Reload this Page >

Kayak Trips vs. TripIt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kayak Trips vs. TripIt

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:38 am

As much as I have frustrations with TripIt, I do need to give them kudos on the Points tracker.

Theirs is the only points tracking system that continues to track my Delta Skymiles balance while all the others have ceased working (due to Delta stopping them).

TripIt did a smart thing... they pickup my Delta balance from my Amex accounts page which shows the balance in the skymiles account which is linked to a Delta Amex. It doesnt show transactions, but at least the balance is tracked.

Last edited by lewinr; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:44 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I keep finding new things that annoy me in TripIt. Some examples;

It auto-imported an itinerary with AA that was "on hold". Surely they should know not to import held plans?

It keeps sending out refund warnings on Virgin America MCS (premium Y) thinking it is booked in Y. Usually 20 minutes after it imports a trip with MCS, I'll get an email telling me I can get 100's back (which of course isn't the case).

I've forwarded some issues to them, but they feel like they just brush them off.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
So basically, none of these pay services work well all the time. Worldmate has screwed up my itineraries for the last time and I'm dropping them. Tripit is apparently no better. Too bad.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Long time TripIt Pro uber fan, but reading this thread makes me coordinate my recent frustrations with an apparent buy out to new management. Seemed to be changing things for the worse. Somethings working less well, but I have loved it. Will try the others now.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
After many years of using Tripit, I deleted it and now use My trips on Kayak. Works fine with everything I throw at it.

Nothing like a company buying another and then proceeding to totally ruin the old company by introducing "improvements" that alienate old customers and fail to attract new ones. It's an old story, too often repeated.

Cheers
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I am trying Kayak My Trips for the next couple of months. The only issue thus far is it repeatedly transposes my FF # with the ticket # on airline reservations. The rest, even data from a small hotel, seems fine. We'll see how it goes.

TripIt Pro had slowly broken down for me over the last few months. It became way to annoying to edit everything from seat assignments to check-in/check-out dates.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:52 am

I'm actually a big fan of Hipmunk, it's a pretty cool flight and hotel metasearch and I like the interface. It's nice if you're more of a visual person since it shows you actual blocks of time that each flight will take.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:13 am

I was wondering if anyone can comment on how other services handle adding meetings? I've been a big fan of TripIt, and luckily I haven't had any real problems with imports, like some others are reporting.

But in addition to using TripIt for flight and hotel info, I also like to put in meeting details. And this is an area that hasn't improved much in the few years I've been using the service. For instance, why for meetings do they use the same kind of fields as if this was a normal travel reservation? Supplier info, reservation #, booking agent, etc...aren't really relevant to most meetings, and they leave off the kind of information we would like, like a field for the phone number and email address of the people we're meeting with.

They did make a start towards a nice change with the redesign, in that they will now auto-complete some information from past itineraries when you start typing. So I can start typing an address and it will suggest possible matches, which is great, except that to figure out what to start typing I already need to have looked up the address, and at that point I might as well just copy and paste into TripIt. What would be better is if when you started an itinerary for a city you had previously visited, it would provide you with a list of activities/meetings you have done on previous trips to that location. I know we tend to visit the same clients each time we're in town, would save a lot of time if I could pick them from a list and have the address, attendees, and contact info already filled out.

So do any of the other services do a better job at this part? I had tried TripCase a few months back, and IIRC they were worse than TripIt for meetings...but I haven't tried anyone else.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MP, SW Companion Pass, National ES
Kayak Preferred

I've been using Kayak Trips for several years and have continued to be impressed as they have improved there system repeatedly. Just set up Tripit (free) today. Looks very similar to Kayak, but Kayak is free with no ads on either their app or website, that's fantastic. Also, had an email from a travel agent for an upcoming family vacation and Kayak parsed this out and pulled out the hotel details automatically when I forwarded it on. Tripit could not do this and made it a "note." Last summer we had a flight delayed 6 hours and Kayak sent me a notice allowing us to avoid going to the airport and sitting for hours. I get updates on my phone from Kayak about gate changes or delays always in time to be of use, and it's all free. They have also launched free flight tracking on their mobile apps (I use IOS). Very very happy with Kayak.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:45 pm

Resurrecting an old thread here, based on my recent experiences using Tripit (Free version) and Kayak My Trips, both on Android.

