Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Old Aug 17, 2013, 1:28 pm

New to all this

I too am going ot italy in October and trying to figure out what to do.

we both have iphone 4s and i would like to be able to make calls within Italy to tour companies etc. And text each other in case we lose one another (I hate even going shopping in the store without being to find her - hate wasting time looking )

Should we get a SIM card which I am not even sure if that is an actual "card" or just a setup...or get two temp phones in italy for that time.

WE will have computers/ipads in the apartments we are renting so are planning on using that. but might want to use data for the phones while out and about.

Is there a way to get this all setup before even leaving so we don't have to mess with it there.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bgsnmky
I too am going ot italy in October and trying to figure out what to do.

we both have iphone 4s and i would like to be able to make calls within Italy to tour companies etc. And text each other in case we lose one another (I hate even going shopping in the store without being to find her - hate wasting time looking )

Should we get a SIM card which I am not even sure if that is an actual "card" or just a setup...or get two temp phones in italy for that time.

WE will have computers/ipads in the apartments we are renting so are planning on using that. but might want to use data for the phones while out and about.

Is there a way to get this all setup before even leaving so we don't have to mess with it there.
If you want to get local phone, you'll have the same problems getting them as getting a SIM so I would go with pre-paid SIM card. Getting them in advance from out of country is not doable to my knowledge. I just go to a Vodafone shop the day I arrive and either recharge an existing SIM or get a new one if my old one has been dormant too long. I use Vodafone and getting it started is a pain but once running is fine. I find twittering them and doing DMs a great way to resolve issues. I am assuming that you'll be there for a week or two and the effort is worth it. I just came back from 2 weeks there and we got SIMs for my phone and both my and my wife's tablets.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:09 pm

nano-sim card pre-order for italy?

Hi,
I'm heading to italy in a few weeks and I was wondering if it was possible to pre-order and get a nano-sim card mailed in advance before my arrival into Pisa Italy. After briefly looking at the airport map and the surrounding area, there doesn't seem to be any options in getting a pre-paid sim card upon my arrival. Please advise.

thanks in advance
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by philltx
Hi,
I'm heading to italy in a few weeks and I was wondering if it was possible to pre-order and get a nano-sim card mailed in advance before my arrival into Pisa Italy. After briefly looking at the airport map and the surrounding area, there doesn't seem to be any options in getting a pre-paid sim card upon my arrival. Please advise.

thanks in advance
If you absolutely must have a SIM in advance you can go to telestial.com but for the convenience you will pay a hefty premium. You'll save a lot of money by getting one when you get to Italy.

Go here: for a "Codice Fiscale" generator:

http://www.comuni.it/servizi/codfisc/

You'll need it to get a SIM in Italy.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by weekilter
You'll save a lot of money by getting one when you get to Italy.

Go here: for a "Codice Fiscale" generator:

http://www.comuni.it/servizi/codfisc/

You'll need it to get a SIM in Italy.
What is that? We were just in Italy in July and didn't have to do anything to get SIM cards for our phones. We just walked into a Vodafone store, asked for SIM cards and they made copy of my passport and take my cash. It took about 5 minutes and 1 or 2 signatures.

Interestingly enough, when our Italian friend who wanted a SIM card, she has to fill out so many forms and stuff.. it took over 20 minutes.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:17 pm

Prepaid SIM - Italy

you may or may not need a Codice Fiscale. my advice - generate one but only offer it if they won't do it without one.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Need
What is that? We were just in Italy in July and didn't have to do anything to get SIM cards for our phones. We just walked into a Vodafone store, asked for SIM cards and they made copy of my passport and take my cash. It took about 5 minutes and 1 or 2 signatures.

Interestingly enough, when our Italian friend who wanted a SIM card, she has to fill out so many forms and stuff.. it took over 20 minutes.
Do you have to have an "unlocked" phone or can this be any phone.
WE have iPhone 4s..
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by JMN57
If you want to get local phone, you'll have the same problems getting them as getting a SIM so I would go with pre-paid SIM card. Getting them in advance from out of country is not doable to my knowledge. I just go to a Vodafone shop the day I arrive and either recharge an existing SIM or get a new one if my old one has been dormant too long. I use Vodafone and getting it started is a pain but once running is fine. I find twittering them and doing DMs a great way to resolve issues. I am assuming that you'll be there for a week or two and the effort is worth it. I just came back from 2 weeks there and we got SIMs for my phone and both my and my wife's tablets.
Are vodaphone shops just all over the place..trying to figure out how to find one.
Also I am guessing you go in and they activate for a certain amt of time and then you are finished with it. (example I would start in Rome and end in Venice).
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do you have to have an "unlocked" phone or can this be any phone.
WE have iPhone 4s..
Yes you need an unlocked phone. Verizon iPhone 4S may already be unlocked for GSM. But regardless of which carrier, you should ask them if it's unlocked and if not, ask them for the unlock code.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Are vodaphone shops just all over the place..trying to figure out how to find one.
Also I am guessing you go in and they activate for a certain amt of time and then you are finished with it. (example I would start in Rome and end in Venice).
Yes. TIM are more common and there are a lot of Wind shops too.

TIM has better coverage, Wind has better prices than Vodaphone.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:18 am

Go to Vodafone.it and you can search for stores. Prepaid plans are basically for 30 days and cover all Italy so where you start/end shouldn't matter. You'll have to purchase a SIM which usually comes with a nominal credit and then purchase a prepaid plan. Just make sure that it is set up to not automatically renew (only an issue if you want to use the SIM again as the auto renew will wipe out any carry over balance).
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:25 pm

SIM for Italy & Spain (Vodafone?)

The family and I are splitting time in Italy and Spain (starting in Italy), a few weeks in each location.

Since Vodafone serves both countries can I use the SIM purchase/package/rates from Italy when moving over to Spain?

Or, should I just plan on buying a new one on arrival in Spain?

-any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
.cj
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by underceej
The family and I are splitting time in Italy and Spain (starting in Italy), a few weeks in each location.

Since Vodafone serves both countries can I use the SIM purchase/package/rates from Italy when moving over to Spain?

Or, should I just plan on buying a new one on arrival in Spain?

-any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
.cj
Hmmm that didn't work for me. We had Vodafone sim from Italy and we drove to Austria. As soon as we got close to the border, we got a TXT saying that the SIM does not allow roaming in another country. It won't even let us use it at Republic of San Marino! And that's right in the middle of Italy, but it is another country technically speaking. Maybe you can get a SIM that allows you to use in other countries, but we didn't get one.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:37 pm

Strange, I have roamed outside Italy with my Vodafone IT prepaid SIM on many occasions.

The Vodafone Smart Passport plan gives 25 minutes of incoming calls, 25 minutes of outgoing calls, and "unlimited" data within the EU for 3 EUR per day:

http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...Smart-Passport

Originally Posted by Need
Hmmm that didn't work for me. We had Vodafone sim from Italy and we drove to Austria. As soon as we got close to the border, we got a TXT saying that the SIM does not allow roaming in another country. It won't even let us use it at Republic of San Marino! And that's right in the middle of Italy, but it is another country technically speaking. Maybe you can get a SIM that allows you to use in other countries, but we didn't get one.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Strange, I have roamed outside Italy with my Vodafone IT prepaid SIM on many occasions.

The Vodafone Smart Passport plan gives 25 minutes of incoming calls, 25 minutes of outgoing calls, and "unlimited" data within the EU for 3 EUR per day:

http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...Smart-Passport
I have a different SIM. It has around 200 minutes or 500 talk, some TXT (don't remember how many), and 2GB (very sure) of data. It was around 29 euro. So I guess there is that option if you ask for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.