Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Thanks for the report. An anxiety-prone friend calls me with his Toggle SIM every ninety days to make double sure it stays alive. I use my two cards every hundred and twenty days and save 6p per year. Toggle's terms provide you thirty days' grace after the initial ninety days expire.

You can buy a punch very cheaply to cut your card down to nano size.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Thanks for the report. An anxiety-prone friend calls me with his Toggle SIM every ninety days to make double sure it stays alive. I use my two cards every hundred and twenty days and save 6p per year. Toggle's terms provide you thirty days' grace after the initial ninety days expire.

trying to keep my toggle sim the same way
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:40 am

The problem is that you'll eventually max out on the number of countries on your SIM. Will your Toggle expire if you keep paying the 6p per year for a virtual number. As a Yank, the 6p is a no brainer since I want a permanent US number.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
The problem is that you'll eventually max out on the number of countries on your SIM. Will your Toggle expire if you keep paying the 6p per year for a virtual number. As a Yank, the 6p is a no brainer since I want a permanent US number.
The 6p is how much I save each year by making a call from each of my two SIMs every 120 days (or a little less) rather than every ninety. My schedule means I only make about three calls a year each per SIM, totaling Ł0.09, rather than the four for Ł0.12 that a ninety-day schedule would require.

Using your SIMs once every 120 days prevents them from expiring. Toggle charges Ł5/year to guarantee that you can keep the same local number; the UK number never changes. I don't pay the Ł5 but they haven't changed my US number for the last two years or so.

You have to use the SIM at least once every 120 days whether or not you pay the Ł5/year to keep your US number.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:03 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
hmm. Well I pay the 5GBP/year for my PL, NO, and USA number. Even with that costs, its worth while. I probably use it an average of 12hrs/month for free calling.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by jason8612
hmm. Well I pay the 5GBP/year for my PL, NO, and USA number. Even with that costs, its worth while.
Me too for my US and Swiss numbers.

I've found some unannounced price 'enhancements'. Examples using local numbers: UK>UK and Swiss>UK voice calls are now 7p/minute - but UK>Swiss and Swiss>Swiss landlines are still 3p/minute.

To/from/within South Africa are still ludicrously expensive, unfortunately.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:04 am

Fair enough and thankyou for the tip on the sim cutter.

I do the 90 day thing because my O2 (UK) sim needs use every 180 days (6 months) so in this way every second time I do Toggle, I do O2 as well.

The easiest way I find is to just send myself a text, which costs 5p on Toggle.

I made sure when I last left the UK I had enough credit to keep it alive until I was back again because it seemed like the only way to recharge a small amount (like Ł5) was with a voucher from a shop.

I don't have the need to keep Toggle country numbers active apart from the UK number itself.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by gsydney
The easiest way I find is to just send myself a text, which costs 5p on Toggle.

I made sure when I last left the UK I had enough credit to keep it alive until I was back again because it seemed like the only way to recharge a small amount (like Ł5) was with a voucher from a shop.
Calling a US phone from your Toggle phone is slightly cheaper at just 3p for the first minute.

I found it impossible to recharge my SIMs with US credit cards, which were "randomly declined" by Toggle's system (which never submitted the changes to my bank) each time I tried to use them. But it was easy to top up on line with PayPal.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:42 am

Using your SIMs once every 120 days prevents them from expiring. Toggle charges Ł5/year to guarantee that you can keep the same local number; the UK number never changes. I don't pay the Ł5 but they haven't changed my US number for the last two years or so.

You have to use the SIM at least once every 120 days whether or not you pay the Ł5/year to keep your US number.
Update: today was the day for me to use my Toggle SIMs. This time they both received new phone numbers. Once again the texts I received quoted the wrong charge for US calls as Ł0.09/min; my calls were charged at Ł0.03/min as usual.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:00 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:12 am

I found it impossible to recharge my SIMs with US credit cards, which were "randomly declined" by Toggle's system (which never submitted the changes to my bank) each time I tried to use them. But it was easy to top up on line with PayPal.
Thankyou, yes I noticed they now permit online top up by PayPal, although the minimum seems to be Ł20.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Just to say again that Toggle do not have a nano-SIM, here is the response I got to them when inquiring about a nano-SIM for my new phone:

We apologize that currently we offer only Normal/micro SIM cards on our website and we do understand that your phone fits a Nano SIM card hence we request you to resize the SIM card without damaging the Chip part (using proper cutting tool such as a SIM card cutter). Please note that if you happen to damage the SIM card, we would not be able to help you with a replacement as the offer that we had for fee SIM card has expired.
Certainly I am less than impressed with this aspect of their operation. And I am certainly not paying for a SIM if I bugger it up.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Just to say again that Toggle do not have a nano-SIM, here is the response I got to them when inquiring about a nano-SIM for my new phone:

Certainly I am less than impressed with this aspect of their operation. And I am certainly not paying for a SIM if I bugger it up.
I've had a couple mini to nano conversions, all have gone perfectly fine. Just get the layout online and lay the mini-sim down and tape it down and cut with a good pair of scissors.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I've had a couple mini to nano conversions, all have gone perfectly fine. Just get the layout online and lay the mini-sim down and tape it down and cut with a good pair of scissors.
or buy a SIM card cutter online like on Amazon
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
or buy a SIM card cutter online like on Amazon
but I would suggest going above the 2.99-3.99 models and getting the better 10$ korean models, less chances of a bad cut (from some of the Chinese models - I'm not making a culture comment here, just about materials quality)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
or take it to a local cell shop. they probably got a cutter there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.