Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Vietnam

Prepaid SIM - Vietnam

Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How is Uber within the town?

Do you have to put in a local phone number for your Uber account for the drivers to call you?

Also, all these data SIMs include tethering?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Coolers
Because my UberX today from the airport to my D1 hotel was 82k including airport fee, during weekend rush hour.
2 euros difference and no hassle with the app, data allowance, etc - I couldn't really care less. But I guess there is a generation now out there, who does everything via an app - to each his own, I guess
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by wco81
How is Uber within the town?

Do you have to put in a local phone number for your Uber account for the drivers to call you?

Also, all these data SIMs include tethering?
I don't think I've come across a sim that doesn't include tethering. Vinaphone currently offers 5gb for 100k.

I use Uber regularly in HCMC and never bother to call. I don't get cancelled on either - perhaps that's because I use my overseas number that they don't know how to or are unable to call.

That being said, I always enter the name of a larger restaurant/hotel nearby instead of relying on GPS or street numbers.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
2 euros difference and no hassle with the app, data allowance, etc - I couldn't really care less. But I guess there is a generation now out there, who does everything via an app - to each his own, I guess
The $ difference is probably the least important part, though I am one of those who must have data, so why not save some money? The best part is not having to explain or give directions to drivers whenever I want to visit a small restaurant/cafe/whatever.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Anyone has experience with buying a sim at SGN post the government clamp down on unregistered simcards?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Three weeks ago it was easy, they just took a photocopy of the passport's data page, so I guess that's registration. My fav seller (100k VND for a week) ran out of stock so I shelled out 160k at the next kiosk for the same.

Taking into account that my home operator's roaming in SE-Asia costs 12€/MB (no kidding) buying local SIMs is just a non-brainer.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
How much money am I looking at for a SIM card - need 2 weeks and at least 2 GB data (is WiFi readily available in public areas and/or hotels) and for calling texting, need an incoming number (not data only) and preferably 100 minutes, but both domestic AND international.

Do any companies have nano SIMs available, in HAN?

Also, saw conflicting things when searching in English. Is LTE available in Vietnam?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by joshwex90
How much money am I looking at for a SIM card - need 2 weeks and at least 2 GB data (is WiFi readily available in public areas and/or hotels) and for calling texting, need an incoming number (not data only) and preferably 100 minutes, but both domestic AND international.

Do any companies have nano SIMs available, in HAN?

Also, saw conflicting things when searching in English. Is LTE available in Vietnam?
Even if you buy the overpriced Tourist SIMs, at most 300k VND. Includes 3GB of data, some amount of domestic+international calling, and at least 15 days validity. LTE is being trialled, but is not widespread yet. AFAIK, no companies are offering native nano SIMs yet, but there are plenty of sellers willing to cut SIMs down for you.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

What kind of speeds did you get on these 3G SIMs?

Supposedly Viettel has the largest network but heard some people saying Vinaphone is faster? Maybe more congestion on some Viettel towers?

Also supposedly the airport sellers will sell SIMs registered to others but then they get deactivated after 4 days. So some have to go to the shops operated by the companies to get the SIM re-registered and re-activated.

That said, is there any value in getting a SIM with voice, rather than data-only, which seems to be much cheaper, like 120k VND or less versus 200-300k VND for the same amount of data with voice? That is if you don't speak Vietnamese anyways?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:14 am

That said, is there any value in getting a SIM with voice, rather than data-only, which seems to be much cheaper, like 120k VND or less versus 200-300k VND for the same amount of data with voice? That is if you don't speak Vietnamese anyways?
You don't need to speak Vietnamese to use voice calls, if you would like to e.g. call your hotel, or call a restaurant to book a table, or be in touch with a local travel agent who arranges you transport/tours etc. they are all likely to speak good enough English

You can obviously use skype etc. over the data package you have to achieve that though.

And of course, if you might need to accept incoming calls from family/work then it is a no brainer to go for a SIM that have a number, yes it may cost more, but we are still talking about ~10$ or even less
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
What kind of speeds did you get on these 3G SIMs?

Supposedly Viettel has the largest network but heard some people saying Vinaphone is faster? Maybe more congestion on some Viettel towers?

Also supposedly the airport sellers will sell SIMs registered to others but then they get deactivated after 4 days. So some have to go to the shops operated by the companies to get the SIM re-registered and re-activated.

Just returned from Vietnam. I got the fastest/most data Viettel sim at SGN airport for 290k. The 3G speed was actually pretty good. I was able to "facebook live" from a floating market in Can Tho and live from Saigon when the clock ticked to midnight NYE. The connection was great. Also did FaceTime with relatives in the US without any issues. Having voice was nice. Was able to make restaurant reservations and arrange transportation from our hotel when we were arriving at an airport. The wifi at some places was not very fast so was good to have 3G as a backup.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:32 pm
Suspended

How much data did you get for 290k?

Did it include voice and SMS?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
How much data did you get for 290k?

Did it include voice and SMS?
It was about 3GB of data, unlimited sms and I believe 120/min of voice. I was bleary eyed coming off IAD-DOH-SGN so didn't drive a hard bargain! There are several kiosks right out of customs. Tried to buy a sim for my wife's phone but apparently her iPhone was locked to AT&T. I thought both mine and my wife's were unlocked but only mine was. They put the sim in and activated my phone right on the spot. They didn't charge me for the sim they tried with my wife's phone.

On a side note, one thing I learned on our trip is that the exchange rate is the same or even a little better when exchanging cash rather than going to the ATM. I wished I had brought more hard currency rather than rely on the ATM. The max I could get out of an ATM was 3million Dong which is about $140. You then get hit with the ATM fee from your bank and my exchange rate ended up a little under 21,000/$. When exchanging CASH, I got 22,500 Dong/$. They gave even better rates if you had 50s or 100s.

Enjoy your trip! We absolutely loved it.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Thanks, that sounds like the tourist SIM with 3 GB of data for 300k VND:

https://translate.google.com/transla...157f380811f903
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
On a side note, one thing I learned on our trip is that the exchange rate is the same or even a little better when exchanging cash rather than going to the ATM. I wished I had brought more hard currency rather than rely on the ATM. The max I could get out of an ATM was 3million Dong which is about $140. You then get hit with the ATM fee from your bank and my exchange rate ended up a little under 21,000/$. When exchanging CASH, I got 22,500 Dong/$. They gave even better rates if you had 50s or 100s.
Yes, most ATMs have a relatively low limit on how much you can take out, and charge between 20K-40K transaction fee (on top of whatever your bank/cc company may charge you), the trick is to ask around for the ones where you can get more money, some ATMs will allow up to 10M and still charge not more than about 40-50K on top
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:17 am
Suspended

How is the credit card acceptance at restaurants and shops?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.