Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Alternate take:

http://ozar.me/2012/10/why-im-return...ft-surface-rt/
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
He has a good point on the Office Updates - for some reason, those are accessible outside the tile environment. Sloppy.

He also has a good point on waiting for the Pro version for his personal situation - but I personally want a lightweight machine with longer battery life. Pro sounds awesome, but it'll cost more, weigh more and last shorter on its battery. As long as most of my apps eventually make it to RT, I'll be happy.

Even though I'm a massive Android fan, I feel that Surface is in many ways lightyears ahead of what Google has done for the tablet look and feel of their devices.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second day in - I've mastered all the gestures and can swipe my way around now. Still find it odd how the desktop mode is even around. New apps pop up daily, some lousy, some amazing.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
It would have been better to have 2 Windows 8's front doors. Have Metro default as "on" to touch enabled devices. Leave it as an option for non touch, with the classic UI as the default.

Kinda the way Apple did with iOS/OSX Launchpad.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Waiting for a Surface Pro here, I'm upgrading my PC to Windows 8 in the mean time though so I can get familiar with it for when I get my Surface.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skofarrell
It would have been better to have 2 Windows 8's front doors. Have Metro default as "on" to touch enabled devices. Leave it as an option for non touch, with the classic UI as the default.

Kinda the way Apple did with iOS/OSX Launchpad.
After a couple of days with W8 on all my devices and my Surface on its first trip, I disagree - Metro is the new way to go, and even on my non-touch Asus laptop, I love having it. I think they did the right thing to try and get people away from the old and over to the new.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by ScottC
After a couple of days with W8 on all my devices and my Surface on its first trip, I disagree - Metro is the new way to go, and even on my non-touch Asus laptop, I love having it. I think they did the right thing to try and get people away from the old and over to the new.
The real test for Microsoft is seeing if they can convince people of this. IMHO W8 is a big step up in every way, but they need to win over the stubborn folks who fear change.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The real test for Microsoft is seeing if they can convince people of this. IMHO W8 is a big step up in every way, but they need to win over the stubborn folks who fear change.
The upside is that a large number of customers will be buyers of a new computer - and they won't have a choice

Apparently already 4 million people upgraded over the weekend - not a bad start.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Then why have desktop mode at all?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:43 am
Suspended

Desktop mode is needed for legacy apps, I presume?

Legacy software helps keep the Windows monopoly entrenched.

So what is the upgrade policy for popular software, like Quicken, Office, Photoshop Elements, etc., when they come out with metro-fied versions?

If people couldn't run their existing apps. people might hold off on upgrading.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Then why have desktop mode at all?
T'is a good question. I can see why they have it on the upcoming pro, but don't quite get why it is there on RT. I like having it, as it does give me a "real" windows environment, but it still only works with RT apps.

Flew out of Seattle yesterday and got quite a few people stop and ask me about it at the airport
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Desktop mode is needed for legacy apps, I presume?

Legacy software helps keep the Windows monopoly entrenched.

So what is the upgrade policy for popular software, like Quicken, Office, Photoshop Elements, etc., when they come out with metro-fied versions?

If people couldn't run their existing apps. people might hold off on upgrading.
There are no legacy apps on RT. I'd respect the tablet a lot more if they did away with the legacy mode, and didn't refer to the device as a PC (as it does on every setting).
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:36 pm
Suspended

I heard you have to go to the Desktop for the Office RT.

Plus there are old Windows control panels there which could change settings on the device?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver

Plus there are old Windows control panels there which could change settings on the device?
Sounds like Oprah is a fan...she added it to her list of "favorite things". I'm not a huge Oprah follower so I'm not sure exactly what that means other than an endorsement by her.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/oprah-l...esbenz-people/
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No and yes.

Office has live tiles preinstalled to launch its apps. Yes, there is still an old school control panel if you want to tinker with things. The vast majority of those settings are also available in the modern settings swipe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.