Wiki Posts
Search

Best antivirus protection to go for

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Apart from you...
I never said it was immune, that is something you apparently read into my post.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Because it is not tired or old, it is true and relevant. I don't have or need an anti-virus program on my Mac, and have no problems with virus'.

If that "vast majority" is using Windoze they have already experienced the downgrade, they just don't know it yet.
Using "Windoze" is the true sign of a troll. So tired.

I don't have or need an anti-virus app on my PC or Chromebook either - does that make me superior as well?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are you so against alternative view points? We get it, you don't like Apple, or Apple users. Do you also wish to ban everyone who says that Android is the best thing since sliced bread? There are several around here who post that regularly.

It's a fact that Apple computers are less susceptible to viruses. Fact, plain and simple. The high end computer market has been captured by Apple. That is a clear indicator that people who want quality are willing to pay for it. Not sure why that bothers you. It's not your money.
Sorry, but I guess I'm "stalking" you again. "Buy a Mac" is NOT, I repeat NOT an alternative viewpoint when the question is "what is the best anti virus protection". The cheapest option here is $1000, so explain in what insane world spending $1000 is better than many of the (free) Windows Anti-virus packages?

Nobody in the history of the world walked into Best Buy for a $29 box of Norton and walked out with a Mac. It is not, nor ever will be a viable alternative as an anti-virus solution.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It is horrible advice to tell people that they don't need anti virus protection for a Mac if their computing exposes them to the viruses out there for macs.

It is also horrible advice to imply that there is no such thing as a Mac virus which just is not true.

Buying a Mac does not solve a virus problem. And despite what Mac trolls post there are many pc's out there that have never been infected with a virus.

Any antivirus software is the very last line of Defense. If you get to the point where you need it To protect you, you probably need to revisit your computing practices.

Last edited by cordelli; Apr 1, 2013 at 7:17 am Reason: changed th to to
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
It is horrible advice to tell people that they don't need anti virus protection for a Mac if their computing exposes them th the viruses out there for macs.

It is also horrible advice to imply that there is no such thing as a Mac virus which just is not true.

Buying a Mac does not solve a virus problem. And despite what Mac trolls post there are many pc's out there that have never been infected with a virus.

Any antivirus software is the very last line of Defense. If you get to the point where you need it To protect you, you probably need to revisit your computing practices.
This.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Using "Windoze" is the true sign of a troll. So tired.

I don't have or need an anti-virus app on my PC or Chromebook either - does that make me superior as well?
So do you complain to people who talk down about Apple users too? There are several common anti-Apple appellations used here, but I have never seen you chastise anyone who uses them. Why only those who disparage MS products?

If you don't have or need an anti-virus app on your PC you are one lucky person. Who ever said any of this was about "superiority"? Other than you? Time to lighten up. It' an IBB, not the public square.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, but I guess I'm "stalking" you again. "Buy a Mac" is NOT, I repeat NOT an alternative viewpoint when the question is "what is the best anti virus protection". The cheapest option here is $1000, so explain in what insane world spending $1000 is better than many of the (free) Windows Anti-virus packages?

Nobody in the history of the world walked into Best Buy for a $29 box of Norton and walked out with a Mac. It is not, nor ever will be a viable alternative as an anti-virus solution.
Do you speak for everyone? Is there NEVER a situation where a new Mac could be the answer someone is looking for? Do you think all computer users are as savvy as you? Maybe they are looking for a solution for an elderly parent who is thousands of miles away, and for whom the price of a new computer is worth the cost of not having to play IT Tech from across the country. There are MANY reasons why people might like to know that the virus problem is heavily, HEAVILY weighted to the Windows PC world. Those who do not know there is an alternative will not be making an informed choice. Is that a good idea?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you speak for everyone? Is there NEVER a situation where a new Mac could be the answer someone is looking for? Do you think all computer users are as savvy as you? Maybe they are looking for a solution for an elderly parent who is thousands of miles away, and for whom the price of a new computer is worth the cost of not having to play IT Tech from across the country. There are MANY reasons why people might like to know that the virus problem is heavily, HEAVILY weighted to the Windows PC world. Those who do not know there is an alternative will not be making an informed choice. Is that a good idea?
If they need a PC for an elderly parent, they will ask for it and explain the background. But to blindly claim "buy a Mac" as the solution for all your AV problems shows a horrible lack of understanding of computers, and provides a false sense of security.

