Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just an update - my Monoprice 21W charger that everyone seems to love is being stupid.

Even when it's just my solitary single Android phone on there, it doesn't matter what side the USB is plugged in to (Apple or Other), it barely keeps a charge, much less adds power.

The stock OnePlus charger for my phone is destroying it and it puts out a mere 1A according to the writing on the side.

Has anyone else seen this?
Old May 16, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Just an update - my Monoprice 21W charger that everyone seems to love is being stupid.

Even when it's just my solitary single Android phone on there, it doesn't matter what side the USB is plugged in to (Apple or Other), it barely keeps a charge, much less adds power.

The stock OnePlus charger for my phone is destroying it and it puts out a mere 1A according to the writing on the side.

Has anyone else seen this?
All 3 of my Monoprice chargers are working like champs, and they have been very well battle tested at this point. Sounds to me like you've got a bad unit...or at least one that has worn out. It wouldn't stop me from buying a Monoprice again. My experience has been that it's a great value for the money I paid. And it's small, rectangular shape makes it very easy to travel with.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Have people found chargers with cords to be advantageous over those that plug in directly, possibly covering up other outlets?

Also, is the Anker IQ ports worth getting so you don't have to worry about which port to use for which device?
Old May 23, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
Have people found chargers with cords to be advantageous over those that plug in directly, possibly covering up other outlets?

Also, is the Anker IQ ports worth getting so you don't have to worry about which port to use for which device?
I'm a big fan of Anker's iQ charger. Nice just plugging USB devices in without having to worry about whether you've used the right port. I also like the cord. As you note, you don't cover the entire outlet, and in a lot of hotel rooms overseas, I find it easier to reach the sole outlet in my room that could be located well under the bed. I even use the need for a cord to my advantage. I used a figure-8 cord with a UK plug on my recent trip to Ireland and just ordered a Euro plug for my trip this fall to Italy.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm starting to run into fake Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 chargers. Very disappointing to see relatively high profile sellers on Amazon sell chargers that are very clearly not compliant, yet were labeled with the Qualcomm certification.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:14 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Hey guys - just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for an international multi-port USB charger? I have a bunch of different gizmos already, but I want something that requires only one plug into the wall, and then give me 4 or 5 high-speed smart USB ports (all for iOS devices mostly). I'm thinking, as above, that it would be better to have the cable between the plug point and USB box, so I only need to carry shorter USB cables.

From this thread, I ordered the Boise box, and now have 3 of those for home and work. I basically want something similar for travel, but with the added benefit of international plug ports (like a swap in/out front end).

Any recommendations? Or advice on what you use?

Cheers,
JK
Old May 28, 2015, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Thanks to the advice and experiences in this thread I just ordered the monoprice charger ^
Old May 28, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
I'm starting to run into fake Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 chargers. Very disappointing to see relatively high profile sellers on Amazon sell chargers that are very clearly not compliant, yet were labeled with the Qualcomm certification.
Specific brands to avoid? I just bought a car charger from Amazon and it seems legit. My Note 4 popped up and notified me of the fact I was connected to an adaptive charger.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robroy90
Specific brands to avoid? I just bought a car charger from Amazon and it seems legit. My Note 4 popped up and notified me of the fact I was connected to an adaptive charger.
Getwow and Aukey.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:46 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Does anyone know of a cool IEC C7 (fig 8) cable that comes with international plug points, or quick interchangeable plates? Basically want something compact to travel with.

Intending to use this in conjunction with the Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger.

Cheers
Old May 29, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JK
Does anyone know of a cool IEC C7 (fig 8) cable that comes with international plug points, or quick interchangeable plates? Basically want something compact to travel with.

Intending to use this in conjunction with the Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger.

Cheers
Bit bulky, but something like this?

Amazon Amazon
Old May 29, 2015, 8:46 am
JK

Bit bulky, but something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-TK-ST3...+international
Thanks ScottC, that would potentially work. Surely though, there must be something a little more slick and slim out there? Otherwise, it might just be better to use the fig-8 cable that comes with the unit, along with a SKROSS style intl adapter. Is that what most of you folks are doing?
Old May 29, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have multiple figure 8 cables with plugs for country/regions that I need to use power. I find that simpler, cheaper and more compact than a good wall plug adapter.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:53 am
JK

Originally Posted by tentseller
I have multiple figure 8 cables with plugs for country/regions that I need to use power. I find that simpler, cheaper and more compact than a good wall plug adapter.
Very good point, thank you. Going to do exactly this - seems most logical, compact, and likely cheapest too (though I'd gladly pay a premium for one cable that covers all regions, nicely).
Old May 29, 2015, 11:11 am

Getwow and Aukey.
Well that's just great. I just bought:

Amazon Amazon

And it seems to be working so far, my Note 4 recognized it as a "fast" charger with a pop-up window I could dismiss. It seems to work as advertised. Perhaps even if a knock-off/not really certified it is a clone that works just the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.