Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated]: Luggage Tracking Solutions (was: Trakdot to help you track your...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated]: Luggage Tracking Solutions (was: Trakdot to help you track your...)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:30 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
It was nice to know that my bag made it to my destination before I did and I didn't have to stand and wait for all the bags to unload.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Help - no green light !

I used my Trakdot in December, and it worked well ...

A few weeks ago I handed it over to my sister at LHR ... I didn't see a green light come on ... but assumed I must just have missed it ... but it never registered landing in CMB, so I guess it never did connect to the network.

She's now in CMB and has replaced the batteries ... but it still won't connect to the network

She has tried turning it off and on again ... I've tried looking for advice on the Trakdot website (but can't find anything particularly useful) ... does anybody have any ideas for getting it to work ?!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Started great, but now not so much

As indicated in my post above, I had a pretty good experience with my Trakdot over the past six months, but for the past few weeks it's been a pretty worthless piece of junk.

Recently flew LAX-ICN-SIN-SUB. The device registered at LAX and then failed to register at ICN and SIN and registered at SUB but only once I was pulling out of the airport with my bag in my car. Not very helpful.

It also failed to register in SIN again while in transit the following week flying from SUB-SIN-FCO, and again in SIN flying FCO-SIN-SUB, it did register in SUB on both occasions. It has also failed to register at MLE this month.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by gpeso8
As indicated in my post above, I had a pretty good experience with my Trakdot over the past six months, but for the past few weeks it's been a pretty worthless piece of junk.

Recently flew LAX-ICN-SIN-SUB. The device registered at LAX and then failed to register at ICN and SIN and registered at SUB but only once I was pulling out of the airport with my bag in my car. Not very helpful.

It also failed to register in SIN again while in transit the following week flying from SUB-SIN-FCO, and again in SIN flying FCO-SIN-SUB, it did register in SUB on both occasions. It has also failed to register at MLE this month.
really poor performance - i wonder if there is a general Trakdot outage.

of course Trakdot doesn't work in South Korea or Japan, so ICN isn't a surprise.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by gpeso8

Just an update, I flew SUB-SIN-TPE-LAX late last week. The device registered at all airports and updated quickly upon arrival into each airport. I'm going to chalk the experience I had in March to being perhaps a network issue. I'm a satisfied customer again. ^
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
TravelTagg App / Device??

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread, I couldn't find anything obviously relevant when searching.

Has anyone tried TravelTag? I can't work out if it is real or not, and I can't find reviews anywhere!

Thanks

Last edited by Accidental Scientist; Apr 13, 2016 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: SPG (S), Marriott
What baggage tracking solution do you use?

Hello FT'ers,
I haven't been to find consistent research out there on leading RFID/mobile tagging solutions, especially across mobile platforms and airports.

Some airlines (Lufthansa) are doing innovative things:
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...k-bags-in-2016

Do these actually work?
With baggage delivery guarantees for some airlines e.g. Alaska (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...guarantee.aspx) what would a traveler do with this beyond, "Hey...my bag is in Toyko right now/my bag is 5 mins away" cool technology factor?

What solutions do you use and why?

#curious
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I have no need for "cool technology factor". When I very rarely check a bag, I hand it over and then pick it up at the other end. I can't recall losing/delaying a bag in 20+ years.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:36 pm

Wow - you are one of the chosen ones never to have lost a bag in 20+ years!
It is an emerging need...as the trust factor towards airlines and bags is lower, and folks want to improve the sense of control with knowing where their bags are at any given moment.

According to this report, things are getting better: https://skift.com/2015/03/26/not-los...illion-richer/

Some stats :

69% of airlines said they would provide passengers with real-time updates on the location of their bags by 2017.
66% are looking to provide these updates via smartphone apps by 2017.
18% of airlines already offer passengers the ability to report missing bags via self-service kiosks and 10% via smartphone apps.
By 2017, nearly two-thirds of airlines expect to offer these services.

#interesting
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:52 pm
Suspended

I don't really see either the utility or cost benefit factor in having some solution track my bag. I don't see how it would benefit me in any way.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:04 pm

Greetings! Am surprised at the first couple of responses. I thought power travelers would be one of the first adopters to this tech.
Looking forward to hearing what others think. I think it's a better approach in the scenario where your bag gets lost, vs. when it gets tracked.

It reminds me of the flight tracker on airlines - does it really help to see where the airline is, or it really just calming psychologically to know your airline is somewhere nearby?
It's apparently one of the most popular screens used on airlines. People really like this. I wonder whether knowing exactly where your bags are in the world will be the same.
Then again, if the bags are lost, that may be the winning scenario where this is used.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Never had a lost bag in 30+ years of independent travel. Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I use the TrakDot - there's a great thread about it with experiences here
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: Alaska
Luggage Tracker- your experience?

Those of you using luggage trackers like LugLoc, TrakDot, Tile, and others, I'd love to hear your experiences with them, especially for overseas travel involving multiple airports before reaching ultimate destination. Trying to decide if this is worth spending the $$ on.

We are going to Italy in October on Emirates from PDX>LAX>DXB>FCO, all in First or Business.

Thanks!

MBD
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:06 am

I have 2 of the LugLoc devices. They work well using the cell phone system. They won't pinpoint your bag like others that use the GPS system. The LugLoc will tell you if your bag made it to the city you are flying to. It does have a Bluetooth function that will ping when your bag is close; I have not used this function. In any case they have different subscriptions depending on your travel. Battery life is amazing, lasting more than a week. Only complaint is that the on off switch is recessed and does not have markings to tell if it is on or off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.