Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I agree that their not the best company to deal with, but toggle mobile product is very much unique and saves me tons of money as I have several local numbers that people can call me at and incoming calls are free in many countries. I use a dual sim cheap Moto G and one of the sims is Toggle (voice only)
Trust me, I think Toggle is a great product, and I do similar to what you do.

Funnily enough, unless I can sort the storage out on my Acer 370 Dual SIM, I might go to the Moto G. 3G is fine for me as I am not a heavy user of data, but the only thing I don't like is there is no battery pull "feature" - and I have found that valuable in the past on many phones. Have you had any issues with the Moto G ?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
From the page linked to above: "To cancel the auto-renewal please dial *190#." I put reminders for that sort of thing on my phone's calendar.

I'd say this is aimed at ongoing rather than occasional customers, but I agree it would be nice to have a one-time bundle available.

Also, unless you also set up automatic top-ups, the auto-renew would presumably stop once you run out of credit.
I use giffgaff and their goodybag concept suits me perfectly. Easy to renew, easy to auto-renew, easy to cancel. I just have this thing about having to set reminders, etc, so I don't give people money by accident. Plus I think they dine out on that too so I just don't like it. Each to their own !
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Has anyone adding a foreign SIM number to their UK SIM? It would appear one can add say a french number to a UK sim, for FREE for 30 days? then, all the economy of calling and such is enabled, as is this new data plan stuff. That would be a pretty nice roaming card if all that works as indicated.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Has anyone adding a foreign SIM number to their UK SIM? It would appear one can add say a french number to a UK sim, for FREE for 30 days? then, all the economy of calling and such is enabled, as is this new data plan stuff. That would be a pretty nice roaming card if all that works as indicated.
You can add local numbers in up to nine Toggle countries to one SIM. These numbers will then ring your phone. By default, local numbers are free and expire in 30 days, but you can pay Ł5/year to make them permanent.

When you're in a country for which you've activated a local number, calls from your phone will be at the lower Toggle country rate rather than the roaming rate. I've done it from France and the US and a friend who bought a Toggle SIM on my qualified advice used it successfully in Switzerland, Germany and, I think, Spain.

My recommendation was lukewarm because Toggle is a very difficult company to work with. The phone is supposed to switch automatically to each country as you enter it, but that feature doesn't always work. There's a simple workaround (you select the current "roaming profile" from the SIM menu).
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Trust me, I think Toggle is a great product, and I do similar to what you do.

Funnily enough, unless I can sort the storage out on my Acer 370 Dual SIM, I might go to the Moto G. 3G is fine for me as I am not a heavy user of data, but the only thing I don't like is there is no battery pull "feature" - and I have found that valuable in the past on many phones. Have you had any issues with the Moto G ?
Moto G is by no means a perfect product. Used it recently with two SIMs. Most of the time it works fine, but on occasions I would get a black screen and it freezes. To solve, just need to power it off and back on. Once had to manually restart it by holding power and volume down for 20 sec and then re booting in normal mode. Online reports say that this is a know issue for Moto G dual sim and should be fixed with an upcoming software update. I was thinking on returning my Moto G, but decided to keep it as I love dual sim option.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I just went ahead and did this the other day, signed up for two new numbers. a french number and a USA number. Then, I signed up for the 2G plan for 30lb. (it's a TAD expensive, but not too much more than other prepaids).. and I tested it here in the USA. Numbers ring through, numbers go out at the lower rates, and DATA works here in the USA and doesn't decrement from any additional balance on the account.

I'm sending this phone with a friend to France later in the week, where she'll just use the phone, the French number, calling back to the USA direct dial and using the data. I'll confirm next week that all the usage fell under the one time pre-paid 2GB data bucket and french outbound calls to the USA went out under the 3p a minute rate.

Early next month, I'll try and use the same phone, same data package when in London for three days..

So, for a trip this like, crossing the countries for which one can get a "home" number, the plan makes A LOT of sense. and is pretty easy peasy.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:24 pm

This is a dumb question, but help me out anyway. My Toggle has a UK, French, and Spanish IMSI. Next month, I will be back in Spain and France (together with Portugal which isn't a Toggle country).

Do I need to get online and reregister the SIM for these countries or will it register once I log onto a French network.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
This is a dumb question, but help me out anyway. My Toggle has a UK, French, and Spanish IMSI. Next month, I will be back in Spain and France (together with Portugal which isn't a Toggle country).

Do I need to get online and reregister the SIM for these countries or will it register once I log onto a French network.
If your local number is still active, it should be automatic. If not, then just register a local number before your trip. However lately I have noticed if I ever registered a local number for a country, once I'm there I get an sms that a new local number assigned and I will be charged toggle local country rates.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:51 pm

Thanks and yuck. I would like to be able to claim a number a few days before the trip and distribute it in the week before I get there.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Thanks and yuck. I would like to be able to claim a number a few days before the trip and distribute it in the week before I get there.
You can still do that online
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
If your local number is still active, it should be automatic. If not, then just register a local number before your trip. However lately I have noticed if I ever registered a local number for a country, once I'm there I get an sms that a new local number assigned and I will be charged toggle local country rates.
I've been keeping my two Toggle SIMs alive by registering a local number and making a Ł0.03 call from each of them every 16 weeks. (You have to spend credit at least once every 120 days or you lose the account. Sixteen weeks is 112 days, but I give myself an extra week's leeway.) The last time I did this was just last week. I registered one of the SIMs, but was surprised to find that the other one reactivated itself. But of them got the same US numbers as they received 16 weeks earlier.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And is this a change? When I go to view my topup history I can only select 1 month as the maximum? I thought we were able to go back further than that.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:29 am

And is this a change? When I go to view my topup history I can only select 1 month as the maximum? I thought we were able to go back further than that.
There's a bug on the top-up history page, at least with Google Chrome. You can choose "Select the Period" from the drop-down, but there's no way to actually specify the period you want.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
There's a bug on the top-up history page, at least with Google Chrome. You can choose "Select the Period" from the drop-down, but there's no way to actually specify the period you want.
I use FF and I could select 3 periods but up to a month max.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 am

I use FF and I could select 3 periods but up to a month max.
Argh, I was reading the drop-down wrong. There's no excuse for this as I'm a software developer myself. "Select the Period" is the default option, not a request to enter your own range of dates. Toggle should disable the "Submit" button when no period is selected.

Last edited by ajGoes; Aug 20, 2014 at 11:54 am Reason: To correct my misreading of the drop-down I was writing about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.