Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
How is the credit card acceptance at restaurants and shops?
Upscale restaurants and shops will accept credit cards but honestly we rarely had a meal that topped $10-15 pp. including drinks (many under $10!) so didn't feel the need to pull out the plastic. We only used credit cards at hotels and one tailor shop in Hoi An where my wife had a few really nice dresses made (and I got a cheesy smoking jacket decorated with dragons for a gag!).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Picked up a Viettel SIM for 265k for 3GB package.

Getting LTE! But speeds range from 6-7 to about 20 Mbps. I've been only to HCMC and now, just on the outskirts of Hoi An old town.

Initially I picked up a Mobifone SIM at the airport and that has ranged from 3-4 to up to 13 Mbps. But coverage seemed more spotty even in District 1 of HCMC.

I'm suppose to have 4 GB on that one and I paid 160k VND.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: AA PLT
Quick update: Band 3 LTE seems to be live and is pretty widespread, at least on Viettel. Was getting 25/20 speeds consistently in HCMC, Hoi An, Hai Phong, and Hanoi.

The "official" Viettel stores at HCMC rip you off (as expected) -- they'll take your money for whatever plan you buy, and then activate it with the lowest unlimited plan (600 MB high-speed, throttled after). Luckily, Viettel is really pushing to get people on 4G, so they were throwing in free data with new SIM activations when I bought mine (up to 10GB), but not sure this will always be the case. If you want to buy it at the airport, buy the cheapest plan you can, and then buy a top-up card when you get into town. They often run reload bonuses of up to 50%.

Current plans are here: https://4gvietteltelecom.vn/. Don't even need to speak Vietnamese to figure out how much to reload. 4G plans are a much better value than 3G plans. As of the time of writing, 90,000d gets you 1.2GB of 3G, compared to 3GB of 4G.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Can someone comment on what the EASIEST way to get a vietnam sim (that would hopefully cover vietnam and cambodia) after landing at HCM or Hanoi airports? Having ATT global international data clearly isn't going to work and I'd like to get just something quickly upon landing.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Can someone comment on what the EASIEST way to get a vietnam sim (that would hopefully cover vietnam and cambodia) after landing at HCM or Hanoi airports? Having ATT global international data clearly isn't going to work and I'd like to get just something quickly upon landing.
There are a bunch of booths immediately after exiting baggage claim at SGN that sell SIM cards. Basically all the same price. You will not get what you paid for (welcome to being ripped off in Vietnam), so grab the cheapest data SIM they'll sell you (walk around, some only sell the more expensive plans) and reload it on your own once you get into town.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Ditto
Might be too late now, but there is really no need to get Uber/Grab at SGN airport, just go outside and grab a taxi, the preferred companies are Mai Linh/Vinasun, and the driver would start the meter, a ride to the city would be <10$ (I think we paid about 130K or 150K VND)
Since this thread re-surfaced, I thought I'd update...

I ended up not getting a local SIM at all and relied on WiFI during my short time in SGN.

I did catch an Uber from the airport into town. The cost was about US$4. I actually used Uber quite a bit around town, mostly the motorcycle version and many rides were $.40-$.50.

And with using WiFi, it was a pain at times. But there are plenty of hotspots. A few times I asked someone standing near me, "hotspot?" and they'd let me latch on to theirs. I can see how that would get old though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.