Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Prepaid SIM - Italy

Looking for info on prepaid data sim for Italy. I don't need it for voice, just my ipad 3g as my mother-in-law does not have wifi and I need something to surf on while visiting her. I go often so something reloadable? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Looking for info on prepaid data sim for Italy. I don't need it for voice, just my ipad 3g as my mother-in-law does not have wifi and I need something to surf on while visiting her. I go often so something reloadable? Thanks in advance.
TIM (Telecom Italia) has always worked fine for me.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dlerner
TIM (Telecom Italia) has always worked fine for me.
Thanks. Is it easy to configure? My husband is arriving before me and will go buy the sim but he is not that tech savvy so if it is anything more complicated than plug and play, he'll need some help. How helpful are the Tim people? He is Italian and we both speak the language so that won't be an issue,
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
My experiences with TIM in Italy was much better speed, coverage, cheaper.

I'd go with TIM or Wind before Vodaphone in Italy, at least strictly for data. Maybe if you need voice, there are better values.
TIM is currently running a promotion that gives you 500mb/week for 4 weeks. You may have to be a new customer. A SIM costs 10 euros, including a 5 euro credit.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards
So my mom is going to Italy for 6 weeks in April.

She has a TMo MyTouch4G .. what is her best option for a SimCard with Phone and Data plan over there? (kind of hard to read and extract this info buried in this thread)

Thanks ahead of time.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by PDXracer
So my mom is going to Italy for 6 weeks in April.

She has a TMo MyTouch4G .. what is her best option for a SimCard with Phone and Data plan over there? (kind of hard to read and extract this info buried in this thread)

Thanks ahead of time.
TIM and their prepaid Smartphone plan might be good
http://www.international.tim.it/en

More info and options (look on left nav bar)
http://prepaid-wireless-internet-acc...ge/Italy+-+TIM
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
prepaid gsm sim card 4g lte italy

I am planning a trip to italy in a few months. I already own a mifi 2352 box that I used the last time and it's 3g, and I think I already know the answer to this, but I just want some confirmation.

3g data sim card seem to be reasonable priced for unlimited or limited data but 4g sim cards seem to be much more expensive and also difficult to find.

I will be in italy the entire 2 weeks of my vacation so I only need to buy one card for one country.

Anyways the reason I was trying to get 4g is I really want to skype video with my daughter when I'm on my trip and last time 3g wasn't really fast enough for video without stuttering.

I have been on the prepaidgsm forum and that's where I get some of my information but I figured I would catch more american's over here that have through my similar situation.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:53 pm

prepaid sim for netherlands and/or UK

Newbie here so pls forgive ahead of time
I'd like to find the least expensive/best prepaid sim card
for each of these two countries...I have the phone here
in USA and just didn't know where to start for ordering them
ahead of time (so I can let those overseas know my ph# b4 I come)
and having it shipped to me here (or is there a place in DC that
might offer them on the spot?)

I know if I get a europe sim card its more expensive (per minute)
but it depends, if there isn't quite a disparity (UK vs europe lets
say) I might want to pay a bit more for the convenience!

Any suggestions?
Thx in advance-
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by umuddafadda
Newbie here so pls forgive ahead of time
I'd like to find the least expensive/best prepaid sim card
for each of these two countries...I have the phone here
in USA and just didn't know where to start for ordering them
ahead of time (so I can let those overseas know my ph# b4 I come)
and having it shipped to me here (or is there a place in DC that
might offer them on the spot?)

I know if I get a europe sim card its more expensive (per minute)
but it depends, if there isn't quite a disparity (UK vs europe lets
say) I might want to pay a bit more for the convenience!

Any suggestions?
Thx in advance-
What is your primary purpose with the SIM -- data or voice?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:17 am

voice only-I've checked with lebara-they seem pretty good (price wise)--any help would be appreciated!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:34 am

i have done a lot more research since posting this, and apparently I am just going to stay at 3g... I know there is a tim shop in the airport as I fly in and I will just buy a card there and go for it.

all of the hotels I'm staying at have, per their reports, good wifi, so I should be ok, even if my mifi device doesn't work that well.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:41 pm

ok clearly my thread belongs here since it was moved, so I figure I will also ask this question here.

If I get a sim card for my iphone 5 in italy, can I then use the local italian telephone number with google voice and then when someone calls my us google voice number it will ring on my iphone 5 with the italian sim.

anyone tried this already..?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by guy999
ok clearly my thread belongs here since it was moved, so I figure I will also ask this question here.

If I get a sim card for my iphone 5 in italy, can I then use the local italian telephone number with google voice and then when someone calls my us google voice number it will ring on my iphone 5 with the italian sim.

Not sure GV would forward to foreign number, especially a mobile one, because mobile carriers charge a lot for connecting international calls.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:51 am

Google voice does not forward to international numbers. You can get a number from the localphone, callcentric, etc. to forward internationally.

Originally Posted by guy999

Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
Thanks. Is it easy to configure? My husband is arriving before me and will go buy the sim but he is not that tech savvy so if it is anything more complicated than plug and play, he'll need some help. How helpful are the Tim people? He is Italian and we both speak the language so that won't be an issue,
I have separate TIM SIM cards for voice and data (for my MiFi). The SIM in my phone worked right away, but to get the data to work, I had to change the APN. I've used the MiFi all over Europe and Italy was the only country where I had to do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.