Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best antivirus protection to go for

Best antivirus protection to go for

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any antivirus programs that don't suck?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
At best, anti-virus products are ~20% solutions. Some of them are deceitful. I consider others unnecessarily risky.

Anti-virus from the ... file: Trend Micro Anti-virus - UNinstall it now

Includes an unsecured back-door that permits anyone esle with network access to remotely run commands on your system. The integral password vault will also reveal your passwords. The architecture is so fundamentally flawed that this will not be an easy fix. Again: Uninstall this product. Really.

Anti-Virus Product as Spyware: AVG (Free edition)

AVG has updated the ToS for their free product. If you clicked "I Accept," they will begin harvesting & selling your internet usage & appl usage: "We collect non-personal data to make money from our free offerings so we can keep them free, including:

Advertising ID associated with your device; Browsing and search history, including meta-data; Internet service provider or mobile network you use to connect to our products; and Information regarding other applications you may have on your device and how they are used. Sometimes browsing history or search history contains terms that might identify you. If we become aware that part of your browsing history might identify you, we will treat that portion of your history as personal data, and will anonymize this information."

Anti-virus products that unnecessarily increase risk: Avast, ESET & Kaspersky Labs

All are capable of cracking HTTPS encryption via MiTM. They screw-up their TLS/SSL connection:decryption:scan:RE-ENCRYPTION ... and that's a VERY bad thing. For me, this architecture lowers the bar too far, considering the increased risk that accompanies it. There are ways to accomplish this task, without the unnecessary risks.

Once out'd, all three issued mea culpas and promised fixes. But did they reform their thinking? What the heck else might they be hiding? Beats me. All three are dead to me.

Avast: By default intercepts all encrypted traffic; except from sites using EV certs.

Kaspersky: By default intercepts traffic to certain important websites (ecommerce, banking, etc); except sites using EV certs.

ESET: By default doesnt intercept any traffic unless the user enables this
option; except sites using EV certs.

The problems with anti-virus products:

ESET: Does not support TLS 1.2 and therefore uses a less secure encryption
algorithm. Nor do they support OCSP stapling.

Kaspersky: Enables the insecure TLS compression feature that will make a user vulnerable to the "CRIME" exploit. Also accepts nonsensical params for Diffie Hellman key exchanges.

Avast: Bundles the Google Chrome browser (excellent TLS/SSL features) ... then immediately lowers Chrome's default security while display a "Secure" (not!) label.

What anti-virus products can be trusted? Beats me. I have not researched
Microsoft's Windows Defender or MalwareBytes.
Much of your content above appears to have been extracted from Hanno Bck's blog, posted in April of last year. Do you know for a fact that these vulnerabilities remain un-addressed?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:40 pm

> Do you know for a fact that these vulnerabilities remain un-addressed?

The answer to your question, is in my original post ...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Spybot S&D has recently moved into the antivirus space.

I haven't seen any reviews on their product. But from past experience their anti malware scans have been pretty good.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:40 am

> Do you know for a fact that these vulnerabilities remain un-addressed?

The answer to your question, is in my original post ...
Not seeing it.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Not seeing it.
> Once out'd, all three issued mea culpas and promised fixes. But did
> they reform their thinking? What the heck else might they be hiding?
> Beats me. All three are dead to me.

... and it is four if we include Trend Micro (we should).

What these firms chose to-do was not an error nor an omission. It was deliberate. I simply do not trust them to speak the truth. They lied. They got caught. Some doubled-down on the lie(s) before mumbling a mea culpa. Some did not even grasp the nature of their broken engineering.

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Feb 15, 2016 at 3:24 pm
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:18 pm
DH

> Once out'd, all three issued mea culpas and promised fixes. But did
> they reform their thinking? What the heck else might they be hiding?
> Beats me. All three are dead to me.

... and it is four if we include Trend Micro (we should).

What these firms chose to-do was not an error nor an omission. It was deliberate. I simply do not trust them to speak the truth. They lied. They got caught. Some doubled-down on the lie(s) before mumbling a mea culpa. Some did not even grasp the nature of their broken engineering.
What's your AV choice?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
At best, anti-virus products are ~20% solutions. Some of them are deceitful. I consider others unnecessarily risky.

Anti-virus from the ... file: Trend Micro Anti-virus - UNinstall it now

Includes an unsecured back-door that permits anyone esle with network access to remotely run commands on your system. The integral password vault will also reveal your passwords. The architecture is so fundamentally flawed that this will not be an easy fix. Again: Uninstall this product. Really.

Anti-Virus Product as Spyware: AVG (Free edition)

AVG has updated the ToS for their free product. If you clicked "I Accept," they will begin harvesting & selling your internet usage & appl usage: "We collect non-personal data to make money from our free offerings so we can keep them free, including:

Advertising ID associated with your device; Browsing and search history, including meta-data; Internet service provider or mobile network you use to connect to our products; and Information regarding other applications you may have on your device and how they are used. Sometimes browsing history or search history contains terms that might identify you. If we become aware that part of your browsing history might identify you, we will treat that portion of your history as personal data, and will anonymize this information."

