Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

FreedomPop to Offer Mobile Phone Service in US

Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG

FreedomPop is getting into the ultra-low-cost mobile phone market.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1276867/

The company best known for doling out 500MB of free mobile data per month to hotspots, iPods and home routers will step up its game later this summer with a free phone service for Android users... with a few caveats, that is. To get by on the cheap, you'll need to make do with a relatively scant 200 voice minutes and 500MB of mobile data in order to avoid overage fees, but to FreedomPop's credit, it'll include unlimited texting as part of the mix. What's more, if you happen to go over your minute allotment, you'll be charged a rather reasonable $9.99, which brings unlimited voice to the table. As you might've suspected, data overages are the biggest caveat to FreedomPop's service, which can cost between $10 and $20 per gigabyte.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many megabytes does a 10 minute VOIP call consume?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Good question! A smart strategy might be (if possible) to turn off 3G/4G in the Settings menu before making a phone call, in order to push it onto the (expensive) Sprint cellphone frequencies.

UPDATE: An article in Forbes says that voice calls will not count against your data allotment.

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Jun 6, 2013 at 6:45 am
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Anywhere from 1.5-8Mb, depending on the codec being used.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
Anywhere from 1.5-8Mb, depending on the codec being used.
Can I install the codec that consumes 1.5Mb on my rooted, S-off HTC Amaze 4g?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
I have a very hard time taking them seriously when their site will not let me view without surrendering my email address.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rybob1
I have a very hard time taking them seriously when their site will not let me view without surrendering my email address.
That is a legitimate issue. They should have at least a visible FAQ.

When I entered my email address (to be notified when the service becomes available), I don't recall seeing any other pages.

I use a Republic Wireless phone, which also uses Sprint frequencies and costs only $22/month a/i for unlimited everything. Switching to FreedomPop's "free" service is a step that I'm unlikely to take, unless they permit tethering.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
FreedomPop should really be called a data-only service, since VoIP isn't real phone service after all (and dosen't perform to that standard, however low it might be in America).

It's far better to think of it as free Sprint data, and depending on your device it's up to LTE or "4G" Wi-MAX speeds (the latter of which will shut down in 2015 since no one bought into Wi-MAX). I use one of each, in a phone and with a hotspot, and Sprint in Hawaii is actually worse then T-Mobile in most places.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:29 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I had the phone since Dec 2013 and it really got better the past few months.
Before I would constantly get dropped calls, but recently I can call fine on just 3G.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
There is a groupon for this:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-free...samsung-galaxy

Anyone have more experiences? Thinking of getting one just for the phone.

Last edited by UA Fan; Sep 24, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you're thinking about this for use as a primary phone, I think I'd strongly consider Republic instead. FP is VoIP only while Republic uses cellular for voice when not on WiFi. I'd also be much more interested in an Moto E or Moto G at the same price points as the Groupon for the Galaxy S2 or S3 (Moto X vs Galaxy S4 is a wash to me a purely personal preference).

I think the only way I'd really consider FP is if I already had a Sprint LTE device on their BYOD list, and even then I don't think I'd be using it as my primary line of service. There are so many other Prepaid operators in the $25-$50/month price range to risk using something as flaky as FP for free.

The few scenarios I can see as possible exceptions would be an EXTREMELY low user who also lives in a metro area with established acceptable Sprint coverage that rarely, if ever, travels outside of that metro area... I'm thinking elderly, teen/tween (with the unlimited texting option), or metro-bound traveler from abroad (who might be able to make due with a full month's data/voice allowance consumed over a week's stay).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I think the only way I'd really consider FP is if I already had a Sprint LTE device on their BYOD list, and even then I don't think I'd be using it as my primary line of service. There are so many other Prepaid operators in the $25-$50/month price range to risk using something as flaky as FP for free.
I was really skeptical of FP at first too. I now have one hotspot for myself and one for that aging relative you mentioned! But I have found the service to be highly reliable, not flaky at all. After all you're just using the Sprint network, with the MVNO's branding. And their pricing scheme is actually pretty reasonable. I pay $4 for 500 MB/ month and around $10 / month for the aging relative's 800 MB / month. I could do 500 MB for free, but I want them to make something off me.

Buying service from Freedom Pop is like flying Ryan Air. It works just fine if you figure out how to avoid all of the optional charges they shovel your way. Upgrade to this better plan today! You're about to lose some data! You're using too much data and need a new plan! etc. etc.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I was mainly referring to the VoIP app on the FP voice service being flaky... hot-spot functionality kinda is what it is as long as the coverage works for you, but I haven't personally needed a stand-alone hot spot in several years thanks to Android hot-spot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.