Flexiroam X
Telestial
Print Wikipost

Pan-International prepaid SIMs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
does anyone have experience with OneSimCard?

http://www.onesimcard.com/

the reviews are mixed.... they have pretty good rates, but I'm wondering if it's too good to be true? There's gotta be a catch, right?
I've used them previously and had pretty good service. Customer is not the best. I found cellomobile.com to be a better alternative for me because of the phone number attached to their international sim, which is based in UK. It now costs my office to call me 5 cents/min. V's. Onesim 40 or more cents.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:25 pm

The Estonia +372 number attached to the sim is very expensive to call. And some carriers may not even connect to it. Of course, you can add one if their country specific personal numbers.

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
does anyone have experience with OneSimCard?

http://www.onesimcard.com/

the reviews are mixed.... they have pretty good rates, but I'm wondering if it's too good to be true? There's gotta be a catch, right?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:33 pm

Hi, I have a question for anyone who has used the toggle sim.

I have the incoming/outgoing calls going alright but noticed that my phone (android phone) as an R on the reception bars which means roaming. Is this normal if I have registered the local number and am in that country? So should I turn on data roaming in this case? or will it be charging me a lot?

ie. In Australia now, with local toggle sim number working, incoming/outgoing calls works but phone is set to not data roam.

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrcamp
The Estonia +372 number attached to the sim is very expensive to call. And some carriers may not even connect to it. Of course, you can add one if their country specific personal numbers.
If you have a PEN added (free for a year with an amazon review) it's only 20c a minute to call you anywhere that gets free incoming calls.

I also just posted to Toggle Mobile's facebook wall about failed CC purchase, will see what they say.

Last edited by PainCorp; Sep 9, 2013 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
Now if just toggle adds a USA virtual number, I just might start using it daily.
I just checked and toggle now has the capability to add a USA virtual number.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by frogduck
Hi, I have a question for anyone who has used the toggle sim.

I have the incoming/outgoing calls going alright but noticed that my phone (android phone) as an R on the reception bars which means roaming. Is this normal if I have registered the local number and am in that country? So should I turn on data roaming in this case? or will it be charging me a lot?

ie. In Australia now, with local toggle sim number working, incoming/outgoing calls works but phone is set to not data roam.

Thanks!
I just got back from France and England where we used Toggle SIMs in my Droid Razr and my wife's Droid Razr Maxx. I don't know why, as the phones are virtually identical except for the bigger battery in the Maxx, but on my wife's Maxx I had to enable data roaming. I worried about it briefly but then I realized that without the original Verizon SIM, her phone had no way to identify itself as a Verizon phone. You can verify that your data is indeed being provided by Toggle by pressing *137# then Send. This will run a little applet that reports your data usage.

The Toggle SIMs worked well with a few minor glitches. The hardest part was finding out how to set up the access point names (APNs). This link explains it.

Toggle the company is a little hard to deal with. It seems to be very small as I reached the same support reps in several calls. One of them, Padma (IIRR), speaks the most incomprehensible English I've heard in a long time -- so much so that I resorted to repeating everything she told me, preceded with "I think you said...". The others were fine. Topping up was frustrating as each transaction was "randomly rejected on our [Toggle's] end for security purposes." This was really bizarre as none of the charges were actually submitted to my bank.

Next time, I'd top up in shops where possible. Their web site has a minimum £10 top-up, but their operators will attempt a £5 one for you before "randomly" rejecting your card (if your experience is like mine). The workaround for me was to choose the PayPal option, which worked fine.

I don't understand how Toggle can charge only £0.03/minute for calls to UK mobiles, but they do. That's less than it costs to call a UK mobile from another UK mobile with a normal plan.

Good luck,

-Andy
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Is there any one pre-paid sim that could be recommended for Japan, HK, Thailand, Vietnam, NZ, India etc?

I might be have to pick up a few different ones on the way.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by yokozuma
Is there any one pre-paid sim that could be recommended for Japan, HK, Thailand, Vietnam, NZ, India etc?

I might be have to pick up a few different ones on the way.
The Conexus mobile alliance which will roam in several of the Asian countries. It is probably cheaper to pick up a few different sims than to pay roaming data fees.
Starhub Singapore
http://www.starhub.com/roamingoverseas.html
TrueMove Thailand http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/inte...ices/entry/618
http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/inte...ces/entry/2220

http://www.conexusmobile.com/alliance.html

If you just need calls and sms, one of the pre-paid roaming sims like Piranha Mobile might save you some time.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
SIM card for... any country in the world?

Is there a relatively reasonably-priced SIM card that lets you call and use data anywhere in the world? But mainly for Germany, Japan, and China?

I am currently in the US on Verizon, using a Blackberry Q10, which has a SIM card from Verizon. Do I need to "unlock" the phone to use SIM cards from other countries/carriers?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Oct 4, 2013 at 8:04 am
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I'm using the toggle SIM (that's discussed extensively in this thread) in a Verizon Motorola Droid III. Works very well and cheaply in all of Europe, but has expensive roaming rates in Asia.
When you are on a Verizon contract, you do need to have Verizon unlock your device so it'll accept non-Verizon SIM cards. Good luck with that - I spent over an hour in a store and even longer on the phone with them to get that done....
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I'm using the toggle SIM (that's discussed extensively in this thread) in a Verizon Motorola Droid III. Works very well and cheaply in all of Europe, but has expensive roaming rates in Asia.
When you are on a Verizon contract, you do need to have Verizon unlock your device so it'll accept non-Verizon SIM cards. Good luck with that - I spent over an hour in a store and even longer on the phone with them to get that done....
Just FYI: I have Motorola Droid Maxx, Verizon version and did not have to have it unlocked. Works fine with any SIM as long as you are not in the USA. If I would want it to work in the USA, then I would have to go to Verizon to have it fully unlocked.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Verizon LTE phones are not locked for use abroad. There was no need to unlock my Droid Razrs, for example.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Verizon LTE phones are not locked for use abroad. There was no need to unlock my Droid Razrs, for example.
Exactly my point.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Just FYI: I have Motorola Droid Maxx, Verizon version and did not have to have it unlocked. Works fine with any SIM as long as you are not in the USA. If I would want it to work in the USA, then I would have to go to Verizon to have it fully unlocked.
Will Verizon really unlock them domestically?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Will Verizon really unlock them domestically?
Do not know about Verizon, put nice folks at http://www.xda-developers.com/ can certainly help you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.