The price difference between buying a well rated software package and "buying a Mac" is around $1000. If my "elderly parents" came to me for advise on PC security and I told them that they should just "buy a Mac", I'd be laughed at. It isn't an acceptable solution.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've been happy with Trend for 4-5 years now.
My requirements: Stays in background and doesn't annoy me, and works.

I got a free copy of Trend about 5 years ago through my job. I liked it so much that I renewed it when it was up. Since then, I've learned that you can usually buy it on Black Friday at Staples for $5 or less after rebate. I do this every year now. It's good for all 3 of my computers, doesn't annoy me ever (gives a once a week summary that you can disable), and has stopped a few over the years.

To me, Norton is a resource hog and is annoying.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
Currently, I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes free version.
This is the combination I use as well. Although for Malwarebytes free version, you need to update manually. It's easy to do, but also easy to forget to do it. For $25, you get automatic updates.

The best anti-virus plan? Plan to buy a Mac. Problem solved.
[Sigh] I knew in a thread about anti-virus, someone would eventually say this. I actually think Macs are fine, but that kind of attitude is tiresome. On tech blogs, there's also always one person who recommends Linux. (By the way, I used Ubuntu for a couple years.)

Getting back to the matter at hand, there was a good discussion on Reddit: What would you say is "must get" software?

Lots of tech-savvy guys on that website, giving a broad range of software recommendations, including anti-virus.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cordelli
...Buying a Mac does not solve a virus problem. And despite what Mac trolls post
Thankfully there are few such here; most folks would prefer to be genuinely helpful.

there are many pc's out there that have never been infected with a virus.
Bingo.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they need a PC for an elderly parent, they will ask for it and explain the background. But to blindly claim "buy a Mac" as the solution for all your AV problems shows a horrible lack of understanding of computers, and provides a false sense of security.

The price difference between buying a well rated software package and "buying a Mac" is around $1000. If my "elderly parents" came to me for advise on PC security and I told them that they should just "buy a Mac", I'd be laughed at. It isn't an acceptable solution.
For you. Not for all. And that is the problem here. You are apparently the only one allowed to have an opinion, or able to make blanket statements. You don't like Mac's, and actively campaign against anyone suggesting them. Just look at this thread. Your opinion is not fact, neither is mine, but you want everyone to believe only your opinion matters.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StreetSmartTraveler
[Sigh] I knew in a thread about anti-virus, someone would eventually say this. I actually think Macs are fine, but that kind of attitude is tiresome.
Where there is smoke there is often fire. People recommend Macs because they are a very good option for many people. Note, I said "many people", not everyone. Why are you against someone offering an alternative?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where there is smoke there is often fire. People recommend Macs because they are a very good option for many people. Note, I said "many people", not everyone. Why are you against someone offering an alternative?
Because a $1000 computer is not an alternative to a cheap (or free) piece of software. Period.

I don't care how you twist it, or how many times you claim I'm an evil Apple hater or that I am on some secret vendetta against you, if someone comes here and asks for an antivirus solution, recommending a new computer just isn't a logical answer. Not for me, not for anyone. And from the other responses here, you'll see that I'm not the only one annoyed by the answer.

If someone comes here and says they have had years of bad luck with Windows, and that they are tired of dealing with computer issues, you can come here with your ridiculous "buy a Mac" answer.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:11 pm

As the OP, a Mac is not the solution for me. I heavily rely on Windows for its simplicity and user friendliness.

Back on topic, alot of suggestions. Avast, Norton, Eset. I really don't know which to choose.

Maybe a poll should be taken and I just choose the majority

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.