Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Enthilza
How the hell was I unable to find this thread when I was looking for a new charger/adapter ?? Would have saved me days of browsing/reading/comparing....

I ended up buying this aLLreli charger for 16Euros. I searched this thread and didn't find it mentioned (I apologize if I miised it in one of the many links I didn't click) so I decided to post.

I have only tested the euro plug (will test the brit one in the upcoming weeks and will report if there is anything wrong) but so far I really like it. I can't compare with any previous ones to see if it's faster or lighter but it's compact enought to fit in a small gizmo bag and its set of international plugs is a nice feature. And with over 6A, it charged everything I've thrown at it so far. Might not be the best of the block but its worth checking out.
That does look good and is a bit like the ANKER powerport 5 (sorry no link, hard to do with phone here, but see earlier posts about it). I bought one of those because, while it had a US plug, it is on a chord. And I like chords because often times outlets dont give you enough room to plug bulky devices into. With a Chord you can add a converter and plug it in.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Enthilza
How the hell was I unable to find this thread when I was looking for a new charger/adapter ?? Would have saved me days of browsing/reading/comparing....

I ended up buying this aLLreli charger for 16Euros. I searched this thread and didn't find it mentioned (I apologize if I missed it in one of the many links I didn't click) so I decided to post.

I have only tested the euro plug (will test the brit one in the upcoming weeks and will report if there is anything wrong) but so far I really like it. I can't compare with any previous ones to see if it's faster or lighter but it's compact enought to fit in a small gizmo bag and its set of international plugs is a nice feature. And with over 6A, it charged everything I've thrown at it so far. Might not be the best of the block but its worth checking out.
Had a unit very similar but marketed by another retailer several years ago. Liked the idea in theory but it worked poorly for me in the real world. Although my unit did not deliver the power of this unit (that just wasn't available a couple of years ago), the weaknesses had nothing to do with that. If loose sockets provide problems for a small plug, those problems increase when you plug a bigger unit like this in. Add in the USB cords that get tugged on--it was a frequent occurrence that the unit would not stay plugged in. The interchangeable international plugs only exacerbated the problem, providing a second connection that could jiggle as well.

In addition, the size of the plug increased problems faced with tight spaces. A lot of the sockets I've found in European hotel rooms are located very close to baseboards, meaning that sometimes I couldn't get the unit to stay flat against the wall as the lower edge of the plug encountered interference from the baseboard. And flipping the plug upside down increased the instability of the unit if there was already a loose plug. Not to mention the issues of having to reach under a bed or desk to plug in my phone or tablet.

I really wanted it to work for me because the space savings are obvious, but the practicalities became a concern within a trip or two.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I love how this thread has evolved. In just three years, we've gone from a single retailer with a four port high power charger, to 100's of different chargers, battery packs and more.

Incredible evolution - all thanks to the lousy battery life of our gadgets
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ScottC
I love how this thread has evolved. In just three years, we've gone from a single retailer with a four port high power charger, to 100's of different chargers, battery packs and more.

Incredible evolution - all thanks to the lousy battery life of our gadgets
Or the constant use we put them too.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Had a unit very similar but marketed by another retailer several years ago. Liked the idea in theory but it worked poorly for me in the real world. Although my unit did not deliver the power of this unit (that just wasn't available a couple of years ago), the weaknesses had nothing to do with that. If loose sockets provide problems for a small plug, those problems increase when you plug a bigger unit like this in. Add in the USB cords that get tugged on--it was a frequent occurrence that the unit would not stay plugged in. The interchangeable international plugs only exacerbated the problem, providing a second connection that could jiggle as well.
It was a concern for me as well based on my experience with a round bulky adapter I previously used and which had indeed a tendency to unplug easily. But I don't have this problem with this one. The weight actually lies at 90 degrees from the plug itself and pretty close to it so it never unplugged unexpectedly. If the plug itself was very loose it might be an issue but if it were that loose I wouldn't risk plugging anything anyway.

In addition, the size of the plug increased problems faced with tight spaces. A lot of the sockets I've found in European hotel rooms are located very close to baseboards, meaning that sometimes I couldn't get the unit to stay flat against the wall as the lower edge of the plug encountered interference from the baseboard. And flipping the plug upside down increased the instability of the unit if there was already a loose plug. Not to mention the issues of having to reach under a bed or desk to plug in my phone or tablet.

I really wanted it to work for me because the space savings are obvious, but the practicalities became a concern within a trip or two.
That might indeed be a problem (baseboard I mean) but I'm willing to risk this on a few rare occasions and save spaces (no cord) in my gizmo bag. But YMMV of course.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I don't recall seeing this charger mentioned in this thread so far, but as far as I'm concerned there is a new frontrunner in the travel wall charger arena:

Anker 40W 4 port with folding prongs Anker 40W 4 port with folding prongs

Smallest 4 port charger yet that can actually deliver 2.4 amps per port (8 amps overall with simultaneous charging). Built-in surge protector, current stabilizer, temp. control, and 18 month warranty.

I think it's time to update the wiki.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Whoops. There it is already in the Wiki.

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I don't recall seeing this charger mentioned in this thread so far, but as far as I'm concerned there is a new frontrunner in the travel wall charger arena:

Anker 40W 4 port with folding prongs

Smallest 4 port charger yet that can actually deliver 2.4 amps per port (8 amps overall with simultaneous charging). Built-in surge protector, current stabilizer, temp. control, and 18 month warranty.

I think it's time to update the wiki.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by thegasguru

Anker 40W 4 port with folding prongs

Can anyone recommend one in a similar form factor with (at least) one Quick Charger 2.0 port?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Can anyone recommend one in a similar form factor with (at least) one Quick Charger 2.0 port?
Anker works great for me...

but what is a quick charger port?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amazon Amazon

This is my current favorite. I use it with the Samsung 1 to 3 Micro USB cable, essentially making it a 5 port charger. The Samsung cable can provide around 750mAh to each device when on a 2.1A port, which is fine for smaller devices.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Anker works great for me...

but what is a quick charger port?
It is for devices with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 technology. These devices can be charged with 5/9/12 volts, which means I can charge my phone from dead to 80% in around 45 minutes.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Desktop-...arge+2.0&psc=1

This is my current favorite. I use it with the Samsung 1 to 3 Micro USB cable, essentially making it a 5 port charger. The Samsung cable can provide around 750mAh to each device when on a 2.1A port, which is fine for smaller devices.
Thank you.

The charger is currently $11.49 with coupon code 8ETPFP7M.

The Samsung cable is OMGexpensive, so I found another one with really good reviews for $10.

Amazon Amazon

Edited to add: I decided to cancel my order. I have no real need for QC2 in my home. 2A charges relatively fast, and if I need an additional boost, I could use a QC2 car charger to charge the phone on the way to where ever I'm going. Now I need a good deal on a 2-port QC2 car charger...

Last edited by pseudoswede; Nov 3, 2015 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I need a good deal on a 2-port QC2 car charger...
$10.99 with code 8NU7GJNG

Amazon Amazon
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those of you who want a desktop charger with Quickcharge 2.0, Amazon has a Tronsmart 90W Q2 charger for $24 with promo code 5USBPORT.

I don't know anything about the brand, just thought some would be interested.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a 2-port Tronsmart QC2 charger in my car. It was cheap. My phones detect QC. Win in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.