Home Automation

Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by gj83
Yes, that's correct. So when someone leaves everything in the house shuts off. Then when I'm there to clean I can set the coffee pot to off so the next time someone checks in I will turn everything on and the thermostat to an acceptable temperature so then can use the coffee pot whenever they are ready.
Ah, that makes sense. I was thinking you were going to turn it off at a certain time each day and then turn it on again in the morning.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Any recommendations for someone who is not interested in DIY? We want to get an outdoor camera or two to keep an eye on our pool, and are interested in expanding that to a larger home automation / alarm system for an existing home.

Our current system consists of three analog light timers - LOL. We could use an upgrade.
You can hire home automation companies to come in and do the setup for you. That said, I'd strongly urge you to make sure they are using one of the standard protocols -- stuff that works with Zwave, Zigbee, etc. -- so that you're not permanently tied to any one company.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just bought a TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh system with built-in Zigbee hub. The main purpose is to install some water leak sensors which will push a notification as well as send an e-mail and text message. Based on my needs, I think I need 16 sensors.

Besides the Samsung SmartThings water sensors, are there any others that I should be considering? When I look on Amazon, it seems like all other sensors (1) require a separate hub, which then connects to the main hub and (2) is limited to 5-10 sensors per hub. I don't want an additional hub (or two or three). I just want to connect them directly to my Deco M9.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use a SmartThings sensor and it works well. I forgot I had it until I got an alert. When I went to the basement I found the sensor in a puddle of water under the leaking boiler valve...
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I just bought a TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh system with built-in Zigbee hub. The main purpose is to install some water leak sensors which will push a notification as well as send an e-mail and text message. Based on my needs, I think I need 16 sensors.

Besides the Samsung SmartThings water sensors, are there any others that I should be considering? When I look on Amazon, it seems like all other sensors (1) require a separate hub, which then connects to the main hub and (2) is limited to 5-10 sensors per hub. I don't want an additional hub (or two or three). I just want to connect them directly to my Deco M9.
Look into Home Assistant. IMO. Home Assistant is by far the best free open source home automation platform (but there are others too). I don't like to be tied into any one companies ecosystem. I've got lighting devices connected from at least 4 manufacturers. They also have lots of add-ins like Node Red which is great for slightly more complex automations.

https://home-assistant.io/
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
16 sensors with build in WiFi seems over kill. You could get 16 dumb sensors (the ones that just make alarm sounds), and then a smart alarm audio detector. My Wyze cam could detect Smoke Alarm and CO Alarm sounds. It could probably detect water leak alarm.. not sure though. Have a few cams around the house, you could just remotely check to see if there is smoke, or water, etc...
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Any Insteon Smarthome users on here? I have been looking for a discount subscription, but if I cannot find one, is there a credit card that might rebate 5% on this service?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.