Kayak My Trips:
---------------------
+ cleaner app interface

+ no ads (Tripit has an ad for itself at the bottom of the app)

+ free flight status updates. works well. sends you email and also displays flight status in the app when you ask for it

+ airport terminal maps displayed

- some itineraries take a long time to appear in kayak (some as much as 6 hours!). it's also inconsistent: sometimes, it appears on Kayak seconds after I forward the email, sometimes, it takes a couple hours

- poor offline support: doesn't store the whole email you sent it so you can access it when your phone is offline. matters for things like airbnb where the "notes" section can contain lots of valuable info

+/- general info displayed is a relatively more minimal. this can be a positive or a negative

Tripit:
---------------------
+ works better when completely offline. all data including

+ shows weather forecast at destination for your entire trip (useful)

+ emails forwarded appear in the itinerary very fast (within a couple minutes almost all the time)

+/- general info displayed is a bit more detailed. this can be a positive or a negative

- even flight status requires upgrade to Tripit pro. sheesh.

- app is a bit distracting (eg, includes an ad for Tripit at the bottom all the time)

- app design is a bit funky: the back button doesn't work like I'd expect it to, and keeps quitting the app instead

- got "terminal map not available" for major airports (which worked fine in tripit)

Conclusion so far:
--------------------
No clear win so far, but I'm leaning towards Kayak. If I get more out of using either app, I'll post an update here.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RemoteControl
Resurrecting an old thread here, based on my recent experiences using Tripit (Free version) and Kayak My Trips, both on Android.

Kayak My Trips:
---------------------
+ cleaner app interface

+ no ads (Tripit has an ad for itself at the bottom of the app)

+ free flight status updates. works well. sends you email and also displays flight status in the app when you ask for it

+ airport terminal maps displayed

- some itineraries take a long time to appear in kayak (some as much as 6 hours!). it's also inconsistent: sometimes, it appears on Kayak seconds after I forward the email, sometimes, it takes a couple hours

- poor offline support: doesn't store the whole email you sent it so you can access it when your phone is offline. matters for things like airbnb where the "notes" section can contain lots of valuable info

+/- general info displayed is a relatively more minimal. this can be a positive or a negative

Tripit:
---------------------
+ works better when completely offline. all data including

+ shows weather forecast at destination for your entire trip (useful)

+ emails forwarded appear in the itinerary very fast (within a couple minutes almost all the time)

+/- general info displayed is a bit more detailed. this can be a positive or a negative

- even flight status requires upgrade to Tripit pro. sheesh.

- app is a bit distracting (eg, includes an ad for Tripit at the bottom all the time)

- app design is a bit funky: the back button doesn't work like I'd expect it to, and keeps quitting the app instead

- got "terminal map not available" for major airports (which worked fine in tripit)

Conclusion so far:
--------------------
No clear win so far, but I'm leaning towards Kayak. If I get more out of using either app, I'll post an update here.
Excellent summary!

I've been getting a bit Alex with tripit lately, too. Mainly that it automatically wants to make all my trips visible to "My Network", whatever that is... I've been on tripit for several years and as others have said it's just going downhill.

Am planning to try Kayak for a bit, too and will report back.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Kayak trips vs. Tripit

Set up Kayak this morning and looking good so far. Interface feels much nicer than Trip It and it has done a better job at importing some events like car services and cruise excursions. Not getting the several hour lag that others reported...maybe just 10-15 min for the less standard activities.

Only thing I've run into is that when I try to access terminal maps for some airports, I see little boxes indicating that maps exist, but they won't load and I just get a "Terminal map unavailable" message. Anyone else experience this in the Android app?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:15 am

Kayak Pro vs TripIt - Recent Experience

For some time, I have been sending my info to both TripIt (Free not Pro) and Kayak to see which one was best for me. Today I had a conference confirmation which was essentially a manual email from a person confirming the details. I sent it to both Kayak and TripIt, not really expecting anything other than for it to flag as unreadable.

TripIt: Flagged the mail and let me parse and add in the information manually.
Kayak: Sent me a note that they were working on it. 30 minutes later, it was automatically added to the correct trip without my doing anything.

Also today I made a change to flight and hotel reservations and sent the updates in.

TripIt: Flagged the new airline update as conflict and let me easily resolve the conflict. Just added both hotel reservations without flagging any conflict.
Kayak: Replaced the old airline reservation with the new one. Replaced the old hotel reservation with the new one.

Neither were bad experiences, but I have to admit, Kayak impressed me with what must be human intervention for the complex or non-standard confirmations.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
Have to say I'm impressed with Kayak too ...... I hadn't utilized this feature before but after reading your note sent my stash of confirms to Kayak to try it out - it even imported two emails with nothing more than dates and links to a house rental (summer vacation) .......

going to continue to try both Tripit and Kayak for a while to find the differences .......
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:49 am

I have used Tripit (free), Kayak, and Tripcase.

Tripit (free) - no alerts
Kayak - I like that's clean interface, free alerts, sometimes baggage information, pretty instant notification on gate changes, flight changes
Tripcase - pretty much similar to Kayak, but I felt that tripcase was always delayed in sending flight change notifications. I believe Tripcase uses worldmate services to provide alerts.

For me winner is Kayak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.