Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QuietComfort® 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones vs B&O earphones

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by tentseller
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

How do these compare to comparably priced non-NC earphones from say Shure or Etymotic? Thanks.
Sound quality my Shure 425 that I use for general at home listening and in ear monitoring when I am playing beats the QC20i.

Long wearing comfort (I sleep on my side)and NC is where the BOSE excel.

I use the QC20i for flights.
Thanks. I should have been more specific. I am thinking specifically for flights. I have full size over the ear Sennheisers for at home use.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Thanks. I should have been more specific. I am thinking specifically for flights. I have full size over the ear Sennheisers for at home use.
For flights you just can't beat the latest generation of BOSE NC at the consumer level. All the plane noise is reduced to a level that enable me to sleep. I can still hear conversations and unfortunately human crying and screaming.
The in ear design of the QC20 enable me to use them for sleep which over their ear would not work.
During in-flight sleeping I am listening to relax tunes which are not taxing the audio quality of the QC20i.

I still have my old trusty Sennheiser in my home by the OSIM massage chair, Shure in my gig kit bag, BOSE in my flight kit.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by sdtrav
Hey everyone
So after thinking about it for a few weeks now and spending yesterday reading all types of reviews and this entire thread i thought i would try them out.
The store i went to was out of stock unfortunately Take about 3-4 days to get them in

But while i was there i was able to sample the QC3's & QF15's
A few things i noted with these ones. With no music or anything playing all the background noise was gone but i could clearly hear conversations going on around me (some sales guy telling some dude to buy a lenovo tablet rather than a samsung).

Another thing i noted was that the sound wasnt that great. I plugged them into my phone and turned the volume right up but it wasnt all that loud.

What are peoples experiences with the above with the QC20's?
ie sound volume and still hearing conversations clear as day.
I had a pair of the QC20i's (fell out of my bag at DFW late one night). I loved how small they are and they drowned out constant background noise. The ok was the fitting, my ears were slightly sore after wearing for an our or so. The bad - while most was blocked, it always seemed a voice or two was actually accentuated. I have not replaced the earbuds, instead I have purchased foam earplugs and a cheap pair of ear buds.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
QC20's made all the difference on BA's noisy old planes to and especially from SFO earlier this month. Don't think I've been on any aircraft so noisy for about 20 years. Due to their positioning almost inside the ear they're the only Bose NC's I've managed to sleep in on a plane.

For overall noise cancellation, though, I still prefer the QC15's. I've kept mine as well as the QC20's as they have different uses.

And I'm sure the Shure 525 or other Shure is probably the way to go if sound quality is more important for you than NC.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Can you put custom fitted earpieces on them? Thanks.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
The Bose 20's grew on me a little the past couple flights. Still returning them, but just to try the Shure 415's (the dual driver ones). Same price and I'll decide which ones I like better and go with it.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Can you put custom fitted earpieces on them? Thanks.
If that can be done please post who does it. I think the 20's with a better fit would be great. Noise canceling + isolation.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:23 pm

I just had to add an illustrative story. I just got off the plane in MIA and went to La Carreta for a bite. Great food but busy and noisy. I faintly heard a song in the background I couldn't make out so I put on my QC20's, it knocked out the din and I could clearly hear Anita Baker singing "Sweet Love" and the AA FA's at the next table discussing their bid sheets.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
These are indeed great headphones the QC20i. The only 'issue' I have with them is the excessive white noise it pumps out compared to my QC3 especially when you are in a relatively quiet place. But if you have nothing to compare the qc20's with, you may not notice the white noise I am referring to.
Old May 24, 2014, 3:33 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Follow up: I bought my QC20 back at the end of August. Absolutely noise cancellation-wise as it performed fantastically on a handful of 5+ hour flights, a 6 hour bus ride, and occasional use at Sbux (they're really noisy!)

Downside: One of the cables is already frayed inside the sheathing. If I wiggle the shorter cable from the device to the plug, the audio in the left earbud cuts in and out.

I guess I'll be learning about Bose's warranty handling process as soon as I have some free time...
Old May 25, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by dtc
Follow up: I bought my QC20 back at the end of August. Absolutely noise cancellation-wise as it performed fantastically on a handful of 5+ hour flights, a 6 hour bus ride, and occasional use at Sbux (they're really noisy!)

Downside: One of the cables is already frayed inside the sheathing. If I wiggle the shorter cable from the device to the plug, the audio in the left earbud cuts in and out.

I guess I'll be learning about Bose's warranty handling process as soon as I have some free time...
Out of warranty? IF it's still under warranty, they should just exchange for new one
Old May 31, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by JMN57
If that can be done please post who does it. I think the 20's with a better fit would be great. Noise canceling + isolation.
X2
Old May 31, 2014, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Based in the UK and looking at picking these up - the wife has the QC15 and I use these often when travelling (plane/train). The OHs parents are out in the US now and plan to pick up the QC15 and I've got an order in for the QC20i - fairly big saving even if just shopping at BestBuy.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by FastSRT8
Out of warranty? IF it's still under warranty, they should just exchange for new one
They only started shipping them late last July/early August so all are in warranty. I called warranty on a pair with fraying wires and they said send them in. I asked if a store would do the exchange (so I wouldn't have to do without) and they said check. Called the NY Soho store, the manager said yes, I went straight there before they closed and they swapped them out - no receipt (I'd used Amex MR points for them) as the manager said they had to be in warranty.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:31 pm
Suspended

My QC20i's arrived today - thanks to the in-laws returning back from their vacation. Picked them up cheaply compared to buying here in the UK. I will have to wait until Monday to test them during travel (train) but so far i've found them to be much better than expected (and i had high expectations).

Getting the correct fit is critical - an important point to note if trying them out in-store.

I was expecting the soft travel case to be smaller based on some concerns mentioned here but it seems fine. I am pleased to see a charge cable included - the smaller size mean it will replace my usual ones given it will also charge the blackberry and Kindle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.