Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - France

Prepaid SIM - France

Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Used an Orange France Mobicarte SIM sans engagement (no contract) previously on an unlocked AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G. Periodically especially in southern suburbs of Paris I would have no signal. However if I manually selected SFR or some other carrier on my phone, it would connect and roam just fine on the other network. Then I would manually switch back to Orange when in a more central location.

Some of my associates with US SIM cards also had weak or no signal and the manual changing to a different network worked for them too.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Million Miler
4g Data Only Prepaid Sim card in Paris 2013

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 and I would like to purchase a prepaid 4g data only sim card in Paris.
I'm gonna be there for about 3 weeks and I would like a 3gb worth of data.
How much would it cost?
What is the company with the best coverage and where should I purchase it?
Thanks for all your help.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Does the Verizon s3 even have a SIM slot?
Old May 1, 2013, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
Does the Verizon s3 even have a SIM slot?
yes it does.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:42 pm

However, isn't that SIM slot for 4G data in the US, not for 3G data nor for gsm voice?

See: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala..._cdma-4799.php

Originally Posted by jonesytv
yes it does.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
However, isn't that SIM slot for 4G data in the US, not for 3G data nor for gsm voice?

See: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala..._cdma-4799.php
that's a great question...I honestly don't know.
i'm a geek, but not that big of a geek. I was hoping to put a 4g sim card in and just get data...maybe i'll have to use a 3g card.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have an unlocked Samsung Mini Galaxy 2 (S6500D) that was bought in Hong Kong (used for my trip over there).

Is this a phone that will work in Europe with prepaid sim cards (it is a mini sim).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My wife is staying in a small French town outside of Nice for 2 weeks. Just got there Sunday... We have an old unlocked Nokia - standard SIM slot - and were hoping to find a cheap/easy SIM card for her local use. It would be for a few local calls per day plus perhaps a call back to the U.S. per day. No data is needed. (She's using Wifi/Skype for some calls so not a lot of airtime is needed.)

She's noticed a couple newsagent/tobacconist type places nearby. Any recommendations on which type or how to ask for the right card? She does speak and read French fluently, so she doesn't require English-language instructions. This thread seems to favor Orange, is that still a good call?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
My wife is staying in a small French town outside of Nice for 2 weeks. Just got there Sunday... We have an old unlocked Nokia - standard SIM slot - and were hoping to find a cheap/easy SIM card for her local use. It would be for a few local calls per day plus perhaps a call back to the U.S. per day. No data is needed. (She's using Wifi/Skype for some calls so not a lot of airtime is needed.)

She's noticed a couple newsagent/tobacconist type places nearby. Any recommendations on which type or how to ask for the right card? She does speak and read French fluently, so she doesn't require English-language instructions. This thread seems to favor Orange, is that still a good call?
I think these things change frequently and looking at the mobile provider's websites is often the best way to compare.

Having said that, I'm partial to http://www.lebara.fr/, but that's at least in part because they have English customer service.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I think these things change frequently and looking at the mobile provider's websites is often the best way to compare.

Having said that, I'm partial to http://www.lebara.fr/, but that's at least in part because they have English customer service.
Looks like a reasonable option...free SIMs and a plan for about 5 euros that should do nicely for her. Will she be able to easily pick up a Lebara SIM at any newsagent or grocery store? (Is this a common brand that is everywhere?)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:33 pm

Looks like a reasonable option...free SIMs and a plan for about 5 euros that should do nicely for her. Will she be able to easily pick up a Lebara SIM at any newsagent or grocery store? (Is this a common brand that is everywhere?)
Lebara is an MVNO and is not as widely available as some others. While is is free if one orders from the website, I'm not sure if it is free if you buy it in a store. They claim that the SIM is available in all of the following stores:

http://help.lebara.fr/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:1679

They also say that if you order the SIM on the web it will come within 2 working days.

One advantage of Lebara is that their international rates are very reasonable.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

Walk to the nearest tabac, kiosque or PTT and ask for "une Mobicarte, carte de SIM" (as opposed to the card with the phone). Here is a web page, completely in French, that explains everything.

If she happens to call Customer Service I would be interested in her reaction since my belief has always been that the purpose of Orange Service Clientèle (as opposed to their Tech Support) is to make Verizon Wireless look good.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:59 am

LeFrenchMobile experience

Hi all,

I went with lefrench on my holidays to France and Spain last month.
Here are my feedbacks:

The pros:
- all calls in the European Union are at the same tariff and cheap international calls
- data packages for all countries too rather cheap
- home delivery (that was the best for me)
- english speaking customer service
- top up online with my UK card

The cons:
- to get a data bundle you have to convert your credit into a data bundle you can't buy it directly
- be careful when you choose your SIM format I mixed up micro and nano SIM cards so I had to exchange since they don't have any store it took a couple of days
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by rsmith9
Hi all,

I went with lefrench on my holidays to France and Spain last month.
Here are my feedbacks:

The pros:
- all calls in the European Union are at the same tariff and cheap international calls
- data packages for all countries too rather cheap
- home delivery (that was the best for me)
- english speaking customer service
- top up online with my UK card

The cons:
- to get a data bundle you have to convert your credit into a data bundle you can't buy it directly
- be careful when you choose your SIM format I mixed up micro and nano SIM cards so I had to exchange since they don't have any store it took a couple of days
Thanks very much for the useful information as I am leaving myself in 2 weeks and still trying to figure the best way to obtain phone/data service. Could you clarify the steps for me. Do you purchase a certain amount of credit and then convert that credit to a data bundle. Also, does the bundle include voice/text messaging? Thanks very much in advance, Rob
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ultramet
Thanks very much for the useful information as I am leaving myself in 2 weeks and still trying to figure the best way to obtain phone/data service. Could you clarify the steps for me. Do you purchase a certain amount of credit and then convert that credit to a data bundle. Also, does the bundle include voice/text messaging? Thanks very much in advance, Rob
Welcome to Flyertalk, Rob. Be sure to read this whole thread, which contains a lot of useful info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.