Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - France

Prepaid SIM - France

Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Prepaid SIM - France

I have the information for Orange France prepaid Sim cards. You can see the details here -
http://oneeyeddog.wordpress.com/2011...arte-payg-sim/

If it will help I can extract most important details and post here.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blackjack-21
Can anyone using the Toggle service let us know as to call quality and roaming outside the major cities? Also, reading their T&C's says that your info also goes to India and you agree that by activating the sim that your information would then be available to third parties, including your birthdate. Doesn't that invite lots of spam mail and possibly security issues?

bj-21.
Used it for voice only in France. Great service, extremely convenient. Wish their data rates were cheaper though.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Can anybody advise me on how this card

http://www.amazon.com/France-Prepaid-Unlimited-Internet-Calls/dp/B00ADSGYXG

would work for me?

I will be in France next month for 10 days.
I have an unlocked Samsung Android smartphone.

1) Would I be able to find out my phone # before I arrive in France?
2) Will Orange accept a US credit card to register this?
3) How much would phone calls within France cost/minute? (this would be the primary use of the card)
4) Would I be billed $.99/day only for the days I use the internet without WiFi?
5) Does the calls to US via VOIP function work with only the smartphone?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect you'd need to activate the card in France at an Orange store, but I'm not sure. Still, $30 for this seems quite expensive, even with $10 of airtime.

You're far better off just going to a store in France (SFR, Orange, and Bouygues are the big three providers) and getting a SIM.

When I was in France, Orange refused to sell me a SIM for my iPhone because "you will burn through all your data in five minutes" - never mind that I understand how all this works quite well and would do no such thing. Orange also had a 48 hour wait before data would be available on a new SIM.

I wound up getting a card at Bouygues and was up and running in ten minutes, including 200 MB of data. Bouygues's coverage isn't as good as Orange's, but it worked fine.

SFR is supposed to be the cheapest, but they wouldn't sell me a prepaid SIM either. The lady just said their prepaid system was down and she didn't know when it would be back up.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:38 pm

Unless You Speak French, Go with the Immigrant SIM Cards

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you are not a French speaker, consider one of the following - they have English websites and customer service, and some of them will mail you a free SIM to your hotel (although it appears that perhaps now they limit mailings to French residential addresses.)

Presumably you can also buy in France. They are all MNVOs aimed at the local immigrant community so may more likely be for sale in those neighborhoods. The last one in the list below has a "Find a Shop" page showing where you can buy the SIM at retail.

http://www.lebara.fr/?isoCode=en_GB

http://www.lycamobile.fr/en/

http://ortelmobile.fr/en-GB/
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Whatever you do, don't use SFR. Total disaster - bad service - agents in store who don't know anything - phone agents who know less. Data "service" doesn't include email on iphone.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:27 pm

Orange - Service Review

Hi,

My family and I spent 10 days in Paris last month and I bought 2 prepaid SIMs from the Orange store just south of Place St. Michel. I paid 10 Euro per SIM which I was told included unlimited voice and text to French numbers for one week. For an additional 5 Euro, I could add data. Was told service would turn on in an hour or so and that was the case for both SIMs. They seemed to offer all sizes of SIM (I needed standard and micro).

I found the data reception spotty, both Edge and 3G showed up on my unlocked iPhones, at the various tourist sites in and around Paris. Was told that the number would be lost after 6 months of no use or top-up's. I could top up over the internet if I wanted.

The one weird event had to do with my voice and texting capability. Having not used the phone to make a call and only used it for 3-4 texts, I was locked out of voice and sms after 2-3 days (inconvenient as it happened on a Sunday). My data service continued to work fine and my wife's phone continued to work fine for all three services. I took the phone into the store on Monday and was told I was out of credits. I didn't argue (as I don't speak French) and added 5 Euro more as we were only staying a few more days.

In summary, I would use them again, might try to find someone who speaks English better (or bring a friend who speaks French for me).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Cobijonz
Hi,

My family and I spent 10 days in Paris last month and I bought 2 prepaid SIMs from the Orange store just south of Place St. Michel. I paid 10 Euro per SIM which I was told included unlimited voice and text to French numbers for one week. For an additional 5 Euro, I could add data. Was told service would turn on in an hour or so and that was the case for both SIMs. They seemed to offer all sizes of SIM (I needed standard and micro).

I found the data reception spotty, both Edge and 3G showed up on my unlocked iPhones, at the various tourist sites in and around Paris. Was told that the number would be lost after 6 months of no use or top-up's. I could top up over the internet if I wanted.

The one weird event had to do with my voice and texting capability. Having not used the phone to make a call and only used it for 3-4 texts, I was locked out of voice and sms after 2-3 days (inconvenient as it happened on a Sunday). My data service continued to work fine and my wife's phone continued to work fine for all three services. I took the phone into the store on Monday and was told I was out of credits. I didn't argue (as I don't speak French) and added 5 Euro more as we were only staying a few more days.

In summary, I would use them again, might try to find someone who speaks English better (or bring a friend who speaks French for me).
This sounds like one of the simplest options that I've seen.

Please tell me one thing; I know how much the French love their paperwork and bureaucracy; what type of ID did you have to provide? I'm guessing you didn't have to show evidence of living in France, or having a bank account or such.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
This sounds like one of the simplest options that I've seen.

Please tell me one thing; I know how much the French love their paperwork and bureaucracy; what type of ID did you have to provide? I'm guessing you didn't have to show evidence of living in France, or having a bank account or such.
I just had to show a passport at Bouygues.

Be sure if you go with Orange that your data won't take 48 hours to activate!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I just had to show a passport at Bouygues.

Be sure if you go with Orange that your data won't take 48 hours to activate!
thanks for the info, most grateful
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
My data took 48 hours to activate with SFR and then didn't include e-mail! I have bought data/voice SIMs for my iphone in 11 countries and France was by far the most challenging. I have gotten to the point where I'd rather roam with my T-Mobile UK SIM than buy one in France.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:36 am

Just showed my passport and paid with my US credit card. Everything was turned on within an hour on both SIMs.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hertz, Avis, Southwest, Alaska Air
Any recommendations for a prepaid SIM (w/ data) that can be shipped to the US? I'll be travelling to France and the UK in a few weeks and would like to be ready to go when I land.

So far Le French Mobile and Toggle Mobile seem to be the best I've found.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:18 pm

I think the only practical option for getting a French SIM in advance is ebay.

Originally Posted by nfaust
Any recommendations for a prepaid SIM (w/ data) that can be shipped to the US? I'll be travelling to France and the UK in a few weeks and would like to be ready to go when I land.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nfaust

So far Le French Mobile and Toggle Mobile seem to be the best I've found.
Le French Mobile worked great for my trip to Paris several months ago (check that thread for all the details of what I bought).

I also used a GiffGaff SIM card while briefly in London a few months ago.

Both these cards can be mailed to the US so you can be ready to go when you land.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.