Three Feel at Home
Flexiroam X
Telestial
Print Wikipost

Pan-International prepaid SIMs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Pan-International prepaid SIMs

I don't know if these two options were already mentioned in this thread but they're worth checking out (particularly if you're not traveling alone or don't have an unlocked phone):

http://www.tepwireless.com

http://www.xcomglobal.com

Both of these services will send you a MiFi like (mobile hotspot) device before you leave home and you'll be able to connect to their device through wifi with up to 5 devices at the same time. It can come in handy! Tep Wireless has very competitive pricing. I haven't tried them out yet though...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by fredsxb
I don't know if these two options were already mentioned in this thread but they're worth checking out (particularly if you're not traveling alone or don't have an unlocked phone):

Both of these services will send you a MiFi like (mobile hotspot) device before you leave home and you'll be able to connect to their device through wifi with up to 5 devices at the same time. It can come in handy! Tep Wireless has very competitive pricing. I haven't tried them out yet though...
These are rental devices. Could work if I was travelling randomly. I am not sure about these prices.

Here are more about solution I use http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/15/u...-10-sim-cards/
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by fredsxb

Used Tep last year in London and it worked great. What I read about use in other countries is not good.

Cheers
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Toggle Mobile - Travel SIM

I was digging around the prepaid SIM thread and noticed a interesting SIM option that CelticFlyer posted about. It's called Toggle Mobile by Lycamobile. The concept is that you can get a local number in some countries and call in/out at local rates.

It's a prepaid UK SIM card with a UK number attached. When you travel to France, Germany, Spain, Australia, Switzerland, Netherlands, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Ireland you can get a local mobile number there (free for 30 days or 5GBP to keep for a year) and get local UK rates (free incoming, 3p/min outgoing SMS 9p and data 15p/MB) which is just excellent if your hopping around Europe. In addition there are plenty of free incoming countries.

They have currently on promo a free SIM so I ordered one and will give it a try. These rates are cheaper than my PL postpaid roaming rates are and are quite good rates incl the UK data packs.

the intl calling rates are even cheaper than other providers (3p/min to call the USA vs I believe 5p/min on Vodafone UK)

the only catch is that you need to make a call or send a SMS every 90 days to keep the number from expiring, so basically 1 SMS to my PL number every 3 months should do it. And you also need at least 10p to receive calls - even the free incoming. But besides those 2 points, it seems like a great travel sim incl in EU.

togglemobile.co.uk
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I also ordered their free sim and it arrived very quickly (after some emailing back and forth as to whether they would send it to Canada (they did) and if it would be okay not to activate it until I got to the UK later this year (it is).

As I mentioned in the earlier thread to which you've alluded, I'm a bit concerned about the information they ask for going to third party advertisers when you activate online, but I'm wondering from the insert included when the sim arrived, if you could just insert the sim and purchase a topup card at a retailer instead of online to buy credits, and then use the sim itself with the topup credit to complete the activation without going further. Let us know on here how the activation goes for you (online activation or just put in the credits from a topup card or voucher from a retailer and if that's all that is needed), and if you're satisfied with the call quality and service.

Thanks,

bj-21.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:09 am

Do they offer non-UK data packs?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:16 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Do they offer non-UK data packs?
From what I could gather - no. They offer lower data in certain countries, but so far the best data roaming I found is the vodafone UK one. If your in Eu its 2GBP/day for 25MB and rest of the world 5GBP for 25MB. they also have some tablet version with 8GBP for 100MB in EU and 25GBP for 100MB (daily)

Toggle is some 15p/MB in the "local" countries which comes out to be 3.75GBP for 25MB
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
I have Toggle Mobile, ordered the SIM on Amazon US site. Worked great in Paris. I agree with the above that they need to offer data bundles for the other countries to become a really attractive service.

Also, regarding keeping account active, here are their terms from their site:

3.3 If you do not use your SIM Card to make a voice call, or send a message or data, or if you do not purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services, for a period of ninety (90) days from the date you registered or activated your Account or your last use of the Services (whichever is later), Lycamobile will contact you by SMS or e-mail advising you that your SIM Card will be deactivated. Lycamobile will then provide you with an additional thirty (30) days to make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Thaks for the info , I am off to the Europe in a few weeks , this is just what I need.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Mine was free

I ordered my Toggle SIM free (with zero credit), directly from Toggle on February 6 and it arrived in Houston on February 13, just a weeks time. My understanding is I can activate/fund it anytime I am ready.

So, unless you are leaving immediately and will need Amazon overnight shipping, save the money and get it direct. Even better, order one right now while you are thinking about it and you will be ready for your trip. Press the "offers" button at the top of their webpage and the cards are free until February 17.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Just ordered one , anyone use it in Belgium yet ? it does not seem to be one of the countries with local phone numbers ,

I assume it would be always roaming when I use it there , it would be mobile to mobile calls that I need

Any tips ?

I will also be in Holland , Germany and Italy

thanks for your help
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: HI Plat
Just ordered one.
Does anyone know which network/networks they use in the UK?

They are part of Lycamobile, who I think use O2 for their "Lycamobile" brand SIMs.
So I would guess it's O2
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Ordered Friday. I'm not sure if I'll use Toggle or someone else next month. They offer local numbers in both countries I'll be in, but no data packs outside of the UK is a bit of a deal-killer.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:13 pm

They may launch their toggle mobile country data packs sometime in March 2013.

See the twitter conversation here:
https://twitter.com/alex_siracusa/st...53364319240192
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:13 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Missed the free SIM. Now at least Ł15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.