Prepaid SIM - Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Do they have wired internet?

If so, it may just be easier to buy a wireless internet router and find another way to do phone calls when you are not at the house.

And many hospitals in US provide wireless internet, so I suspect they do in Canada as well @:-)

Oh, and sorry for your hospitalized relatives, never fun
Most hospitals in Canada charge for Wifi (both patients and visitors) and the charges can run $10/day through $40/week - it's an option, but an expensive one.

Since I was just in the very same boat, here is what I did:

1. Phone - I have a Fido prepaid account. I add 1GB of data for $30, renewing it as needed once I've used it up. I have the $1/day plan with free incoming calls and route my Google Voice number to my Fido number via Localphone.com whose service I also use for rather clumsy and time-consuming method to make outgoing calls expected to last more than a minute.

2. Laptop - I have a internet stick from Wind Mobile that gives me 10GB for $35 plus the cost of the stick. It needs to be refreshed every 90 days or you end up spending another $25 on a SIM card to renew the service...and no matter what image you might expect from a company called "wind", the internet speed is barely a breeze.

No matter how you cut it, Internet access in Canada for mobile devices is a huge overpriced scam and increased competition has done little to put this market's pricing on par with the US, or offer visitors anything close to what we can find in Asia or European countries.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Someone needs to do a northbound version of "Roam Mobility." Vodafone Italy seems to be the best roaming deal for Canada at 3 euros a day for 500 megs and half an hour of talk time in and a seperate half hour outbound.
Just got back from Vancouver/Whistler this past weekend and the Vodafone Italy SIM worked like a charm. 3G only but plenty fast to surf the web, use Google Maps, and other social media stuff. 3 euros/day seems like a bargain.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I'm heading to Canada in a few weeks. Montreal to be specific.

Looking for a SIM solution. My main need would be for data. Not to tether. But to use for maps and checking in and all that good stuff, along with keeping in touch with friends that will be there at the same time, but may not be with me all the time.

I saw Similicious. Seems to be a good option, as I would get the SIM mailed to me prior to traveling there. But the rates don't seem to be all that great for data. Another service was pointed out to me. Petro Canada Mobility. It looks like if I get a "monthly plan", I can get a decent amount of data (enough for my needs) and unlimited texts. I would have to get the SIM there. Seems like it's only available at the Petro Canada gas stations? Also, do top ups only work on line? Do I need a Canadian credit card or would a US based card work? Or can you buy top up vouchers locally in a shop, with cash if need be?

Any other suggestions welcomed too. Ideally, the setup is quick and painless and done shortly after arrival and can be accomplished without a Canadian issues credit card.

Thanks in advance
Old May 27, 2015, 5:13 am
Suspended

I can't speak if it have to be a CDN-issued card. But Petro gas station will accept cash just fine.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
...Another service was pointed out to me. Petro Canada Mobility. It looks like if I get a "monthly plan", I can get a decent amount of data (enough for my needs) and unlimited texts. I would have to get the SIM there. Seems like it's only available at the Petro Canada gas stations? Also, do top ups only work on line? Do I need a Canadian credit card or would a US based card work? Or can you buy top up vouchers locally in a shop, with cash if need be?

Thanks in advance
With Petro Canada, you can buy a SIM card and top up the account at any Petro Canada gas station. They take cash or any credit card, including US cards. It will cost $10 for the SIM card unless you purchase the SIM and at least $25 of airtime in which case the SIM card costs $5. You can topup online. The form allows for a US billing address but I have not tried using a US credit card. Petro Canada uses Rogers network, one of the biggest in Canada
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
OK.. Thanks. Seems like a good option, though I think the challenge for me is getting to one. I'll be in Montreal and my understanding is that they may not be convenient to getting to one when staying in the central area and without a car.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:51 pm

I am in need of a couple hundred mb in data for a few days, do not need voice for BC area.
I have found and confirmed w their customer service:

Bell: pay per use, 0 monthly fee, data is 10 per 100mb and 15c for overage. found sim card on ebay for couple bucks making the cost say 12. Using 200mb would hit me with a cost of $27 (15+12)

Roger, pay as you go. $0.75 monthly service fee, sim card is $10 (nothing cheap online), they have a top up of $15 for 250 mb of data. Overall cost is $26 for 250mb

Would any of the tablet only plans work on a cell phone? Any other options for data only plans?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:21 pm

I've used a Telus tablet SIM in an unlocked Android sim and it worked.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Similicious is a good deal if you can plan ahead of time to order and wait for delivery.

Petro Canada works well but is a bit of a pain. First, it only gets 3G not LTE. Second, customer service is a disaster. Topping up online is possible but it doesn't accept a non Canadian credit card (even though the site lets you enter in a non Canada billing address just fine). So to add credit you either have to buy in store or just use Amex and use your regular address but pick Canada as your country,which works fine. Their social plan is a good deal at $35 for a month with 1 GB of data.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:46 pm

Just as an update to this thread.

Bell --> free SIM at http://www.distribu-sim.ca/

After you receive this, install it in your compatible device, call Bell, and ask for it to be activated as a prepaid data pass service.

Once you do this, you can connect to the network, bring up a page, which will prompt you to enter credit card details. A 5gb plan for up to 30 days is $35. I think there's a $20 for 500mb plan as well.

They can be used in a phone, but you might run into some issues activating such as they ask you for the IMEI.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by pitz
A 5gb plan for up to 30 days is $35. I think there's a $20 for 500mb plan as well.
Are you sure about that ? Their website list 30$ for 1GB and 50$ for 2GB which is a robbery.

http://www.bell.ca/Mobilite/Forfaits...115_mb_prepaid
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by reivilo
Are you sure about that ? Their website list 30$ for 1GB and 50$ for 2GB which is a robbery.

All of the Canadian companies charge about the same for data, even with significant competition - the entire market up there is nothing short of highway robbery.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:03 pm

GoPhone Might be Best Deal

Getting a US based AT&T Gophone SIM might be the best deal for some.

Looks like for $60 you get 4 GB of "high-speed" data, but no voice minutes:

http://about.att.com/newsroom/att_go...g_borders.html
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by reivilo

These are the prepaid tablet passes. I've never been able to activate them without a Canadian credit, prepaid, or Visa Debit card, though.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Going to Boston, then Toronto 2 weeks in total. (Not long enough, I know...)

Seeing the T Mobile Simple Choice North America plan covers both countries, and we're arriving in the US first, does this seem like a reasonable idea to sign up for when we arrive?

Is the T Mobile coverage in Canada decent - I can't see which network they use when roaming - or is there a better prepaid/no contract option.

It's mostly data that I'll be using the SIM for, which is prohibitively expensive on my own UK Vodafone tariff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.