Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for GPS unit with European and US maps?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for GPS unit with European and US maps?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Last year's Garmin model Nuvi 2475 came loaded with both North America and Europe maps and had a pedestrian mode. The model is still available on the Garmin site and several online merchants.
Thanks, I'll have to take a look. My current Garmin Nuvi (several years old) came with NA and Europe maps and a pedestrian mode, but the Europe maps are strictly highway maps.

For me, it's the lesser of two evils: frequently juggling a tourist map while I walk around and constantly trying to figure out where I am on the map (street signs are always absent just when you need them) or just carrying a Garmin. If necessary, I'm thinking I could minimize looking at it by relying on the audio cues.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Thanks, I'll have to take a look. My current Garmin Nuvi (several years old) came with NA and Europe maps and a pedestrian mode, but the Europe maps are strictly highway maps.

For me, it's the lesser of two evils: frequently juggling a tourist map while I walk around and constantly trying to figure out where I am on the map (street signs are always absent just when you need them) or just carrying a Garmin. If necessary, I'm thinking I could minimize looking at it by relying on the audio cues.
I selected the Nuvi 2577 over the Nuvi 2475 because it had the 5 inch screen vs. the 4.2 inch screen. The downside in buying the 2577 is that it doesn't have that pedestrian mode. Both models came loaded with both North America and Europe maps.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It's a wonder they're still selling dedicated GPS devices.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
It's a wonder they're still selling dedicated GPS devices.
I guess it is a tradeoff for some people who don't want roaming charges on a cell phone when traveling abroad vs. the cost of a dedicated GPS unit like a Garmin or Tom Tom.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well if you already have a smart phone, you can get the app. with European maps for $100. They often have sales where TomTom app. is $80 for Europe on the App. Store.

More and more people have smart phones now, about 50% in the US. Phones like the Lumia 520 are about $160 now (though I'm not sure what kind of third-party offline GPS apps it has but I believe you can download the Nokia maps -- Nokia bought Navteq a couple of years ago -- for offline use).

Smart phones these days will acquire the satellites faster with AGPS and the responsiveness has the potential to be a lot better because the SOCs used in phones are way better than the cheap embedded processors used on most GPS PNDs.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some phones don't allow for GPS to be used unless also enabling the reception for mobile calls. In other words, consider the possibility of nasty roaming charges so you plan to avoid them before you get hit by them.

I use the iOS Navigon Europe apps in pedestrian mode too. It worked well for me even on unpaved trails in park grounds in various parts of Europe. Buying the app when it's on sale using a gift card bought on sale too can really drive down the cost.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:12 am

I haven't used a standalone GPS for quite a while. The GPS in my phone is excellent (HTC).
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Is anyone using GPS for pedestrian navigation? If so, any recs?
I have used a Garmin nuvi 660 for this, but the battery life deteriorated badly, so got a nuvi 3490 and loaded EU maps. Used the 3490 last year to navigate in Germany. It will work, but if you are downtown in a big city your direct line-of-sight to satellites may be interrupted by buildings, making the navigation somewhat dodgy.

BTW, even w/o map in hand, you'll still look like a tourist trying to reconcile the screen picture with your surroundings.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I guess it is a tradeoff for some people who don't want roaming charges on a cell phone when traveling abroad vs. the cost of a dedicated GPS unit like a Garmin or Tom Tom.
The tradeoff may be addressed by sticking in a no-value/low-value Prepaid SIM card -- that controls for roaming charge concerns.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Ran across this today: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-...ref=25&loc=PGR. Although the unit has lifetime traffic updates, lifetime maps are not included in the $79.99 purchase price. From the reviews, only three or four of which seem to include experience in Europe, several are positive while one says the European maps didn't work at all.

For someone looking to buy a cheap unit for basic navigation in Europe for an upcoming trip, this might be an OK option. The lack of liftetime map updates for both the US and Europe, although understandable given the low price, certainly limits its usefulness after about a year or so, however.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I have an old Garmin 255 and it has been great. i have downloaded the maps from USA/Venezuela/Europe/Africa in the SD card and ready to go. It has had all the maps without any problems.

Just bought a 40LM for $90 to see all of this Lifetime Maps, and have an extra GPS for family members and to see if it's tad a bit faster.

Then i used Google Navigation on my Galaxy S4 and it is better than the Garmin. A bit more accurate, much faster, gorgeous screen, clearer maps, etc. The only catch it of course depends on a data plan. As i find myself anywhere in the world and need a GPS immediately or in rural areas i purchased an entry 40LM to do the task when there's no SIM around or phone signal.

I actually prefer compact GPS with smaller screens for travel, but i have to be honest imho Google Navigation wipes out the floor of dedicated GPS. The only issue is that they require data and most of the time i don't buy in a prepaid SIM card with data where i travel. So imho the best would be to carry both devices as i do.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:39 pm

I have a multi-country European trip (NL, BE, FR, DE, CH) coming up and am looking for the best option for navigation in a car.

I'm trying to decide between a GPS unit or an app on my iPhone. I see a TomTom VIA 1505 World Traveler model for $150 or a Garmin Nuvi 2598 for $159. I'm mainly interested in maps for Europe and even though I live in the U.S., I rarely need a GPS here. Of course, having the U.S. maps could come in handy in an emergency, especially since hurricane season has arrived. I remember during our Katrina evacuation, we had to get off the interstate and onto secondary and tertiary roads at night. Also, those of us in the affected area could not use our cell phones for up to a week, even though we had evacuated outside of the Gulf Coast. I'm also looking at the Nuvi 2577 which has U.S. & Europe maps included.

I want turn-by-turn directions, a unit that will get me back on track quickly if I make a wrong turn and doesn't use cellular data. The thing that concerns me about the TomTom & Garmin units is that it seems as if they were produced in 2011-12 and maybe newer models are coming soon.

I've briefly looked in the iPhone App Store at the Garmin & TomTom apps, but they didn't have any reviews on either one. Hoping to see if anyone here has any experience with them.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Jun 2, 2014 at 12:27 pm Reason: Corrected nuvi model #
Old May 31, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the Nuvi 2557 and am extremely happy with it. The only downside is that it doesn't have lifetime maps. It has worked perfectly in Italy on my last trip. Yes it is a slightly older model but it works just fine and the pricing should be lower now than when it was first released. @:-)

I also have used the bluetooth feature on the Nuvi 2577 with my cell phone when using rental cars which provides me with hands free speakerphone capability.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:38 pm

Sorry for confusing the model numbers. I actually meant the 2577 (not the 2557) has the US & Europe maps pre-loaded.

Thanks for the info about using yours in Italy. I saw the 2577 listed on the Garmin site for $209 & on Amazon for ~$191.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Sorry for confusing the model numbers. I actually meant the 2577 (not the 2557) has the US & Europe maps pre-loaded.

Thanks for the info about using yours in Italy. I saw the 2577 listed on the Garmin site for $209 & on Amazon for ~$191.
Sorry, I meant 2577.

The Amazon price sounds reasonable, especially if you can get free shipping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.