Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Hey, my fellow tech-nerds...

THIS IS NOT MY KICKSTARTER, and I have no affiliation whatsoever with the company. But - I know this will be of interest to some of us.

The OctoFire 8 Port USB 3.0 Hub with Rapid Charging (96 Watts - 2.4Amps per port simultaneoously.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...id-charging-96

Enjoy.
On Amazon they are up to 7 outlets already.

However I found carrying two 4 ports units easier to deal with at home, office and on the road.
Having 8 devices hooked up: where are you going to put them all?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Hey, my fellow tech-nerds...

THIS IS NOT MY KICKSTARTER, and I have no affiliation whatsoever with the company. But - I know this will be of interest to some of us.

The OctoFire 8 Port USB 3.0 Hub with Rapid Charging (96 Watts - 2.4Amps per port simultaneoously.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...id-charging-96

Enjoy.
I did the kickstarter for the original Octofire. It is a great product, but very bulky. Definitely not a travel friendly accessory.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tentseller
On Amazon they are up to 7 outlets already.

However I found carrying two 4 ports units easier to deal with at home, office and on the road.
Having 8 devices hooked up: where are you going to put them all?
Up to 8, at least, it seems

http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-High-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Doesn't look particularly travel-friendly, though. Seems more like the kind of thing you'd keep in a meeting room.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:43 pm

This is time tested and slightly cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
This is time tested and slightly cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is my current favorite. Works very well, but not very suitable for travel.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
That is my current favorite. Works very well, but not very suitable for travel.
Agree.
For travel, the most compact/versatile/price is still the monoprice device, IMHO
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
Agree.
For travel, the most compact/versatile/price is still the monoprice device, IMHO
I really like it - and it'll shut down if you try to overload it.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Newegg has the Anker for $18.99!

http://slickdeals.net/f/7681134-anke...ing-newegg-com
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:59 pm

10 auto-sensing ports, 12 amps, $23, free shipping

Not sure if this is wiki-worthy, but an Amazon seller has a 12 amp Sabrent 10 port USB charger for $23 using the promo code SWTPCS23. Looks pretty sweet; all the ports automatically detect the load of the device (e.g. 1 amp vs. 2 amp). I think only ScottC could really make use of all 10 ports at once though...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by boberonicus
I think only ScottC could really make use of all 10 ports at once though...
He's probably at a point where he'd need to buy two.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:09 pm

I am a little concerned (but not much) about the new USB 3.1 plug. I have all these USB 3.0 chargers (including 4 anker 40W). In a couple years, I might have to replace them. OK, maybe in like 4 years.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not sure if this is wiki-worthy, but an Amazon seller has a 12 amp Sabrent 10 port USB charger for $23 using the promo code SWTPCS23. Looks pretty sweet; all the ports automatically detect the load of the device (e.g. 1 amp vs. 2 amp). I think only ScottC could really make use of all 10 ports at once though...
Sadly quite true actually. For long trips, I have 19 USB gadgets to charge
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
He's probably at a point where he'd need to buy two.
I'm a sucker and ordered one...LOL!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dakuda
I am a little concerned (but not much) about the new USB 3.1 plug. I have all these USB 3.0 chargers (including 4 anker 40W). In a couple years, I might have to replace them. OK, maybe in like 4 years.
We'll need to wait and see. Lightning didn't take off outside the Apple world, and neither did Thunderbolt (which was offered outside Apple).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:00 am

Sabrent 10 port update

Not sure if this is wiki-worthy, but an Amazon seller has a 12 amp Sabrent 10 port USB charger for $23 using the promo code SWTPCS23. Looks pretty sweet; all the ports automatically detect the load of the device (e.g. 1 amp vs. 2 amp).
My order arrived, plugged in and for some strange reason, every device worked except for the apply 30 pin usb cable for older iPads and iPhone 4s. I tried 3 different cables, both at home and in office and not one initiated a charge

Anyone else have this device as I like the setup. Was hoping to keep at office and use the spare ports for colleagues needing a quick charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.