Last edit by: gfunkdave
There's a thread discussing Thai prepaid SIM cards in the Thailand forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/666503-pre-paid-sim-card-buy.html
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Platinum / Marriott - Platinum Premier / Starwood - Platinum Preferred
Prepaid SIM - Thailand

I just unlocked my iPhone 5 so that I could use it on an upcoming trip to Thailand. I'm assuming the best route is to purchase a prepaid SIM card once I get to Thailand. Does anyone know which local carriers I could use with my AT&T (GSM based) iPhone. Or any other additional helpful information. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Head over to the Thailand subforum, plenty of info there.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:14 pm

This tells you all you need to know
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...-card-buy.html
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: HA, UA, DL, HHonors, Hyatt, Chase
be sure to keep in mind that the iphone5 uses nano sim, which is relatively rare. be prepared to cut up the sim, if you can't find a nano sim for sale.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
I just returned from Thailand and had no problem using an AIS sim in my AT&T iPhone 5.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you share any details re: your destinations in Thailand, your budget, requirements, usage, mobile data, length of stay, etc. More details can yield a better recommendation.

Nano SIMs are generally available although not as widely available as standard and uSIMs. You might have to go to a service providers shop rather than just any of the 22 million phone shops. The three major service providers all have plenty of shops, including ones at Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Aiport (BKK), just outside Customs, on level 2 (the same level you arrive on).

All three major service providers: DTAC/Happy, AIS/One-2-Call and TrueMove H offer comprehensive pre-paid voice, text and mobile broadband (3G) data with monthly, weekly and daily plans available. Some plans offer unlimited internet usage, with fair-use cap speeds of 128/256/384 Kbps. (TrueMove H may have to program nano SIMs in a full service shop.)

Any unlocked GSM capable phone which can accept a SIM (of any size) will work here in Thailand. The AT&T iPhone 5 would work with any of these 3 providers.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: MileagePLUS Premier Gold, Skywards Gold and Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Originally Posted by scoy
be sure to keep in mind that the iphone5 uses nano sim, which is relatively rare. be prepared to cut up the sim, if you can't find a nano sim for sale.
At just about any shop you can have a regular sim cut to micro size that will fit in to your Iphone.

Regards,

Kurt
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by kbelyeu
At just about any shop you can have a regular sim cut to micro size that will fit in to your Iphone.
Nano != micro, and I was under the impression that nano-sims were thinner and could not simply be cut out. You can certainly do that for micro-sims for the 4/4S and various other non-Apple phones.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
I am heading out to Chiang Mai on Saturday. Leaving for SIN tomorrow and then onwards to BKK, and CM.

I am assuming that I can buy the Happy Tourist Sim Card at BKK airport and use it in my Samsung Galaxy S4?

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to these things, sorry! I did research on the web and seem to think this is the easiest card to use.

But, thought I'd ask the real experts here on FT!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Head over to the Thailand subforum, plenty of info there.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...-card-buy.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...-thailand.html

Moderator may want to merge the sub-forums?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Nano != micro, and I was under the impression that nano-sims were thinner and could not simply be cut out. You can certainly do that for micro-sims for the 4/4S and various other non-Apple phones.
They are technically slightly thinner but I've had success with cut-down SIMs in an iPhone and a Samsung phone.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
I am assuming that I can buy the Happy Tourist Sim Card at BKK airport and use it in my Samsung Galaxy S4?
Yep, S4 is micro-SIM so no problem as long as it's unlocked and has the right bands.

If it's a US-carrier branded S4, it will have the right band (850mhz) for 3G service on DTAC regardless of the carrier. Ditto for the international factory-unlocked models (GT-I9500, GT-I9505.) For carrier-locked ones from outside the US, most have it but it's worth checking more specifically.

If the line is bad at DTAC in the arrivals hall, you can also use TrueMove; AIS uses a different frequency (900mhz) which is less often supported for 3G on North American phones.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
There is 2100MHz 3G service in Thailand now. AIS and DTAC offer it; not sure about True.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/help/faq/node/644
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by scoy
I've seen mobile stores in developing countries that have a metal cutter for sim to micro sim. It's pretty neat.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerhog
I've seen mobile stores in developing countries that have a metal cutter for sim to micro sim. It's pretty neat.
You can buy them on eBay as well. I have one. It works pretty well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.