Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Silver Fox
This is a stub Wiki for this thread - the idea is that any member can edit it to keep it up to date as a distillation of the best info from the thread.

3 - 200MB Free data SIM
3 - 15 pounds for 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and unlimited 3G data for a month (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=112) The deal might not be dead but to buy the addon you need to switch WiFi off (!!) and open http://three.co.uk/my3 on your device as this unlinked support page says. Three customer service and store both says this doesn't work with tablets -- however customer service are idiots and doesn't know what is a tablet only knows phones and iPads (both phone and chat -- this is apparently company level). Tread carefully. Anyways, this method still worked on January 13, 2015.

Note the GBP15 all you can eat deal has now been pulled(Note 8/3/16: All in one with All you can eat data is now GBP25): http://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/AIO20B

If you don't want to buy a bundle or a plan, Three's flat rate for calls is now 3p per minute. The expiry time of one month or three months for topups has now been removed. So you pay only 3p per call minute for what you use.

Three's data is only 1p per MB, and you can buy packages (eg 500MB for 5 pounds). The packages ("add-ons") may not save money directly, but those data packages are eligible for use in "Feel at Home" countries (Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, Indonesia, Macau, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sweden, USA) at no extra charge. See http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=EXT(EM11925)

EE: http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

Vodafone: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk

O2: https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

giffgaff: www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/nfh (£5 free credit) or www.giffgaff.com/orders/free-sim (no free credit)

Three: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

How do I top up with an overseas card, or can I use PayPal?

Strangely, some firms insist that you must use a UK issued credit card to topup. Some do take PayPal:

Giffgaff
Vodafone

But it is not as prevalent as it should bein this day and age admittedly. There is a firm that some people have reported success with and they are:

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/

What frequencies are used in the UK?

There are a total of 5 different frequencies used in the UK used by the mobile networks to deliver their 2G, 3G and 4G mobile services.

800MHz (Band 20)
900MHz (Band 8)
1800MHz (Band 3)
2100MHz (Band 1)
2600MHz (Band 7)

Here's a chart for iPhones and which bands each model can use. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

If you're not sure which model you have, look on the back of your iPhone or go into Settings-->General-->About-->Legal-->Regulatory

iphone 5 users note that: iPhone 5 cannot get 4G/LTE on the 800MHz or 2600MHz frequencies but it can on the 1800 frequency.

For other users there are a number of resources to check the frequency your phone supports including:

Global Certification Forum

As an example this is the data for a Samsung J1 Ace SM-J111F

GSMARENA

What frequencies do the different operators use?

Each operator in the UK utilises different frequencies to deliver their mobile networks with the core networks being EE, O2, Vodafone and Three. Then there are also operators, called mobile virtual network operators (MVNO), who utilise the backend of the core networks to offer their own services.

The frequencies used by the major UK networks are:

EE (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz & 2600MHz

O2 (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Vodafone (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 2600MHz

Three (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHZ

The frequencies used by UK’s MVNO’s are listed below:

Asda Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

BT Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

iD Mobile (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz

Freedom Pop (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHz

GiffGaff (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Lebara Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

LycaMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

TalkMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

TalkTalk (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Tesco Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

The People’s Operator (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

Virgin Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz, & 2600MHz

Please add and edit!
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Was iT 3G or 4G-LTE in The Other countries ?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...are-three.html
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:25 pm

We're going to be in Cornwall for about 10 days and likely won't need more than 1 gb. What's the current favorite prepaid data?

Last time we were in the UK, my wife used giffgaff and I used tmobile (now ee). We each use a Nexus 5.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
richarddd? any results on your trip... I know it was less than a month ago...

Also I am planning on flying into heathrow, small layover and then up to EDI, and bringing my verizon iphone 6+ so i think i can just get a sim in LHR and then use it everywhere..

It appears that 3 in scotland is ok, not great, but ok.

anyways can I get a sim quickly in LHR inside security, or at EDI quickly??... My wife is always irritable after a long flight and we need her to quickly take a nap or I regret it significantly. <
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by guy999

Also I am planning on flying into heathrow, small layover and then up to EDI, and bringing my verizon iphone 6+ so i think i can just get a sim in LHR and then use it everywhere..

It appears that 3 in scotland is ok, not great, but ok.

anyways can I get a sim quickly in LHR inside security, or at EDI quickly??... My wife is always irritable after a long flight and we need her to quickly take a nap or I regret it significantly. <
IIRC there's a Sim Vending machine right after immigration and before customs at LHR. Shouldn't be an issue.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by guy999
<snip>
I used my old tmobile SIM. Wife got a giffgaff SIM. Many giffgaff users will mail a SIM to the US for free. giffgaff gives a £5 credit for this (us and the sender). Add £10 and you can buy 5gb of data while still in the US.

