction - there's not the value in "educational" software, IMHO.

Kids can only really take advantage of these devices when they can read and follow instructions themselves. Otherwise, you need to do the parent thing and amuse them with toys, games and other activities to stimulate them.

I held out until my son was seven before getting a tablet - the age when he can read and is computer literate to some extent.

Victorian Dad.
Thanks, and I have very much felt this way until very recently. However, my daughter is in a Chinese kindergarten -- which is superb -- and we all love her being there. But it does mean she doesn't get exposed to much English -- given that even at home, I'm the only one who speaks English with her. Given all that, she speaks English fairly well (albeit with a Disney twang!). She has started to learn to read -- can put a few 3-4 letter words together, but in all honesty, I can't spend too much time with her on it. My wife spends a lot more time with her, but is also teaching her another language on top of it all.

My daughter is not lacking in human interaction -- she's rather too boisterous if anything! I see her less than her mum, but that's fairly normal, I think, and most week-ends I try to spend a good chunk of time with the family, and several nights a week, I am home for dinner, and then work (and FT!) after she's gone to bed.

I _believe_, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are fun ways to read type apps out there -- and although no substitution for sitting down with her for an hour a day, I really will never sit down with her for an hour a day to practice reading. I don't want her to become a tech junkie, so the tablet would be for treats if she's good -- perhaps instead of the DVDs she currently watches once or twice a week.

It's a good reminder, however, and I appreciate it.

tb

PS btw, have we had a similar conversation on FT about this before, there is a distinct sense of deja-vu!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by trueblu
As stated in my OP, I'm really anti this whole subscription model thing -- I know that's the business model, but I'd like to resist if possible.
The subscription isn't mandatory. Its just available to give you all you can eat access to games and content. You can go ala carte if you'd like.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:08 pm

My sister just asked about the Nabi Jr tablet for her 2-year old daughter. My sister has no home computer or internet (not even dial-up), just an iPhone to share photos with the grandmother. I had to help them set up the family plan, these are their first smartphones, so neither of them are tech-savvy.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, and the advantages I can see for this tablet are durability (hopefully) and simplicity. For the price, I'd rather give her my old Nexus 7 with a beefy case, and buy myself a new one (with more storage). Since they don't have wifi, there is no danger of her accidentally spending money for apps or in-game (she wouldn't know anything about tethering). It's not like they would be able to download new apps to the kiddy tablet without wifi, same as if they had a Nexus 7.

Before I send it over, I can load it with a variety of apps and media to keep her entertained. With the remote download feature, I could send apps to the device for whenever she gets in wifi-range (library, coffee shop, etc.) I might be able to troubleshoot it over the phone, unlike an unfamiliar kid-oriented device.

Do you have other suggestions about why it would be better to stick with a kid-targeted tablet or more reasons to help me convince them that it would be better to give them my old Nexus?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The Nook HD+ is $149 this weekend, a great price on a pretty capable little tablet.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jun 14, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.