Anti-virus products that unnecessarily increase risk: Avast, ESET & Kaspersky Labs

All are capable of cracking HTTPS encryption via MiTM. They screw-up their TLS/SSL connection:decryption:scan:RE-ENCRYPTION ... and that's a VERY bad thing. For me, this architecture lowers the bar too far, considering the increased risk that accompanies it. There are ways to accomplish this task, without the unnecessary risks.

Once out'd, all three issued mea culpas and promised fixes. But did they reform their thinking? What the heck else might they be hiding? Beats me. All three are dead to me.

Avast: By default intercepts all encrypted traffic; except from sites using EV certs.

Kaspersky: By default intercepts traffic to certain important websites (ecommerce, banking, etc); except sites using EV certs.

ESET: By default doesnt intercept any traffic unless the user enables this
option; except sites using EV certs.

The problems with anti-virus products:

ESET: Does not support TLS 1.2 and therefore uses a less secure encryption
algorithm. Nor do they support OCSP stapling.

Kaspersky: Enables the insecure TLS compression feature that will make a user vulnerable to the "CRIME" exploit. Also accepts nonsensical params for Diffie Hellman key exchanges.

Avast: Bundles the Google Chrome browser (excellent TLS/SSL features) ... then immediately lowers Chrome's default security while display a "Secure" (not!) label.

What anti-virus products can be trusted? Beats me. I have not researched
Microsoft's Windows Defender or MalwareBytes.
You seem to be conflating anti-virus with internet security offerings.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:20 pm

> You seem to be conflating anti-virus with internet security offerings.

Incorrect.

All four (4) examples I provided are ANTI-VIRUS products ... that have nefarious, undocumented feechurs that deliberately weaken security in a substantive manner. And the best AV is maybe 20% effective.

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Feb 16, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:30 pm

> What's your AV choice?

I do not use any anti-virus software.

The "best" anti-virus software is maybe 20% effective ... and too many of them have been caught deliberately doing things that actually decrease security.

What I do & use:

- I almost never login to my admin/root accounts
- Ad blocker - uBlock Origin (because the ad networks are significant distributors of malware:ads)
- Tracker blocker - uBlock Origin
- NoScript (I block everything by default and whitelist only a few things that I trust)
- I don't open attachments, unless I specifically requested that someone send me a specific item.
- I click very few links
- I do use bookmarks that I have manually created (typed-in)
- I uninstalled Java, before it was fashionable to uninstall Java
- I uninstalled Flash, ditto
- I uninstalled Silverlight, ditto
- I use HTTPS everywhere possible
- I prefer to use Firefox
- I uninstalled Adobe (PDF) Reader
- Sometimes use Chrome (primarily to view PDFs)
- Will never trust:use Internet Explorer or Edge
- I *try* to always run my browser in a separate VM/partition
- I strongly prefer LTE/4G/3G over public WiFi
- I use Netalyzer to determine if an internet connection is reasonably trustworthy

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Feb 17, 2016 at 8:34 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- I click very few links
So you don't use the web?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
So you don't use the web?
Incorrect

I am very deliberate and disciplined when it comes to web usage. Think twice. Click once.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:54 am

> What's your AV choice?

I do not use any anti-virus software.

The "best" anti-virus software is maybe 20% effective ... and too many of them have been caught deliberately doing things they should not have ever done.

I do use:

- Ad blocker - uBlock Origin (because the ad networks are significant distributors of malware:ads)
- Tracker blocker - uBlock Origin
- NoScript (I block everything by default and whitelist only a few things that I trust)
- I don't open attachments, unless I specifically requested that someone send me a specific item.
- I click very few links
- I do use bookmarks that I have manually created (typed-in)
- I uninstalled Java, before it was fashionable to uninstall Java
- I uninstalled Flash, ditto
- I uninstalled Silverlight, ditto
- I use HTTPS everywhere possible
- I prefer to use Firefox
- I uninstalled Adobe (PDF) Reader
- Sometimes use Chrome (primarily to view PDFs)
- Will never trust:use Internet Explorer or Edge
- I *try* to always run my browser in a separate VM/partition
- I strongly prefer LTE/4G/3G over public WiFi
- I use Netalyzer to determine if an internet connection is reasonably trustworthy
Do you have a specific preference of uBlock over Privacy Badger?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:00 am

> Do you have a specific preference of uBlock over Privacy Badger?

No. (Not yet. <g>) I trust EFF (Privacy Badger & HTTPS Everywhere)

Another advantage of using ad blockers and tracker blockers ... web pages load a lot faster.

The disadvantage is that some web sites refuse service to customers running ad & tracker blocking technology. (Conde Nast, Forbes, etc.)
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:26 am

> Do you have a specific preference of uBlock over Privacy Badger?

No. (Not yet. <g>) I trust EFF (Privacy Badger & HTTPS Everywhere)

Another advantage of using ad blockers and tracker blockers ... web pages load a lot faster.

The disadvantage is that some web sites refuse service to customers running ad & tracker blocking technology. (Conde Nast, Forbes, etc.)
You can usually find a way around that kind of block (meaning an alternate site for the same information).

I run VMs as well so I can access a suspect site from a throw away VM instance if I absolutely have to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.