Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus 5 & Nexus 7.7 Coming Soon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Nexus 5 & Nexus 7.7 Coming Soon

Leaks about the specs of the newest Nexus devices are out. This article is one of many I've read that speculates on what we'll be seeing. LTE, Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, high rez HD screens, blazing quad-core Tegra 4 chips, very low price points, and several other features seem to be in the consensus. Who will be buying one of these phones or tablets?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Absolutely. I had all kinds of hopes for the Nexus 4 but the combination of unavailability in my current country of residence and a few extra flight bookings and dead router meant that my new phone budget got hit. (OTOH the new router is brilliant, so it helps)

But by the time the Nexus 5 hits, I should be in dire need of a new phone as opposed to just desperate need.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Dirt
LG again? Given the Nexus 4 supply debacle LG is making Nexus 5?

Google needs to feature one of the other handset makers like HTC, Motorola or Sony to show off their hardware. Heck even the Chinese makers like Hwawei and Oppo are releasing high end phones. Playing favoritism with Korean makers will only hurt Android in the long run.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
When is the first Google phone coming out of Google's purchase of Motorola? Will that replace the Nexus series of phones?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msb0b
This ^
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by sithjedi333
When is the first Google phone coming out of Google's purchase of Motorola? Will that replace the Nexus series of phones?
Google would alienate all other handset makers if Motorola becomes the Nexus brand. In fact, Google has been neglecting Motorola to the extent that Motorola has been bleeding money, just to maintain the appearance of fairness.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Although I've been a big proponent of high-resolution screens on laptops--and many manufacturers have finally started putting 1080p screens on 13.3" laptops ^--I think 1080p on a 5" is a tad overkill. Don't you think? I'm guessing 90% of the apps won't be scaled properly to handle that many pixels on such a tiny space.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Well, since LG's new rocking horse ---t facility, just outside of Seoul has barely produced any Nexus 4s so far, it may be a long wait for any of these new devices.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:24 pm

What a timely thread. Looks like Nexus 4 just became available for order around noon today on Google Play. https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_4_8gb

Is LG and/or Google watching us?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Consider that it might not have been LG's fault. Google places the orders. Also, be mindful that Google is essentially testing waters and trying to strongarm carriers a bit right now to better position themselves for the future. Don't put it beyond them to be playing games. They don't make money from the hardware - they make it from the traffic.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Although I've been a big proponent of high-resolution screens on laptops--and many manufacturers have finally started putting 1080p screens on 13.3" laptops ^--I think 1080p on a 5" is a tad overkill. Don't you think?
I agree, but it doesn't hurt as long as the price isn't high because of it. Apple put high rez "retina" screens in place, but then jacked up the price, cut costs elsewhere (left out GPS chips), etc. As long as Google keeps the low price point, I won't complain about the HD rez!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mooper
Consider that it might not have been LG's fault. Google places the orders.
It doesn't matter whose fault is it; it makes both companies look bad and many customers upset.

The rumor mill has been churning about the Motorola X Phone, which may become the actual Nexus 5. The rumored specs are quad core processor, 4.8 inch 1080p screen, microsd card slot, large battery, etc.

While I too think the 1080p screen is frivolous on a handheld device, the microsd slot and large capacity battery are welcomed. We should find out at Google IO event in May.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

The rumor mill has been churning about the Motorola X Phone, which may become the actual Nexus 5. The rumored specs are quad core processor, 4.8 inch 1080p screen, microsd card slot, large battery, etc.
^ ^ (Would have used a "drool" icon but don't see one.)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:00 pm

I absolutely love my Nexus 7, but the addition of a rear facing camera would be a good addition. As for the increased resolution, I don't think that adds much imo.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:52 pm

I've wondered (once or twice), what will happen when Google's naming conventions collide? The 7th Nexus phone vs the Nexus 7? The 10th Nexus phone vs. Nexus 10??
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dakuda
I've wondered (once or twice), what will happen when Google's naming conventions collide? The 7th Nexus phone vs the Nexus 7? The 10th Nexus phone vs. Nexus 10??
Names have been based upon diagonal screen size, I believe. So they'd have to either add version numbers or change up completely if they repeat the same size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.