Reload this Page >

travelling with a backup mobile?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

travelling with a backup mobile?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Not being anal retentive , I only travel with one phone. If my wife is with me, then she also brings a phone. Still a 1:1 ratio.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I do this. New phone every 2yrs, with the previous one as backup. 2 sim cards, on the same number. Done.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by bankops
I do this. New phone every 2yrs, with the previous one as backup. 2 sim cards, on the same number. Done.
Two SIM cards with the same number? This is possible?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:13 pm

This is/was common in Europe. One SIM was for the car; the other for the mobile. If the car was on, it went to the car -- otherwise to the mobile.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: QFF
I have an iPhone 5; I take my old iPhone 4S when I go overseas as a "travel" phone. I prefer to keep my Australian number active rather than put a local SIM in my iPhone 5 so I put a local SIM with data in the 4S. It also means I can keep my 5 relatively free of travel related apps and keep them on the dedicated travel phone, and have the apps sorted for whatever country I'm in.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
This is/was common in Europe. One SIM was for the car; the other for the mobile. If the car was on, it went to the car -- otherwise to the mobile.
Yup. This is how I ended up with one SIM, but now with bluetooth in the cars it isn't necessary. Wife has two also, but that is just in case she loses her phone, she can grab an old one and be up and running.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
For $30, buy a BLU T172 Jenny Unlocked Quad-Band GSM Phone. Works almost everywhere. Weighs half a pound. Throw it in your laptop bag and forget about it, until you need it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I travel with two phones as well; one better smartphone that I also use in the states, and one cheapie phone (a nominally-a-smartphone Pantech.) Usually only get one SIM card, mostly use the better one, but will swap it into the cheapie if I'm:
- going to the pool or beach
- going out drinking
- going to a dodgy area
The rest of the time it's a spare.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bkafrick
For $30, buy a BLU T172 Jenny Unlocked Quad-Band GSM Phone. Works almost everywhere. Weighs half a pound. Throw it in your laptop bag and forget about it, until you need it...
+1

Got the idea for this from this thread, have had the phone for a month, and I can't tell you how nice it is to have a tiny phone that's, well, a phone, plus dual sim, quad band, unlocked, and it just works.

(One oddity, though--no head phone jack. Where the jack should be is a...flashlight!)

Last edited by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime; May 2, 2013 at 12:42 pm
Old May 1, 2013, 6:00 am

My common backup is an Asha 311 which is a Nokia pentaband HSPA plus quadband GSM phone. As some carriers have started shutting down 2g networks and repurposing it to 3g, I thought HSPA was needed for voice in more places than Japan and Korea.

See:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/03/a...twork-by-2017/

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/A...Network-118679

http://gigaom.com/2012/06/12/t-mobil...keeps-growing/

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._off_2G_mobile
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:45 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Having put my Iphone 5 accidentally into the wash and my old Iphone 4 drain its battery in less than 4 hours in NY with all extras turned off, does anyone have a more recent recommendation for a backup/travel phone?

My current primary phone is sadly still the backup Iphone 4 as I'm trying to decide what to do for a primary (unlocked phone). My current backup is the old Treo 650!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Just got a Moto G (US LTE version, unlocked) for exactly this purpose. Pretty impressive what they can do for $219.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I always travel with my old mobile. When necessary to get a local sim, it lets me keep my global sim in the newer phone...and also provides a backup for when I kill the battery.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:28 am
Suspended

I stick with just the single phone but if my travel was more adventurous I would be tempted to carry a second backup option for all of the reasons mentioned.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by tcl
my old Iphone 4 drain its battery in less than 4 hours in NY with all extras turned off,
OT but changing battery is fairly easy. Google for instructions, there are many youtube videos. And replacement battery via amazon.com is less than $10. PM if you need more help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.