Wiki Posts
Search

Kayak Trips vs. TripIt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont
Kayak Trips vs. TripIt

I'm starting to travel a lot now, and I've been looking into different Android Apps to save my itineraries,hotels, etc. Would like to know what you guys use / prefer, and why?

Any reviews for Kayak Trips, and Tripit? Should I look into another app that is better?

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Tripit Pro is well worth it. One place to keep all your travel info. Easy import of your reservations. Flight tracking and alternate flight info.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by jalves
Tripit Pro is well worth it. One place to keep all your travel info. Easy import of your reservations. Flight tracking and alternate flight info.
yup. tripit is great.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM; Marriott Gold Elite; Hyatt Platinum
Thumbs up TripIt rocks

I'm a huge fan of TripIt. It scans my gmail account for confirmation emails, and I just forward flight, hotel, care rental, etc. confirmation emails sent to other accounts (eg work email) and voila! Integrates with Outlook calendar (but in its own calendar rather than my default). Still using the free version but considering the upgrade to Pro. The version I have installed still looks up flight status, a feature that was apparently disabled in a recent software update. (Good lesson about reading the reviews before updating apps.)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:20 am

I use Kayak. I love it.

I just forward whatever itinerary I receive to [email protected] and it updates and collates all the information for me. It includes a calendar feed and sends out emails about flight stats.

Plus I can pull up all my data on the go.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've been using TripIt for years. Have it on the iPad and iPhone but mostly use the website through a desktop to build up my itineraries. Not just hotels and flights but custom notes and custom maps. It lets you attach photos and screenshots to any event.

However, they recently rolled out a new version where they display attachments only as thumbnails. So when you print, you don't get the attachments printed out at full size.

Really a bad loss of functionality and I'm not sure why they even went to the new format. Don't really see any benefits.

Now, if you can cache itineraries on your devices so that you can view all of it without an Internet connection, which is often going to be the case overseas, then I could work around the printing limitation.

But as it is, all these detailed itineraries from my past trips, I've converted to PDF to save on my own devices, in case the service goes away or they do incomprehensible things like take features away.

I looked at other sites, like Kayak, Orbitz, Expedia and Worldmate so far. They all let you forward emails and automatically enter that info. Some let you edit and add events manually. But so far, NONE of these other services let you attach screens and print them out.

Then there are services which will auto-populate a custom guide with places you might want to visit. Stay.com is one example. But that's just letting you pick blocks of places with boiler plate info and not letting you customize.

Plus all these services seem to want you to connect to a social network, use a FB login. I don't know, people who blab about their vacations are as boring as those who always shows you pictures of their children or vacations.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:19 am

It would be interesting to hear from someone that has actually tried both services. I was so happy when TripIt arrived that I'm staying with something that works. I continue to be impressed with the quality of their itinerary-eating software. There aren't many things I can throw at it that it doesn't understand.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:48 am

I've used both. I had tripit-pro through amex, and when they cancelled it, I decided I would try kayak for a few trips. Here is a summary: both about equal in submitting the trip data and understanding it and putting it into an understandable form (you basically just email the flights/hotels etc confirmations) - tripit probably has a slight edge as it automatically scans my gmail account. But where tripit pro shined (and I reluctantantly forked over the annual fee) was keeping me up to date on flight delays/changes. Tripit pro seemed to txt me before either kayak had figured it out, and many times even before the airline sent me info about delays/changes. Seems like these days that almost all flights are delayed (and more so during the winter due to the weather), so that is important to me. I also like the alternate flight info, if a flight is really delayed or cancelled.

So, if time is important to you, then go with tripit. Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have used tripit pro for years. I started using worldmate as it is just as good and does not cost $60.00 a year. I have never tried Kayak for day of flight Information only to look up flights that I need to take.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by powerlifter
I have used tripit pro for years. I started using worldmate as it is just as good and does not cost $60.00 a year. I have never tried Kayak for day of flight Information only to look up flights that I need to take.
I also switchec to Worldmate whe Tripit had a CC processing error and kicked me out of pro.

Worldmate is generally just as good, but lately the notifications have been poor. Whe I first signed up, they'd come long before the airline would announce things, but lately WM notices come late, if at all. Anyone else experience the same thing?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I have TripIt Pro but it just does not import accurately any more. So I used (in parallel) TripIt, Worldmate and TripCase.

Worldmate imports best. You can get their Gold service for just booking hotels/cars or about $10/year.

TripCase is offering their premium service free until the end of this year.

All the updates were slow. But I like Worldmate and the way it updates me.

TripCase has the best info in the app. No need for updates. But it does not import well unless you use Sabre. You cannot update seats etc after the initial load.

So starting in the new year, I delete the others and go with Worldmate only. TripIt Pro is too expensive and clunky now.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:44 am
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
I've used Worldmate for years and love it. It's a bargain to have gold for $10 yr. The updates and flight status etc, get to me before the airlines do.
And Worldmate Gold DOES allow for printing and/or saving and it stores all past info in a separate tab.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by njxbean
yup. tripit is great.
+1 for TripIt too.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Used Tripit for years and loved it. Unfortunately, the next trip to Europe has been FUBAR. Every hotel reservation, all Hilton properties, would not be entered. Same thing happened to the Viator bookings. All were forwarded from my iPad.

This also happened a month ago on a London trip.

I reported the problem and got the canned response about format change, etc.

Unless they fix this, they may lose a customer.

Cheers
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by k2o
I've used Worldmate for years and love it. It's a bargain to have gold for $10 yr. The updates and flight status etc, get to me before the airlines do.
And Worldmate Gold DOES allow for printing and/or saving and it stores all past info in a separate tab.
+1 for Worldmate Gold. I switched from Tripit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.