Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tmobile's new plans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Twenty dollars per month unlimited data? Don't hold your breath on that one.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Meh. The first one to drop the "unlimited calls" and "unlimited msg" BS and just do $20 a month for unlimited high speed data will be the biggest winner and people will change their habits drastically.
The question is, can they make money doing so? My guess is the costs will be closer to what the MVNOs area already charging ($40-$50/mo), and they can basically throw voice and text in for free with that.

Also note that the two carriers who still offer unlimited plans directly rather than through MVNOs will not do so on data-only devices.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by cordelli
Twenty dollars per month unlimited data? Don't hold your breath on that one.
My BB data plan is $20 unlimited 4G and my Android data plan is $20 for 5GB @ 4G and unlimited throttle after that.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by owflyer
My BB data plan is $20 unlimited 4G and my Android data plan is $20 for 5GB @ 4G and unlimited throttle after that.
Is that data-only, or on top of a voice plan? Voice plans seem to be subsidizing data these days.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
legacy

Originally Posted by nkedel
Is that data-only, or on top of a voice plan? Voice plans seem to be subsidizing data these days.
I think this is the legacy BB plan, I'm not sure one can still get it today, but owflyer will probably respond.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:38 pm

The T-mobile prepaid plan I use (the "Walmart" plan) is 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data (5GB at 4G speed) for just $30/month, and that includes taxes!

Works well for me. But I'm the kind of person that hates long calls on cell phones. I make my long family+friend calls from home.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
It is on top of a voice plan.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Given the new plans, if I already have a spare handset can I add an extra (5th) line to my account for $10/month for only the months I need it (when friends from overseas come)? In the past I was told I'd have to have such a line for two years -- even if I did nt take them up on their oh so kind offer of a discounted handset.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Given the new plans, if I already have a spare handset can I add an extra (5th) line to my account for $10/month for only the months I need it (when friends from overseas come)?
The new plans 'might' cannibalize some of their prepaid business, for exactly the reasons you give for getting your extra line. My son lands in a week or so to visit from overseas. Normally we'd get a prepaid for him; now we'll add a line for $10, he can use as much as he wants and when he leaves, we shut it down!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dtsm
The new plans 'might' cannibalize some of their prepaid business, for exactly the reasons you give for getting your extra line. My son lands in a week or so to visit from overseas. Normally we'd get a prepaid for him; now we'll add a line for $10, he can use as much as he wants and when he leaves, we shut it down!
That's what it seems like to me ... I called and asked and was told that to switch without a fee all of the phones in one's account need to have been at least 18 months into their 24 month contracts. As I've got about 10 months to go on two of the phones, they want $350 to move to the new plans so I'll wait. They say it will save me abut $35/month to make the move. The real question, that I forgot to ask, is what happens if I need to replace a handset on my current (old style) account before that 10 month period is up...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by drbobguy
The T-mobile prepaid plan I use (the "Walmart" plan) is 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data (5GB at 4G speed) for just $30/month, and that includes taxes!

Works well for me. But I'm the kind of person that hates long calls on cell phones. I make my long family+friend calls from home.
I think this is exactly what I'm looking for! ^

Same here, I could care less about voice calls; I currently have 500 min and rarely even use them anyway. Even going to 100 min is more than I need.

3 questions:

1. Do they allow you to move from a contract to a prepaid plan like you have?
2. Does prepaid allow international roaming (I travel abroad a lot so just in case, would like some access if some emergency arises)
3. Does prepaid allow you to have WiFi calling?

Last edited by kebosabi; Apr 11, 2013 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
Have they gotten rid of activation fees? In the past, on non-prepaid, if you didn't want your contract date to move up (if you did, these would usually be waived/rebated) you'd also pay about $35 to activate the line, and probably $10 for the SIM.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
1. Do they allow you to move from a contract to a prepaid plan like you have?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Straight Talk Prepaid (acting as an MVNO on T-Mobile's network), not the T-Mobile prepaid (which is pricier), but in either case I'm pretty sure the answer is "if you're out of contract, it's the same as porting your number to another carrier," and "if you're in-contract, you'll pay an ETF."

2. Does prepaid allow international roaming (I travel abroad a lot so just in case, would like some access if some emergency arises)
3. Does prepaid allow you to have WiFi calling?
Don't know for either, but it may also vary between T-Mobile's own offering, and their offering through Straight Talk as an MVNO.

I have an extra T-mobile prepaid SIM (I got it for a month to "test drive" the network before switching, and they recently offered me a "come back" free month of prepaid, that I've been using for tethering), and can check on the Wifi calling tonight.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:10 pm

Have they gotten rid of activation fees? In the past, on non-prepaid, if you didn't want your contract date to move up (if you did, these would usually be waived/rebated) you'd also pay about $35 to activate the line, and probably $10 for the sim.
I'm going to TMO store this weekend and will report back....
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
These are useless to me if I can't hook up my iPhone.

In general I could care less about contract term, I just want the lowest price for a small nationwide FAMILY data plan. Unfortunately that only leaves Virgin, and i would have to buy a new phone.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: most of them

Having been with Sprint, and given up (their "4G Wimax" was only ever as fast as the AT&T 3G was when I first got it in 2010, and it never got any faster, nor did the roll-out of EVDO-rev-A back in 2008 make any noticeable difference in phone speeds) I wish you luck!
Sprint is actually adding 4G LTE now. There is some coverage in the DC area but it isn't officially part of the map yet. They're just leaving the cell sites up and running after testing. My problem is that my office must be in a zone that's just barely close enough to an antenna at the moment because the data coverage can be a bit spotty throughout the day and is only ever 3G. But when I am waiting for the Metro train which is not far away I get 4G which is much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.