Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Blackberry 10 Thread

Blackberry 10 Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I have just been down to the main mobile phone networks in the my area and all the display models are locked into a demo mode, which is basically follow these steps and do nothing else. So it is impossible to know what the OS is actually like and how it will work with my needs, as such I'm not sure I'm going to be an early adopter. I was admittedly going to wait for the Q10 anyway but this sucks big time. Samsung and Apple all have demo phones that aren't hobbled in the majority of the stores. Samsung actually have a test drive our products area at my nearest shopping centre and there's also an Apple store there too.

From speaking to the staff in one store, everyone is getting a hobbled one for display not good BlackBerry and I say that as a crackberry addict. The lack of BIS is also now a worry, may switch to the 9900 when I have the money to upgrade.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:54 pm
GAC
Suspended

Rumor has it that the new BB will not be able to sync with Outlook via USB and that we will lose the Delete From Server, Handset, Both feature.

If true, my 9930 will be my last BB
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by GAC
Rumor has it that the new BB will not be able to sync with Outlook via USB and that we will lose the Delete From Server, Handset, Both feature.

I can't remember the last time I synced Outlook with a USB. Possibly not this century. Not being able to delete from server would be a nonstarter for me as well. Don't know "Handset" or "Both" mean in this context.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I'm sure that since ActiveSync is supported on the new devices, even fewer people care about syncing via USB. As for the handset / server / both - I haven't heard anything about that. I set my settings to both and never had it prompt, but I could see why some folks would want to delete from the handset only.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I was going to consider a Z10, until I saw the price - 199 down + 30pm for this isn't worth it to me. I'll stick to my original plan of an S3 Mini.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:40 am

I will patiently for the wait Q10.

It will suit MY needs.

And by the way, pretty sure that there was ONE analyst who had AAPL as a sell over the summer and one analyst who had RIMM (now BBRY) as a buy. So much for online reviews/analysis.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I'm sure that since ActiveSync is supported on the new devices, even fewer people care about syncing via USB. As for the handset / server / both - I haven't heard anything about that. I set my settings to both and never had it prompt, but I could see why some folks would want to delete from the handset only.
Duh. Now I remember the Server, Handset or Both setting. I never use it either.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ScottC
From the review on The Verge:

The Android apps I tested while using the Z10 performed abysmally on the phone. Sluggish, ugly, and disconnected from the core OS. In fact, because these apps are being run in a software emulation of Android Gingerbread no less (that's version 2.3) they bear little to no relationship to the rest of the operating system. Even the tool you use to select text and the contextual menus are from another operating system! It's a terrible choice on BlackBerry's part, and one I hope the company quickly abandons. It's not a shortcut to having a lot of apps it's a shortcut to having a lot of bad apps that turn customers off.
Good news: Jelly Bean will be support "eventually". Hopefully soon.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-and...-41-jelly-bean
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I doubt the difference between GB and JB even matters. It isn't like you'll be using the android launcher, notifications, system tray - etc. As long as the virtual machine allows the app to run it's pretty much trivial. There are few apps that don't support GB right now. Maybe in the future when the features of the newer APIs become prereqs for apps running it will matter - but as of today I just don't think it does.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you want to run Android apps, why wouldn't you just get an Android phone in the first place?

What does this offer over an Android phone, other than an inferior experience for running Android apps? Apparently the native apps. aren't that great either or they wouldn't be offering Android emulation.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:45 am

wco81,

I'm not sure exactly why you're here. It looks to me like you're bringing your BlackBerry hate to a thread about BB10 to try and prove something - but if you actually want the answer for a reason other than to stir up crap, I'll gladly give it. I have an Android phone. I have had two other Android phones since leaving my three Blackberries. I have even tried an iOS device. The Android is certainly nice in that it has a much wider selection of apps - but the Blackberry is the best device for people who need full power communication with a keyboard. Some of us value that above all else. tlking to my custs wo caps and punctuation is not gr8. I have used iOS. I have used SwiftKey. I have used Swype. I want my BlackBerry 9930 back. Now, for many people who use their phones to watch videos and play games the BlackBerry isn't ideal. For those of us who can bang out a three paragraph email with proper capitalization, case, and use of precise terms no auto-predict would be sufficient for - that industry best keyboard plus a quick and efficient emphasis on communication can't be replaced.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by GAC

Well I'd love to be able to say I could check at a store for you but obviously given what I wrote in my post above, I can't.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
wco81,

I'm not sure exactly why you're here. It looks to me like you're bringing your BlackBerry hate to a thread about BB10 to try and prove something - but if you actually want the answer for a reason other than to stir up crap, I'll gladly give it. I have an Android phone. I have had two other Android phones since leaving my three Blackberries. I have even tried an iOS device. The Android is certainly nice in that it has a much wider selection of apps - but the Blackberry is the best device for people who need full power communication with a keyboard. Some of us value that above all else. tlking to my custs wo caps and punctuation is not gr8. I have used iOS. I have used SwiftKey. I have used Swype. I want my BlackBerry 9930 back. Now, for many people who use their phones to watch videos and play games the BlackBerry isn't ideal. For those of us who can bang out a three paragraph email with proper capitalization, case, and use of precise terms no auto-predict would be sufficient for - that industry best keyboard plus a quick and efficient emphasis on communication can't be replaced.
+1 to all of that ^
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sorry, just trying to understand what the touchscreen model offers.

I can understand the appeal of the keyboard model, since that's the form factor that attracted a lot of people and earned their loyalty.

But my understanding is that BB is prioritizing the touchscreen model, to better compete against the other smartphones.

It would be a good thing to have a third or fourth platform besides iOS and Android. I can understand how MS has differentiated WP but unless keyboard phones are their main strategy, I'm not sure what BB's ploy is.

Maybe if BB underprices iPhone and Android phones for comparable software experience, they can gain some traction.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:19 pm

The touchscreen model is complicated. I'm not interested in it one bit. BB believes they can make a device with better text input, prediction, and integrated communications than the other touchscreen players. I wish them the best of luck, but I don't care to consider another glass slab device.

As a second avenue, though, I have to wonder if BlackBerry can capitalize on frustrations with the other players. Windows Mobile has been around longer and has some interesting features, but they don't even have an inferior option for running Android apps. I think BB may be able to poach some Windows Mobile users with that capability. iOS is stagnant. I don't see any evolution of the workflow other than finally improving the horrendous notification system. It is still a bunch of icons on the home screen centered experience. On the Android side, that OS is not without its faults. Honestly - of the mobile operating systems I have used Android is the one that gives me the most buggy experience to this day. BB10 is built on a solid, scalable QNX operating system - and if they can show themselves as a smooth running alternative to the majors with a thoughtful user interface with unique time saving features I hope people will look their way. I don't have high aspirations for them becoming a big player in the image-conscious market. If you see a fashionable 20-something girl you can bet she has an iPhone for reasons that have nothing to do with functionality. That's not going to be BlackBerry's market. But for those who are looking for a functional alternative to the big two just might give the new OS a shot.

That's all unfounded BS and you can take it at that value. As I said - for me it's all about the keyboard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.