Both worked well, other than in very rural Cornwall.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IslesFan
IIRC there's a Sim Vending machine right after immigration and before customs at LHR. Shouldn't be an issue.
You can also get SIMs at W.H. Smith and buy a top-up at the register. You may have to ask for the SIM, they are a bit hard to find!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mgo72
Was iT 3G or 4G-LTE in The Other countries ?
3G in Indonesia
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am with giffgaff and think I might have a SIM I can mail if you wanted to give that a go. Just PM me if you do, I'll need to know the size.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:25 am

Three in UK

We'll be in Amsterdam (2 days), UK, Scotland, and Ireland for 3 weeks this July. We want to stay connected via Internet using iPhone and iPad.

Looks like Three's GBP 15 for unlimited data might be the cheapest way for UK. Correct? If so, could someone help answer a few questions?

- Can I buy a SIM with Add-On and set it up prior to our trip? Do they mail the card to USA?
- Or, is it easier/better to get a SIM once we are in London?
- Is ID required when purchasing or signing up?
- Honestly, we'll to turn on Personal Hotspot on iPhone (i.e. tethering) sometimes since it is easier to read on iPad. Any data point for how Three is handling this (e.g. suspend account, give you slower speed, etc.)?

I could switch to T-Mobile Simple Choice but I don't like to switch again after the trip. Plus they will do a credit hard pull.

TIA!!
Old May 27, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lw7878
We'll be in Amsterdam (2 days), UK, Scotland, and Ireland for 3 weeks this July. We want to stay connected via Internet using iPhone and iPad.

Looks like Three's GBP 15 for unlimited data might be the cheapest way for UK. Correct? If so, could someone help answer a few questions?

- Can I buy a SIM with Add-On and set it up prior to our trip? Do they mail the card to USA?
- Honestly, we'll to turn on Personal Hotspot on iPhone (i.e. tethering) sometimes since it is easier to read on iPad. Any data point for how Three is handling this (e.g. suspend account, give you slower speed, etc.)?

I could switch to T-Mobile Simple Choice but I don't like to switch again after the trip. Plus they will do a credit hard pull.

TIA!!
It has been a year since I was out there. I could not buy before my trip. I don't recall ID being required. I never had a problem with your last question but was not a super heavy tetherer.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Consultette
It has been a year since I was out there. I could not buy before my trip. I don't recall ID being required. I never had a problem with your last question but was not a super heavy tetherer.
Three does require it be sent to a UK address, but it is free. You can have it sent to a friend/relative and have them post it to you. You can then get a £15 top-up from WH Smith as soon as you clear customs. Saves £5 over using the vending machine. Plus, I don't think that's a "normal" 3 SIM - that is, I THINK (I may be wrong, I've never used one, I'm just going off what it sounds like on the vending machine) that is pre-activated for 30 days of the (normally £15) plan and then gets killed after that.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Three does require it be sent to a UK address, but it is free. You can have it sent to a friend/relative and have them post it to you. You can then get a £15 top-up from WH Smith as soon as you clear customs. Saves £5 over using the vending machine. Plus, I don't think that's a "normal" 3 SIM - that is, I THINK (I may be wrong, I've never used one, I'm just going off what it sounds like on the vending machine) that is pre-activated for 30 days of the (normally £15) plan and then gets killed after that.
I got my 3 Sim at a Vending machine at LHR. It's a regular sim AFAIK. I was able to reload it with a voucher, and it's still active 11 months later.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by lw7878

Although Three will not mail to US, you can get a SIM from eBay and they will mail to the states. I got two SIMs from eBay seller Tango1268 prior to our trip in April. You can get the SIMs with GBP 15 or 25 and activate the desired add-on just before you leave the states. This is especially convenient if you have a car hire service or anyone else you'd like to give the phone number to in advance.

No ID required. Three explicitly states that you cannot use the pre pays to tether (hotspot). I believe it states that they will suspend the account.

We had no problem finding free WiFi for our iPads but if you prefer, you can get a SIM for your Tablet - just be sure it's listed that it's for the tablet.

Also, the service was great. Three is in process of upgrading to 4G. I had 4G many places in central London. We were on 3G most of the time outside London (I think I also had 4G in Oxford but not sure) and I don't think we were ever out of coverage.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:49 pm

Just checking, what is the perceived preference these days for people visiting the UK. Three or GiffGaff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.